Sign in with
Your question

Harddrive Detected in BIOS...but not during Windows Installation

Last response: in Storage
May 5, 2012 3:45:21 PM

Hey guys
I recently just built my first computer. But there is an issue. When i go to install windows and it ask me where to install it from, my harddrive doesnt show up! Yet the harddrive shows up in the BIOS. What should i do? Ive checked my connections many times and i do not know what the issue is. Please help! Thank you!
a b G Storage
May 5, 2012 3:57:48 PM

A little more information would be nice, what kind of drive is it, what version of Windows are you trying to install?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 5, 2012 4:10:58 PM

It shows up during POST? You have the drive set in the boot order?
m
l
May 5, 2012 4:26:58 PM

yes the harddrive displays in POST and the drive is set in the boot order however it is not first in the boot order because i need to boot windows 7 from a disk. Also, i have changed whether the SATA is Native IDE to AHCSI (or watever it is) and in that case no harddrive or optical drive is in the BIOS
m
l
a b G Storage
May 5, 2012 4:46:11 PM

Full version of Windows? AHCI is the correct setting. Windows 7 needs no special drivers or anything........certain you have the drives plugged into the right SATA ports?
m
l
May 5, 2012 7:49:25 PM

Ok so they problem seems to be solved. I had to open up the command prompt at the windows installation screen to format in NTFS and make a partition for windows to recognize that the harddrive was there. Now it seems to be installing smoothly. Will keep you posted though. Thanks for the asssistance!
m
l
!