XPsp2 weird wmplayer.adm error in group policy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

(Sorry for the cross post, not sure which category this question would best
fit.)

Windows Server 2003 has a new Group Policy Manager plug-in that gives one a
resultant set of policies report. I'm having a weird problem trying to
generate a report on a 2003 server. It worked before.

I have an XP lab that was recently upgraded to SP2. Microsoft released new
ADM files to handle all the new features in SP2 (such as the firewall and
pop-up blocker), as well as a hotifx 842933 to allow 2000 & 2003 servers to
work with the new ADM files. I installed the hotfix, restarted, then
installed the new ADM files. I replaced these ADM files:
> conf.adm
> inetres.adm
> system.adm
> wmplayer.adm
> wuau.adm

From the desktop end, everything seems ok, but when I try to go to the Group
Policy Manager to do a report, I get the following error:

The .adm file "C:\WINDOWS\inf\wmplayer.adm" is not in a valid format and
must be replaced. Details: A string is expected at line 0

Any suggestions? I can uninstall the hotfix, and I kept backup copies of the
older ADM files, just in case. They were installed the normal way, just by
going to group policy and selecting Add/Remove Templates.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Sir Timbit

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Tinfoil hat securely fastened, Sir Timbit pounded the keyboard to produce
> They were installed the normal way, just by
> going to group policy and selecting Add/Remove Templates.

In what UI did you do this?

Thanks,

Laura
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Windows Server 2003.

Solved the problem. Somehow the OS ate the ADM files I just put there (in
c:\windows\inf.) I copied them a second time, ran the report and this time
it was error free. Not sure if it was a Windows file protection issue or
what, but it's good now. Tinfoil hat removed! :)

"Laura A. Robinson" <geekwench@snip.this.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Tinfoil hat securely fastened, Sir Timbit pounded the keyboard to produce
>> They were installed the normal way, just by
>> going to group policy and selecting Add/Remove Templates.
>>

> In what UI did you do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Laura
> safety
> deserve neither liberty nor safety.
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Tinfoil hat securely fastened, Sir Timbit pounded the keyboard to produce
> Windows Server 2003.
>
> Solved the problem. Somehow the OS ate the ADM files I just put there (in
> c:\windows\inf.) I copied them a second time, ran the report and this time
> it was error free. Not sure if it was a Windows file protection issue or
> what, but it's good now. Tinfoil hat removed! :)

Heh. I keep forgetting to change that attribution line default. :) Glad you
got it working!