Mushkin Chronos SSD write benchmark well below mfg rating

jpate86

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I have a 60 GB Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SSD (exact model page on newegg) and I am concerned my write speeds are low. I get excellent sequential read speeds of 400 + MBps. However my write speeds benchmark at only around 70 give or take a meg or two. Mushkin rates the sequential write speed at 495 MBPS. I don't expect it to go that fast obviously, but it seems like I should be doing better than 70 MBPS. I have been using Performance Test made by Passmark to test out the drive speed. I did notice when using ATTO or the advanced test in the Passmark software, I can achieve MUCH higher write speeds when it uses higher block sizes.

What concerned me was when I realized that my Western Digital 1TB Green drive (WDC10EARS) was benchmarking higher on the standard Passwark sequential write test. This did not seem correct to me. I have checked my SATA drivers, AHCI is enabled in the BIOS, updated the firmware to 5.02, went through the SSD optimization thread on this forum, amongst other things. After all of this I have not been able to increase the write speed on the standard Passmark test in any significant way.

The one thing that concerned me after doing quite a bit of research was that I have accidentally tripped the write throttling switch in the SSD firmware. This is my first venture into the SSD world, so I did not even realize that was a feature until I started looking into the write speeds. Before I knew about that I was benchmarking freely. I wasn't doing anything too crazy (fortunately) because I was aware of the finite limits of NAND memory, but I did do numerous write intensive operations without concern. However Mushkin claims they provide "un-throttled" firmware which would lead me to believe that these throttling features are not enabled on their drives. Is their anyway to check if you have engaged the write throttling on an SSD?

If anyone could provide guidance regarding this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Below is a screen shot of the Crystal Disk report if that would help diagnose the issue.

ssd.PNG

jpate86

Honorable
May 5, 2012

MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard

SSD connected to SATA 1, 1 TB Wester Digital on SATA 2, and DVD drive on SATA 3

Secure Erase your drive to restore it to fresh-out-of-the-box condition.
Do a fresh install of Windows with the drive on port SATA1 in AHCI mode.
Make sure your SSD is the only drive connected when doing the Windows install.
When done perform an ATTO benchmark test to see if you are getting advertised speeds.

jpate86

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I would really like to avoid a wipe and fresh install. It is such an ordeal to load all of the software I need. Is there any plausible way to take a system image, secure erase the drive, and restore the image in the most inefficiency/least amount of data possible? Right now I have 15 GB free out of a usable 55.7 GB. I am sure I could trim that down a decent amount as well. Is it likely that the DuraClass switch would get tripped after a secure erase if you restored about 30-40 GB of data to it?