Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Overheats w/ Power Cord - HELP

Last response: in Windows XP
December 14, 2012 3:48:48 AM

i got xp pro sp3.. when i run my laptop on battery it doesnt overheat. but when i connect my power cord, it overheats.. i tried 2 other powercords and thats not the culprit. it there a way to make the laptop stay the same temperature as when its on battery?
a c 219 D Laptop
December 14, 2012 12:41:26 PM

Sure, open it up, clean out the fans, remove the heatsink, apply new heat grease, re-install it.

The reason it overheats on the power cord is that on battery laptops generally slow down the CPU and video card to save power. Replacing a power cord to fix a heat issue is like washing your car to fix the engine.
m
l
December 14, 2012 4:13:24 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Sure, open it up, clean out the fans, remove the heatsink, apply new heat grease, re-install it.

The reason it overheats on the power cord is that on battery laptops generally slow down the CPU and video card to save power. Replacing a power cord to fix a heat issue is like washing your car to fix the engine.

i was thinking about getting a macbook air.. do u think this will help in terms of battery issues and overheating?

also, have u heard of Rightmark CPU Clock Utility? do u think this will help me with my xp?
m
l
a c 219 D Laptop
December 27, 2012 3:58:54 PM

koolx said:
i was thinking about getting a macbook air.. do u think this will help in terms of battery issues and overheating?

also, have u heard of Rightmark CPU Clock Utility? do u think this will help me with my xp?

Buying a new computer will "fix" the issues hehe. Just like buying a new car will "fix" any issues with the old car.

You can try the clock utility, may help if you underclock the CPU. You should be able to change the settings in the BIOS also to just run it on power saving mode all the time, or in the power options in control panel.
m
l
!