Memory isn't dual channel

G

I recently build a new system using an ASUS M4A785T-M motherboard, an AMD Athlon II X3 440 and 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 memory.

I installed the memory in the specific slots the motherboard's user manual instructs me, checked the memory with memtest, but CPU-Z tells me it's running in single channel.

I tried downgrading to an older version of CPU-Z, but the same thing. I triple-checked if the slots are the right ones, and they are.

What do you think the problem is? Is it just CPU-Z showing BS ? It is showing the correct timings, voltages and all for both the modules, and locates them in the right slots.

Thanks so much !

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Are you sure you've placed the RAMs on coupled position (side by side)? Try the other two slots, regardless what the manual told you.

Dual channel RAMs are (usually) pre-tested to ensure they do work in dual channel mode. However, there is a slim chance where a pair of dual channel RAM don't work together. If you're still having this issue despite all your efforts, you might want to consider RMA.

G

I tested the modules in another system( intel p55 based), and there, CPU-Z shows dual channel enabled. I will try all the slots and see what happens.

Is there much of a difference with dual channel as opposed to single channel? I do have 4 gb recognized by the mobo, and I won't be doing heavy duty stuff with it (I'm relying on the integrated graphics)...

G

I've never had problems with non-QVL memory... And I don't see why it shouldn't work. I mean, it posts, they are properly recognized and timed...

Are you saying to put the modules in the 2 blue slots? Without any free slots between them?

Read your manual, see p 1-13 reference. Before I posted, I read the pertinent parts of your manual - I know what to look for so it takes 3 seconds to find; takes more effort to D/L the manual; and more effort to repeat. The Blue slots may not help, but the sticks are 1600 MHz - so I tend not to second guess the manual.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I've never had problems with non-QVL memory... And I don't see why it shouldn't work. I mean, it posts, they are properly recognized and timed...

Are you saying to put the modules in the 2 blue slots? Without any free slots between them?
"Any free slots"?

Can I assume that you're putting your RAMs in cross configuration? For AMD platform, in order to activate the dual channel, you have to put it side by side in the same colored slots (coupled). What you're doing is for Intel based system. Which explains the RAM slots coloring difference.

And I thought I already said that it's supposed to be placed side by side... Must've been too vague of a description... Oh well... :lol: