Can I upgrade from Xp to windows 7 with a windows 7 oem?

vostroyan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I was wondering if I can upgrade my windows Xp to windows 7 Pro 64bit with Windows 7 OEM, is it possible? Also if I buy an OEM, will I still get Microsoft updates for windows?

You can't upgrade to Windows7 from Windows XP directly. You can upgrade from Windows XP to Vista and from Vista to Windows 7, but this will take a very long time to complete and is not recommended, and is likely to fail.
All versions of Windows can use Microsoft update.

To migrate from xp, you can use windows easy transfer to unload your settings and files to a separate device.
After installing windows 7, you can import them.
Apps and games will usually need to be reinstalled.
If you are going from 32 bit to 64 bit, you need to do this anyway.

I would suggest you buy a windows 7 home upgrade package instead. It is priced about the same as oem. It will give you full retail support which oem does not.

Is there anything you need from the pro version? Usually, for a home user, there is not.

If there is, you can upgrade windows 7 to pro by selecting the place upgrade option from within windows. Don't know the cost, but I suspect it is the difference between home and pro.

Yes, you cvan use any version to upgrade frome XP to windows 7. As Geofelt stated, the Upgrade version would be the best option.

Windows 7 does not really do a "upgrade", it does a new install. The is do to win 7 being a major shift from XP. Also as Geofelt state you can migrate so settings and things like your favorities to the new installation. email will NOT be migrated. Programs and Hareware drivers will not be migrated.

Windows 7 does not come with an email client. There are a couple of options such as:
(1) Use Microsoft Live mail"
(2) Use a 3rd party email program such as firefox.
(3) If you have a full version of Office with outlook, you can use outlook (Not outlook express.
(4) Hardest, but possible is to port microsoft vista winmail over.

Windows 7 provides:
(1) Free antivirus (microsoft securiety Suite (must download)
(2) a Good Back up program for imaging your "C" drive. This allows for a much easier method to re-install win7 PLUS all your programs, settings, Anything on your C drive when the image was made. (New to Windows 7)

And, Yes if you get the oem version you will still get all windows update.
Primary diff between OEM and the others is : cannot transfer to another system (ie new MB) UNLESS your MB dies. No support for problems.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I keep an XP Machine because there is a pile of useful legacy devices and software still.

I have learned not to use OEM windows anything. It's full retail for me. That way when something goes down and needs reinstalling, no hassle; no matter what you replace.

Installing fresh clean Windows by itself than upgrading is much better. Sure you can upgrade. Just leave your XP box alone and build a new computer with it's own windows 7 Retail.

vostroyan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I m planning on doing the custom install from Xp to 7 with the Windows 7 Pro OEM. Pro; has Xp mode. I m more of a gamer so I could just install most my games again. But the only thing that worries me is A. I change my mobo, what will happen. B. If my mobo dies (its new though) what happens. C. If Windows crashes, what do I do? I don't care about MS support, I have google and Tom's hardware for any questions.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> And again I would still get MS updates from an OEM copy?

Yes, but you must activate your OEM copy with a genuine activation code.

Until you activate Windows, you cannot access Windows Update.

Similarly, MS Security Essentials will not install before activation
(to the best of my knowledge).

MRFS

With OEM (Ref A:
If MB dies you can get a new MB and reuse your oem disk to install. You may have to call Microsoft and explain - But it is allowed.
IF you simply want to upgrade your MB (old MB still work), No

With C
If you did as I advised, used windows 7 back up to create a system image of your C drive. It is hassle free, Just pop your installation disk in and select repair, then repaire using image file. Fiften minutes you are back up and running. Everything that was on c drive when you created the image is like poof the majic dragon - it's all there!

Whatever version of windows you install, you will get all updates so long as you installed and activated a genuine windows os.
No copies, clones, pirated versions etc. Just one install per license.

Your games will amost always install properly on windows 7 natively; no need for XP mode. Way back, I tried civilization 2.42 using XP mode. It was a poor performing failure.
You are better off using a dual boot with XP and windows 7. Cheaper too.

With retail or upgrade, you can change your motherboard without any issues, just so long as you do not try to use the same license on multiple pc's.
You also can get microsoft support. It was very helpful to me getting upgrade to work on a 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade.

With oem, you are on your own. This forum can only help just so far. OEM is tied to the original motherboard. But, you can certainly replace a failed motherboard, or even use a different one if an exact replacement is not feasible. If reactivation fails, you may have to assure MS that you are not copying the license, and that it is still installed on only one OS.

As to crashes, be prepared. You can roll back updates which can cause problems, but more likely, you screwed up, or contracted a virus or malware infection.
That is why you should be prepared with a suitable EXTERNAL backup.

If you replace xp with windows 7, you are entitled to use the upgrade version.