Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a nice IPS monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2010 4:20:51 PM

Hello there!

I'm looking for a nice IPS monitor to replace my current 22" IPS. As most of you know, 95% of all monitors use TN or Twisted-Nematic display technology. This means low cost and low response times, but the trade-offs are bad viewing angles and colour reproduction.

My main concern is viewing angles, and i believe IPS monitors do the best job at this, though i'm willing to consider PVA/MVA alternatives if they are as good as the IPS. It all depends on the exact implementation in specific products, i guess.

So to list my 'demands', i would get this:
  • Have wide viewing angles without colour distortion (most important)
  • Have acceptable response times enough for movies/gaming
  • Have 1680x1050 resolution, and be in 19" - 22" range - no bigger!
  • Have digital interface (DVI/HDMI/Displayport)
  • Can turn off the small Power-On LED (would be nice)
  • Has to support VESA mount 75 or 100mm (most do)

When searching for IPS monitors, there's not alot available. I did found this monitor though:

LG Flatron W2220P-SF

It has 1680x1050 resolution, is IPS, rated 5ms reponse time. They say its "5ms ISO", unclear to me whether that means ordinary grey-to-grey or more real Tr+Tf response times. Anyone has a clue? Anyway, this monitor sells to close to 250 euro, or 300 dollars i guess. So its not even that expensive, being an IPS-monitor.

My main question is if anyone has comparable offerings to this one, or can advise me on MVA/PVA monitors which excell at viewing angles.

Thanks alot!
    - sub
  • More about : nice ips monitor

March 15, 2010 6:18:22 PM

This youtube-video shows differences in viewing angles:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmuO_6Ttrho

The TN-displays will have weird colour reproduction for even modest viewing angles... that's why i don't want them. :p 
    a c 196 C Monitor
    March 15, 2010 6:25:52 PM

You only have two options:

1. Dell 2209WA
    2. LG Flatron W2220P-SF

I'm not aware of any other e-IPS monitors with 1680 x 1050 resolution.
    Related resources
    March 15, 2010 10:53:09 PM

Out of those two, the LG looks like the better choice.

I guess i'll give it a try and buy one, i'll report back here with my findings and hopefully pics.
    Anonymous
    a b C Monitor
    November 30, 2010 3:16:03 AM

hi hasmukh
    !