AMD FX6100, safe Temps

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hello, i was recently told that my AMD FX6100 might be bottle-necking my new 7870 2GB card, so far I've overclocked it to 3.7GHZ at stock cooler, and my current temps are around 30-40 when idle, and 40-51 when in games like World of Warcraft and Dayz,
my question is, can i overclock it some more, and whats the highest temperature i could probably take with my stock cooler?

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
RUN PRIME!! Don't take temps while running games. That's not accurate! My i7 while at @4.8GHz reaches only 45ºC while playing but 75ºC with Prime95!
Run Prime, if your temps stay under 85ºC you're fine (remember, during summer they will rise so add about 10ºC to stay safe).
What I would do is overclock it until I reach 79ºC with Prime then leave it to that, it will leave you some headroom if you do that :)

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

prime 95, dont think i've ever used it but ill give it a go, how long should i leave it running for?

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
i've ran prime95 for around 30 mins and my current temps are

CPU = 59degrees
Motherboard = 69Degrees
GPU = 29 degrees
Harddrive = 25 degrees

but without running prime and just running games my CPU is around 35-45 and my motherboard around 50 and gpu 35-40.
can i maybe overclock it to 3.8 or 3.9?

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

im guessing i could easily get 3.9 or 4 then in that case (im hoping) but what happens if it runs over 60C ? will my cpu fail and just break over a short period of time, if so would this take any other componments with it ? or would i just have to replace the cpu.
Thanks

The CPU will throttle itself to a lower speed to cool down -- it won't blow-up :D

Are you at stock at the moment ?

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

nah atm im at 3.7, have been for the past 2 days and i've been fine, in a few weeks im looking to get a liquid cooler so i can push 4.5 or something around that, but at the moment im on a stock cooler aswell so im going to try 3.9 right now and check the temps when im idle and while ingame

That's great!

Did you disable Turbo ??

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

no, havent really looked into that but i'm playing Dayz as we speak on 4.1ghz and the improvment in fps is simply amazing and im still below 60C but only by 1-3C so i think im going to leave it at that, im happy i could get to 4.1 on a stock cooler.

and by the way what is Turbo may i ask, never looked into to it as i said :p

You've got a great chip !!

Your base clock is 3300 MHz (or, 16.5 x 200MHz x 6 cores /// across all in multi-threaded apps)
Turbo1 frequency . . . . 3600 MHz (more than 3 cores /// 18 x 200MHz - other cores down-clocked)
Turbo2 frequency . . . . 3900 MHz (3 cores or less /// 19.5 x 200MHz - other cores down-clocked)

If you have not disabled Turbo, and simply raised the stock multiplier from 16.5 to 20.5, Turbo1 becomes 22 x 200MHz and Turbo2 becomes 23.5 x 200MHz !!!

:bounce:

(don't touch anything :lol: ) What's your motherboard ? It is possible that the higher Turbos are being 'down-clocked' in some fashion. Bumping up against 60C should not be a worry, and will only get better with your new cooling!

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

my motherboard is a ASUS M5A78L-M, im quite happy now because i've being wondering why Dayz has being lagging when i just bought a 7870 and someone mentioned my cpu was bottlenecking it or something and that i should overclock it, so far its worked and my temps are below 60C :D

do you think my systems stable? i've heard people say when you overclock you should always run prime95 for a good few hours, but if i did now im sure i'd get temps of around 80C

Prime is a torture test to check for stability.

While it's always a good idea to check overall stability, beyond your typical usage your system will never actually run at that level, right?

Put your system through it's normal paces. If you are not crashing out don't sweat it until you get your new cooling.

There are other tests available to you. OCCT or the stability test in AMD OverDrive, among others, will work just dandy.

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

well i leave my computer on around 15-18 hours a day probably even 21-22 hours so will me overclocking it effect it, when i sleep i normally leave a movie playing on it, and when im awake its either idle or im playing wow or dayz

If your rig is idled (or sleeping), playing a movie .. no worries.

Sometimes a rig will blue-screen coming out of sleep if it is *unstable* in some fashion. This can be the result of a failing OC, but not in all cases.

The 95w FX6xxx-series are known high-clockers. It would not be uncommon for you to run 4.5-4.6GHz on good air (or water) without Turbo.

There are a multitude of other tweaks available to you. For recommendations you may ask a Mod to move this thread to the AMD Over-Clockers, or simply start a new thread.

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

would you kindly mined telling me some of those tweaks please ? im not sure how to find the mods etc and btw when i mean idle i mean im just leaving it there doing nothing, it doesnt hibernate or anything, i turned that off

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I was saying Prime temps... I wouldn't run a chip at 85ºC while gaming! Probably not even 60ºC...

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Play with the base clock, FX chips go well with it, normally you don't even have to rise voltage to do it and you ca get some extra 100MHz or so. Like Wisecracker said, you could get 4.5GHz or even 4.6GHz with some base clock twecking on good chips quite easly :D

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

im quite new to things like that so im going to defiently read up on it and try to squeeze as much performance as i can out of my cpu :)

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

You can and it will be worth it! But I would use MSI afterburner... It's super super easy (easier than overclock your CPU)

First thing is to review and take notes on the BIOS from your motherboard manual -- concentrate on the *AI Tweaker* Menu. Understanding the terminology used, and how it applies, is the most important step for others helping you.

Most importantly, you should learn how to re-set your CMOS (this re-sets your BIOS to default). You should also jot down your boot sequence and HDD set-up for when you have to re-set your CMOS.

I suspect you are running with volt settings on *Auto* That's all well and good, but further tweaking will require that you take manual control.

It's not actually that difficult, and your experience will come with trial and error. That's just the way it is. All chips are a little different, and you simply want to find the best combination of clock speed and voltages for your chip.

I don't have an FX6xxx, nor do I have any experience with your motherboard. That's why I suggested either moving the thread, or starting a new one in the AMD Over-Clocking area. Those Gurus have much more specific experience than me.

But with the steps you have taken so far, you rig should be quite snappy, and is not holding back your HD7870.

Don't believe everything folks tell yah on the internets :lol:

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

In MSI Afterburner i maxed out all the clocks, from Core clock (from 1000 to 1400) and Memory Clock (from 1200 to 1450) and i also upped fan speed to 70% to get it cooler while gaming, but whenever i try to play a game with these clocks i get a blue screen, i havent touched the power or voltage settings so im thinking i have to up the power abit so it handles the max core mhz speeds i want?

im not sure if someone could run me through it i'd be really grateful :)
btw it doesnt let me change anything to the Core voltage, only power,memory,fan and core clocK.
another thing is, msi afterburner doesnt show my exact gpu model etc, it just says 7800 series, is that ok?

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Yes, it only shows 7800 series, it's normal...
You can't run 1400 MHz!! WOOW xD Go for 1050 MHz to start with and then climb 10 MHz at a time or something... Don't go all out... If you get 1200MHz it's crazy! (Same for the VRAM).
Put power to 100% when you overclock btw

Some 7850 don't let you change voltages for you to change them you have to go to settings first and unlock voltage control... Take it easy! Graphics card don't go to well with voltage changes...