Weird sound coming from PSU

Hey, Finally got my PC, build it pretty good on a HAF 932, now I put my ear very close to the Rear grill of the PSU and I hear weird noises, I know for sure its not from the motherboard xD... its a Corsair 950w (black and yellow) looks sweet xD. I bought it from Newegg... btw I just hear those sounds like once in a minute, but it was constantly doing it while installing OS, Should I contact Newegg or Corsair for RAM//replace..? o.O

Also one quicky question ^.^ I got that Asus premium mobo,

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366

Got a 6g/b WD hard drive, How do I know its operating at 6 g/b? and not 3g/b? Its connected on the right Sata slots ^.^ (gray ones) but I don't see em on Bios, I only see my DVD reader as Sata 1... :p Do I have to tweak something on its Jumpers? Im kinda lost ^.^ let me know asap plz.. Thanks!!
10 answers Last reply
More about weird sound coming
  1. For your HD, use an HD benchmarking utility.

What kind of noise is the PSU making? You can certainly RMA it if it's annoying, but a little coil whine is not a dangerous thing.
  2. Ugh, I don't know that much about electricity and PSU, but humm.. Imagine when you plug a xtension cord into the wall but you don't plug it good enough like it will make sound and u will see like the electricity hitting it.. well it sounds like that but soft ^.^ Right now everything is running smooth though,, All I hear are the fans :p but im still worried.. "/
  3. Anyway, Does anyone know how to make sure im running 6g/b sata? :s
  4. If it's snapping, popping, or such then yes it's a concern.

Here is a hard drive utility that will tell you how fast your HD is running:
    http://www.hdtune.com/index.html
  5. Is there smoke? :P Some hd's will whine a little when you put a load on them. larger power supplies(transformers) will hum especially if you put your ear to them. . Snaps crackles and pops are not usually good you can usually smell the burning. Even my wife's low wattage pc will whine a little every once in a while. Mine screams at me all day. But yes I agree if it is annoying RMA it. IS BIGGER ALWAYS BETTER?
  6. man I was going to buy a couple of wd 640 6g/b sata but it's 3g/b brother went on sale didn't feel bad cause they cant run that fast but as soon as I bought em the 6's went on sale for same price baaaaa would like to try em just to see.
  7. now I put my ear very close to the Rear grill of the PSU and I hear weird noises,
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

air turbulence from your PSU fans.

If it's a new PSU it shouldn't be the fan starting to get worn out which will make ricketty or scratching sounds. What kind of sound, like a squeal?
  8. definitely not the fan, idk how to explain the sound, its kind of annoying when it does it.. like i described above.. some kind of electricity sound... :S
  9. There's picture files hosting. Too bad I don't know any sound file hosting sites because you could record the sound and we could listen and try to analyze it.

You always load a video with sound from the back of the PSU on Youtu*e and we could check it. I'm now curious what is so odd about this sound. Like a humming or small crackles like a lightbulb going out, flickering? Does it make the sound on idle, full load, or randomly?
  10. tauro91 said:
    Got a 6g/b WD hard drive, How do I know its operating at 6 g/b? and not 3g/b?

Since any mechanical HD maxes out at only a fraction of that speed< i wouldn't worry about it until you are connecting a SSD or 2
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems