tauro91

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hey, Finally got my PC, build it pretty good on a HAF 932, now I put my ear very close to the Rear grill of the PSU and I hear weird noises, I know for sure its not from the motherboard xD... its a Corsair 950w (black and yellow) looks sweet xD. I bought it from Newegg... btw I just hear those sounds like once in a minute, but it was constantly doing it while installing OS, Should I contact Newegg or Corsair for RAM//replace..? o_O

Also one quicky question ^.^ I got that Asus premium mobo,

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366

Got a 6g/b WD hard drive, How do I know its operating at 6 g/b? and not 3g/b? Its connected on the right Sata slots ^.^ (gray ones) but I don't see em on Bios, I only see my DVD reader as Sata 1... :p Do I have to tweak something on its Jumpers? Im kinda lost ^.^ let me know asap plz.. Thanks!!

tauro91

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Ugh, I don't know that much about electricity and PSU, but humm.. Imagine when you plug a xtension cord into the wall but you don't plug it good enough like it will make sound and u will see like the electricity hitting it.. well it sounds like that but soft ^.^ Right now everything is running smooth though,, All I hear are the fans :p but im still worried.. "/

zerkerdude

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Is there smoke? :p Some hd's will whine a little when you put a load on them. larger power supplies(transformers) will hum especially if you put your ear to them. . Snaps crackles and pops are not usually good you can usually smell the burning. Even my wife's low wattage pc will whine a little every once in a while. Mine screams at me all day. But yes I agree if it is annoying RMA it. IS BIGGER ALWAYS BETTER?

zerkerdude

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
man I was going to buy a couple of wd 640 6g/b sata but it's 3g/b brother went on sale didn't feel bad cause they cant run that fast but as soon as I bought em the 6's went on sale for same price baaaaa would like to try em just to see.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
now I put my ear very close to the Rear grill of the PSU and I hear weird noises,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

air turbulence from your PSU fans.

If it's a new PSU it shouldn't be the fan starting to get worn out which will make ricketty or scratching sounds. What kind of sound, like a squeal?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
There's picture files hosting. Too bad I don't know any sound file hosting sites because you could record the sound and we could listen and try to analyze it.

You always load a video with sound from the back of the PSU on Youtu*e and we could check it. I'm now curious what is so odd about this sound. Like a humming or small crackles like a lightbulb going out, flickering? Does it make the sound on idle, full load, or randomly?