Windows 7 32bit only detected 2gb rams while i have 3.

wahzi

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Hi there,
I just bought a new pc few days ago and i was using it happily for a day or so until i sudden go to check for the properties of my computer and saw that it stated i only hav 2.0gb of rams, which i'm sure i have the Corsair TR3X3G1333C9 XMS 3x1GB rams installed.
I'm using windows 7 32-bit, which i know it only detect maximum up to 4gb of rams, but i only got 3, and it should be detectable.
While the CPU-Z detected correctly for 3, but the windows don't. And i have no idea what had gone wrong, whether is it my asus P6T SE mobo or what?
Please help me. THanks in advance.

Available
Cached
Total
Installed
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

wahzi

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Anybody can help? I've read other posts, they said using memory remap, but bios doesn't have this feature. So how am I gonna fix it? update the bios or what?
Please help me, I'm kinda noob in this. Any reply is much appreciated.

It is NOT a 'Mapping' or 'Update' issues at all. Thankfully, you posted what I asked for - in short the 'RAM' isn't being 'seen correctly' in the BIOS.

Therefore, the probable causes: Incorrect DIMM slots, Bad DIMM slot, Under powered, Bad stick are the likely subjects.

Incorrect DIMM slots
RAM needs to be installed in the RED slots only.

Bad DIMM slot
Use Isopropyl alcohol to clean the DIMM slots - clean the RAM contacts, leave damp insert in DIMM slot, wipe-off, and repeat (2) times per DIMM slot. During production machine oils are used to form/shape metals {DIMM Slot} and often aren't properly cleaned.

Under Powered
As I posted before, enter the Speed and Timings manually into the BIOS -> 1333 9-9-9-24-2T.
See pages 3-12~3-16. Also, increase the QPI/DRAM Voltage 1.1~1.25v. Normally, this is not needed with 1.5v RAM or in a 3-stick install.

Bad Stick
Create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest86 {ISO/Zip} and run (2) passes - http://www.memtest.org/

Report back your findings, and Good Luck!

wahzi

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I've tried to change the speed, timings and the voltage in the BIOS as recommended by jaquith, but no hope. Then I tried to swap it one by one, and found that one of the stick is defective as the slots are working fine with the other 2 sticks.
So I sent that defective stick for RMA, and just received a new 1 from the shop this morning and went back home inserted it into the slot, power on, finally, the system detected all 3gb. Finally problem solved!

Btw, thanks for all of you who take time to reply on my post. Really appreciate it. THanks a lot!

wahzi

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I thought the 3x1GB are triple channel, so why it's not triple but single?
I know little about these, so please enlighten me.

Duh?!! Yeah... 3 sticks = Triple Channel; size has nothing do do with it; assuming supported sizes and correct slots are being used. If you want 3GB that's okay with me.

Example:
UDR3_DDR.jpg

The Differences are Shared system memory vs Dedicated system memory -> IF it is the Dedicated system memory then there's where your missing RAM went; however if it;s Shared system memory then the RAM is still 'missing'.

Example {My wife's rig} note the differences in memory:
WEI_HJ_i7930_IDE.gif

My wife's rig is a 128 GB Kingston SATA2 Gaming MLC SSD. The C300 and newer SSDs run faster. The second HDD is RAID 1 Hitachi 1TB/7200/32MB {Intel RAID}. She also has 1600 CAS 9 3X2GB Dominator; vs the CAS 8 on the rest.

Here's the 'old' HDD data from the UD3R; I haven't looked since I moved them to the ASUS P6X58D-E:
RAID_SSD_ATTO.jpg

Latest posts