4.2ghz on i5 3570k overclock question.

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello, I am looking to achieve 4.2 ghz on my 3570k. I have read on a few other forum websites that with the 3570k, you can go into your bios, change the core clock to 4.2ghz, and just leave the voltage setting on "auto" and it will work without problems. Is there any truth behind this?

I am currently clocked at 4.2 ghz and I am in the middle of tinkering with the voltage to get it up to where I don't crash while stress testing with prime 95. I think that if I can just set my core clock to 4.2ghz and leave the voltage on "auto" it would be very simple.

Can I do this safely? Are there any issues with doing it this way? My mainboard is an Asrock z77 extreme4 in case that matters at all.

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
What kinda Cooling are you Running?? Air or Water?? Yes you can change your Ratio to 4.2ghz on Auto Vcore but its best to change Vcore when Overclocking!! Set it at 4.2Ghz at 1.250v & Test with Prime95 & use Real Temp to monitor your temps!!

Keep in Mind Ivy Bridge Max Temp is 105c I would keep it Under 90c!! so w/e Temps you're getting at 4.2ghz you maybe can go Higher :))

jupitor45424

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
You need to change your load line cal to level 2 or 3. Set your turbo voltage and VTT voltage to offset and set both of them to the lowest + offset possible.

Disable turbo mode. Stress test cpu and amke sure it isn't going into turbo mode. Increase VTT offset by +1 until stable. Enable turbo mode in bios.

1a: Now with ratio at stock bump it up by 1 at a time and stress test.
2a: If it passes repeat 1a
3a: if it fails increase turbo to next number.
4a if it passes repeat step 1a. If it fails repeat step 3a

This isn't the optimal way but for 4.2Ghz this will work and get you a much lower temp across all cores. BTW, if it ever crashes during games, ect bump the VTT up by 1. Not sure why but the OC will be 24/7 stable in intel burn test but crash in game. I think it has to do with going in and out of turbo. So also trying load line cal level 3 might work. I only had this crashing issue with 3570k @ 4.5Ghz and was an easy fix. 4.2Ghz shouldn't produce this issue.

mr1hm

Distinguished
If you're on a decent Air cooler (i.e. Hyper 212+/Evo) I'd just bump the Turbo CPU Ratio to 42 and see if it's stable first.

If it's not stable, your going to need to play with the voltages.

If your using the stock heatsink/fan that the CPU came with. I say grab a aftermarket cooler first cause these CPUs tend to heat up quite a bit.

I have the same CPU/MOBO as you do with a Hyper 212+ that I've been using for... a while... I had it since the AMD Phenom II X4 960T.

I'm at 4.4GHZ with about 1.200v-1.240v.
- The CPU voltage needed at certain speeds depends on your specific CPU so you'll need to mess around with the BIOS for a bit.
- You could try to use Fixed voltage just to see the amount of voltage your CPU would be stable at @ (whatever speed you choose).

- Also, if I remember correctly, Asrock Z77 Extreme4's older bios versions such as the ones released before P2.30 (or maybe 2.30 as well), had weird LLC issues.
- For example: While Level 5 LLC should provide the most vdroop on your CPU under load, Level 1 LLC would provide the most vdroop so if you have some experience in BIOS flashing I'd recommend it.
- My Extreme4 came with BIOS 2.00 and I am now on P2.70 which is perfectly fine for my setup + the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC

Heres a guide that helped me getting started: http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Good luck ;)