Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Cooling for MSI GD70 & CM 692 AD.

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2010 8:39:05 AM

I have been looking through tons of cpu coolers for my upcoming new rig, and I wanted to get a cooler that was high performance.
What is more important is how it fits! The Cm 690 2 advanced can harness cpu coolers up to 177mm(6.96"), and the MSI board seems to
have good spacing between the North Bridge and the DIMM slots.

I have been looking at several buy the lastest one that I thought would be is the CM 212+, with its sleek design, and with the optional second fan, it would fit perfect, for 35$. I seen pictures on a forum and on a gd70 a 32mm fan would fit, so I only plan on putting 120x25mm so that won't be a problem. The only thing with and with most, is that I wouldn't be able to use the side fan(s), this is only what I think, I have not been able to figure it out, so I might just get the side panel with the window. Either way its cheap, and from what I read I can overclock kinda high. I did read that it runs out of steam if I get my OCing high, so I am not sure how well it will do at high speeds.

Second is the Hydro H50. It takes a lot less room and can get really good temps from what I read on the internet. Its about 2.5 times more $ than the 212+, but money for the heatsink is not a problem. With it I wouldnt have to worry about it getting in the way. I would end up having my 2x140mm's at the top doing all my exhaust if I did. Unless I used one of the top fan slots for the fan & radiator, which would actually work out well!
If I did use I would setup the push/pull to get more air flow, and on the top of the case it would suck the hot air out and get it out the top.
I know to get best results is to have fresh cold air from the outside, but its only a couple of degrees to put it on top then that won't matter.

Then I was looking at the Tuniq Tower 120 Exe. which is a beast and pretty much the same price as the H50. It got good ratings, but I read it was such a B#*ch to work with, and that many people hated it for this reason. I guess the mounting of it. It also has to do that it will be a tight fit. I am pretty sure theres a big chance that it covers my dimm slots.

I guess I am wanting one last approval, this quesiton has been back in fourth, I have always just chose the H50 cause of all the features I just said, I was only looking into air to see what was available. All I found with air was that most would take up to much room.

Anyways, since its a case by case situation literaly, I was wondering if anyone had a thought or idea, or any other recommendations for this setup.
I do plan on OCing my 955/965 as high as Ican get it and still being able to keep it stable, ands that why I thought the H50 would serve more purpose. Lastly this case has 10+ fans so air flow is going to be insane, and if I were to use one fan for the H50 then it wouldn't be a problem.

More about : cooling msi gd70 692

Best solution

April 2, 2010 11:13:58 AM

Have you changes you mind from your last thread when you decided to go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in a push pull setup?

If your concern is you might not be able to use your side fan, don't let that stop you from using it. Side fans in my experience over the CPU add little benefit with today's HSF. They were/are great for stock coolers so fresh air is blowing down onto the cooler. Side fans are best over the PCI slots to provide addition cooling for components... IMO
April 2, 2010 5:49:24 PM

tecmo34 said:
Have you changes you mind from your last thread when you decided to go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in a push pull setup?

If your concern is you might not be able to use your side fan, don't let that stop you from using it. Side fans in my experience over the CPU add little benefit with today's HSF. They were/are great for stock coolers so fresh air is blowing down onto the cooler. Side fans are best over the PCI slots to provide addition cooling for components... IMO

I just want to make sure I get the right one. I was checking cause someone told me(from another forum) that I am not going to be able to OC very far with it, so I checked and from the tests the guy who did them says he OCed a 920 to 4ghz w/212+. I also remember that someone told me that Intels run hotter then 955s so I would be able to crank the 955 a little higher in a stable condition.
So I am looking in to it a little more to make sure what I am getting, cause they both would fit perfect in my case, I am just wanting to get the best performance I can get.
Related resources
April 2, 2010 7:28:28 PM

I found a lot of info esp. at the link below. I also read some other threads on Toms, about this same question. It always works out to the advantage to the 212+ cause it gets the job done for 35$. Toms did an article which I will put a link also, showing that the 212+ is the best performance~price combinatation. But since the 212+ will fit perfectly and give me option of choosing the fans, I have plenty of spots to use the fan it comes with.
Also since I can choose the best fans, that will increase how good it cools. Not to mention how cool the case is going to be either way!
I do think you did point me in the right direction, I just needed to get some more info and proof, to justify a reason to get it.
I think it is exactly what I need for my new build. I am going to get it rolling, and once it is on its way get every thing clocked to where I want it.
Since I am just wanting 4.ghz on the 955, I don't need to worry about WC until I get bored and want 5.ghz!
Plus i like blue LED's and I in my book more fans=more cooler, so I am adding another 2 fans to my collection! Oh and I will put 12mm side fans, unless the stupid CM site would sell the side panels for more than a day. That last wave they were gone in a heartbeat.

Anyways thanks for the info, I am saving 45$ which is the cost of my fan conrtoller, but I am going to pay 20 on top for them to sleeve all my wires black! Instead of me spending all day doing it myself.
April 9, 2010 1:33:44 AM

Best answer selected by Salt-City_Slasher.
!