Sign in with
Your question

Problem with 7850 OC?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 5:39:00 AM

I got a Sapphire 7850 OC edition with a stock of 920clock/1250memory. I overclocked it to 1050/1400. After the overclock, I started noticing that I would get some weird artifacts when playing game for about half a second. It doesn't happen often, but it annoys me. Additionally, when I surf the web, the internet would sometimes freeze for about minute, but I could still move my mouse around. Are these due to the high memory or clock?

More about : problem 7850

a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 5:41:23 AM

Only way to tell (well only way I know) is to ramp down to overclock on both the core and memory one at a time until the problem is fixed which could be a little time consuming
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 3:10:18 PM

realchaos said:
I got a Sapphire 7850 OC edition with a stock of 920clock/1250memory. I overclocked it to 1050/1400. After the overclock, I started noticing that I would get some weird artifacts when playing game for about half a second. It doesn't happen often, but it annoys me. Additionally, when I surf the web, the internet would sometimes freeze for about minute, but I could still move my mouse around. Are these due to the high memory or clock?

sounds like your oc is unstable. most guides for ocing the video card, have you oc the gpu, test it. find a stable place. then reset it, and oc the memory, and find a stable place.

after you oced it, did you test with furmark, or uningine? that should get you pretty close to stable. I did oc my card once, had the tests run ok, then when i played a game it didnt like it.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2013 4:21:50 PM

it's likely your memory causing those artifacts
1400 is a pretty large overclock

Nothing wrong with keeping the memory at default and overclocking the GPU
keep in mind these have pretty much the same bandwidth as 7870 already

m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 4:27:40 PM

as Mt Power said... your O.C. is not stable.
u need to find the stable clock, artifact and freeze a sign of u get it wrong...

U need to reset the O.C. and start by little and stress it, and repeat.. (step by step)

just keep in mind not all card is same, some are better at O.C. some cannot be O.C. -ed at all...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 5:27:51 PM

I used MSI Kombuster after every overclock in increments of 50. It appeared stable but then when I played games, it crashed so I don't really use those stress programs. I lowered the memory by 50 and lets see what happens
m
l
February 17, 2013 7:21:23 PM

Dont overclock the memory its useless and just makes it more unstable.
m
l
!