Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX6100, safe Temps

Last response: in Overclocking
February 17, 2013 11:50:11 AM

Hello, i was recently told that my AMD FX6100 might be bottle-necking my new 7870 2GB card, so far I've overclocked it to 3.7GHZ at stock cooler, and my current temps are around 30-40 when idle, and 40-51 when in games like World of Warcraft and Dayz,
my question is, can i overclock it some more, and whats the highest temperature i could probably take with my stock cooler?

More about : amd fx6100 safe temps

February 17, 2013 1:15:20 PM

RUN PRIME!! Don't take temps while running games. That's not accurate! My i7 while at @4.8GHz reaches only 45ºC while playing but 75ºC with Prime95!
Run Prime, if your temps stay under 85ºC you're fine (remember, during summer they will rise so add about 10ºC to stay safe).
What I would do is overclock it until I reach 79ºC with Prime then leave it to that, it will leave you some headroom if you do that :) 
February 17, 2013 4:12:35 PM

AirSKiller said:
RUN PRIME!! Don't take temps while running games. That's not accurate! My i7 while at @4.8GHz reaches only 45ºC while playing but 75ºC with Prime95!
Run Prime, if your temps stay under 85ºC you're fine (remember, during summer they will rise so add about 10ºC to stay safe).
What I would do is overclock it until I reach 79ºC with Prime then leave it to that, it will leave you some headroom if you do that :) 

prime 95, dont think i've ever used it but ill give it a go, how long should i leave it running for?
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 4:48:54 PM

There is no reason to run Prime ...

And you damn sure don't want to run a Piledriver CPU at 85C -- anything below 60C is fine.

February 17, 2013 4:53:34 PM

i've ran prime95 for around 30 mins and my current temps are

CPU = 59degrees
Motherboard = 69Degrees
GPU = 29 degrees
Harddrive = 25 degrees

but without running prime and just running games my CPU is around 35-45 and my motherboard around 50 and gpu 35-40.
can i maybe overclock it to 3.8 or 3.9?
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 5:03:07 PM

As long as your **CPU** temps in typical use (such as your gaming) are below 60C ...

Yes

February 17, 2013 5:07:43 PM

Wisecracker said:
As long as your **CPU** temps in typical use (such as your gaming) are below 60C ...

Yes

im guessing i could easily get 3.9 or 4 then in that case (im hoping) but what happens if it runs over 60C ? will my cpu fail and just break over a short period of time, if so would this take any other componments with it ? or would i just have to replace the cpu.
Thanks
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 5:12:43 PM

Tekyteky said:
im guessing i could easily get 3.9 or 4 then in that case (im hoping) but what happens if it runs over 60C ? will my cpu fail and just break over a short period of time, if so would this take any other componments with it ? or would i just have to replace the cpu.
Thanks

The CPU will throttle itself to a lower speed to cool down -- it won't blow-up :D 

Are you at stock at the moment ?

February 17, 2013 5:15:47 PM

Wisecracker said:
The CPU will throttle itself to a lower speed to cool down -- it won't blow-up :D 

Are you at stock at the moment ?

nah atm im at 3.7, have been for the past 2 days and i've been fine, in a few weeks im looking to get a liquid cooler so i can push 4.5 or something around that, but at the moment im on a stock cooler aswell so im going to try 3.9 right now and check the temps when im idle and while ingame
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 5:20:55 PM

Tekyteky said:
nah atm im at 3.7, have been for the past 2 days and i've been fine, in a few weeks im looking to get a liquid cooler so i can push 4.5 or something around that, but at the moment im on a stock cooler aswell so im going to try 3.9 right now and check the temps when im idle and while ingame

That's great!

Did you disable Turbo ??

February 17, 2013 5:26:09 PM

Wisecracker said:
That's great!

Did you disable Turbo ??

no, havent really looked into that but i'm playing Dayz as we speak on 4.1ghz and the improvment in fps is simply amazing and im still below 60C but only by 1-3C so i think im going to leave it at that, im happy i could get to 4.1 on a stock cooler.

and by the way what is Turbo may i ask, never looked into to it as i said :p 
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 5:36:21 PM

You've got a great chip !!

Your base clock is 3300 MHz (or, 16.5 x 200MHz x 6 cores /// across all in multi-threaded apps)
Turbo1 frequency . . . . 3600 MHz (more than 3 cores /// 18 x 200MHz - other cores down-clocked)
Turbo2 frequency . . . . 3900 MHz (3 cores or less /// 19.5 x 200MHz - other cores down-clocked)

If you have not disabled Turbo, and simply raised the stock multiplier from 16.5 to 20.5, Turbo1 becomes 22 x 200MHz and Turbo2 becomes 23.5 x 200MHz !!!

:bounce: 

(don't touch anything :lol:  ) What's your motherboard ? It is possible that the higher Turbos are being 'down-clocked' in some fashion. Bumping up against 60C should not be a worry, and will only get better with your new cooling!

February 17, 2013 5:41:55 PM

Wisecracker said:
You've got a great chip !!

Your base clock is 3300 MHz (or, 16.5 x 200MHz x 6 cores /// across all in multi-threaded apps)
Turbo1 frequency . . . . 3600 MHz (more than 3 cores /// 18 x 200MHz - other cores down-clocked)
Turbo2 frequency . . . . 3900 MHz (3 cores or less /// 19.5 x 200MHz - other cores down-clocked)

If you have not disabled Turbo, and simply raised the stock multiplier from 16.5 to 20.5, Turbo1 becomes 22 x 200MHz and Turbo2 becomes 23.5 x 200MHz !!!

:bounce: 

(don't touch anything :lol:  ) What's your motherboard ? It is possible that the higher Turbos are being 'down-clocked' in some fashion. Bumping up against 60C should not be a worry, and will only get better with your new cooling!

my motherboard is a ASUS M5A78L-M, im quite happy now because i've being wondering why Dayz has being lagging when i just bought a 7870 and someone mentioned my cpu was bottlenecking it or something and that i should overclock it, so far its worked and my temps are below 60C :D 

do you think my systems stable? i've heard people say when you overclock you should always run prime95 for a good few hours, but if i did now im sure i'd get temps of around 80C
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 5:52:18 PM

Prime is a torture test to check for stability.

While it's always a good idea to check overall stability, beyond your typical usage your system will never actually run at that level, right?

Put your system through it's normal paces. If you are not crashing out don't sweat it until you get your new cooling.

There are other tests available to you. OCCT or the stability test in AMD OverDrive, among others, will work just dandy.

February 17, 2013 6:06:47 PM

Wisecracker said:
Prime is a torture test to check for stability.

While it's always a good idea to check overall stability, beyond your typical usage your system will never actually run at that level, right?

Put your system through it's normal paces. If you are not crashing out don't sweat it until you get your new cooling.

There are other tests available to you. OCCT or the stability test in AMD OverDrive, among others, will work just dandy.

well i leave my computer on around 15-18 hours a day probably even 21-22 hours so will me overclocking it effect it, when i sleep i normally leave a movie playing on it, and when im awake its either idle or im playing wow or dayz
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 6:24:46 PM

If your rig is idled (or sleeping), playing a movie .. no worries.

Sometimes a rig will blue-screen coming out of sleep if it is *unstable* in some fashion. This can be the result of a failing OC, but not in all cases.

The 95w FX6xxx-series are known high-clockers. It would not be uncommon for you to run 4.5-4.6GHz on good air (or water) without Turbo.

There are a multitude of other tweaks available to you. For recommendations you may ask a Mod to move this thread to the AMD Over-Clockers, or simply start a new thread.

February 17, 2013 6:36:52 PM

Wisecracker said:
If your rig is idled (or sleeping), playing a movie .. no worries.

Sometimes a rig will blue-screen coming out of sleep if it is *unstable* in some fashion. This can be the result of a failing OC, but not in all cases.

The 95w FX6xxx-series are known high-clockers. It would not be uncommon for you to run 4.5-4.6GHz on good air (or water) without Turbo.

There are a multitude of other tweaks available to you. For recommendations you may ask a Mod to move this thread to the AMD Over-Clockers, or simply start a new thread.

would you kindly mined telling me some of those tweaks please ? im not sure how to find the mods etc and btw when i mean idle i mean im just leaving it there doing nothing, it doesnt hibernate or anything, i turned that off
February 17, 2013 6:48:01 PM

Wisecracker said:
There is no reason to run Prime ...

And you damn sure don't want to run a Piledriver CPU at 85C -- anything below 60C is fine.

I was saying Prime temps... I wouldn't run a chip at 85ºC while gaming! Probably not even 60ºC...
February 17, 2013 6:52:25 PM

Tekyteky said:
would you kindly mined telling me some of those tweaks please ? im not sure how to find the mods etc and btw when i mean idle i mean im just leaving it there doing nothing, it doesnt hibernate or anything, i turned that off

Play with the base clock, FX chips go well with it, normally you don't even have to rise voltage to do it and you ca get some extra 100MHz or so. Like Wisecracker said, you could get 4.5GHz or even 4.6GHz with some base clock twecking on good chips quite easly :D 
February 17, 2013 7:08:17 PM

AirSKiller said:
Play with the base clock, FX chips go well with it, normally you don't even have to rise voltage to do it and you ca get some extra 100MHz or so. Like Wisecracker said, you could get 4.5GHz or even 4.6GHz with some base clock twecking on good chips quite easly :D 

im quite new to things like that so im going to defiently read up on it and try to squeeze as much performance as i can out of my cpu :) 
February 17, 2013 7:18:46 PM

just wondering btw but could i overclock my graphics card in AMD Overdrive, would it be worth it ?
February 17, 2013 7:35:13 PM

Tekyteky said:
just wondering btw but could i overclock my graphics card in AMD Overdrive, would it be worth it ?

You can and it will be worth it! But I would use MSI afterburner... It's super super easy (easier than overclock your CPU)
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 8:17:49 PM

Tekyteky said:

First thing is to review and take notes on the BIOS from your motherboard manual -- concentrate on the *AI Tweaker* Menu. Understanding the terminology used, and how it applies, is the most important step for others helping you.

Most importantly, you should learn how to re-set your CMOS (this re-sets your BIOS to default). You should also jot down your boot sequence and HDD set-up for when you have to re-set your CMOS.

I suspect you are running with volt settings on *Auto* That's all well and good, but further tweaking will require that you take manual control.

It's not actually that difficult, and your experience will come with trial and error. That's just the way it is. All chips are a little different, and you simply want to find the best combination of clock speed and voltages for your chip.

I don't have an FX6xxx, nor do I have any experience with your motherboard. That's why I suggested either moving the thread, or starting a new one in the AMD Over-Clocking area. Those Gurus have much more specific experience than me.

But with the steps you have taken so far, you rig should be quite snappy, and is not holding back your HD7870.

Don't believe everything folks tell yah on the internets :lol: 

February 18, 2013 2:27:04 PM

AirSKiller said:
You can and it will be worth it! But I would use MSI afterburner... It's super super easy (easier than overclock your CPU)

In MSI Afterburner i maxed out all the clocks, from Core clock (from 1000 to 1400) and Memory Clock (from 1200 to 1450) and i also upped fan speed to 70% to get it cooler while gaming, but whenever i try to play a game with these clocks i get a blue screen, i havent touched the power or voltage settings so im thinking i have to up the power abit so it handles the max core mhz speeds i want?

im not sure if someone could run me through it i'd be really grateful :) 
btw it doesnt let me change anything to the Core voltage, only power,memory,fan and core clocK.
another thing is, msi afterburner doesnt show my exact gpu model etc, it just says 7800 series, is that ok?
February 18, 2013 2:45:24 PM

Tekyteky said:
In MSI Afterburner i maxed out all the clocks, from Core clock (from 1000 to 1400) and Memory Clock (from 1200 to 1450) and i also upped fan speed to 70% to get it cooler while gaming, but whenever i try to play a game with these clocks i get a blue screen, i havent touched the power or voltage settings so im thinking i have to up the power abit so it handles the max core mhz speeds i want?

im not sure if someone could run me through it i'd be really grateful :) 
btw it doesnt let me change anything to the Core voltage, only power,memory,fan and core clocK.
another thing is, msi afterburner doesnt show my exact gpu model etc, it just says 7800 series, is that ok?

Yes, it only shows 7800 series, it's normal...
You can't run 1400 MHz!! WOOW xD Go for 1050 MHz to start with and then climb 10 MHz at a time or something... Don't go all out... If you get 1200MHz it's crazy! (Same for the VRAM).
Put power to 100% when you overclock btw

Some 7850 don't let you change voltages for you to change them you have to go to settings first and unlock voltage control... Take it easy! Graphics card don't go to well with voltage changes...
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 2:53:18 PM

Just a wild guess on my part, but I suspect your core clock is more suitable in the 1100MHz range and your VRAM is clocked a bit too high -- try 1350 to 14ooMHz.

February 18, 2013 3:31:38 PM

Ok my powerlimits on 20 which is maxed, i put my core clock on 1200mhz and my memory clock on 1400, my fan speed is at 50% i dont see alot of improvement in Dayz tbh besides from when i overclocked my cpu to 4.1 but my gpu overclock only adds on around 1-2 more frames, is there anything else i can do now to get more fps out of Dayz ? and is my system stable now, when playing i was gettin cpu temps of 65C but no higher, is that ok?
February 18, 2013 3:42:07 PM

Tekyteky said:
Ok my powerlimits on 20 which is maxed, i put my core clock on 1200mhz and my memory clock on 1400, my fan speed is at 50% i dont see alot of improvement in Dayz tbh besides from when i overclocked my cpu to 4.1 but my gpu overclock only adds on around 1-2 more frames, is there anything else i can do now to get more fps out of Dayz ? and is my system stable now, when playing i was gettin cpu temps of 65C but no higher, is that ok?

DayZ is very badly coded... Forget it, you can't do anything with that game xD

65ºC is kinda high... What is your Prime temp? Test your GPU with Furmark (or Kombuster)
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 3:46:57 PM

I think 65C is okay, but AMD has yet to post actual max temps for the FX6300. The FX6100 Bulldozer specs max at 70C. With your new cooling things should get much better so this becomes less of an issue.

Here are the temp/volt specs from AMD

Edit: I would also suggest not torturing your Radeon with Fur Mark!

(sorry, Art!)

February 18, 2013 3:49:42 PM

Wisecracker said:
I think 65C is okay, but AMD has yet to post actual max temps for the FX6300. The FX6100 Bulldozer specs max at 70C. With your new cooling things should get much better so this becomes less of an issue.

Here are the temp/volt specs from AMD

Edit: I would also suggest not torturing your Radeon with Fur Mark!

(sorry, Art!)

Furmark was just for a couple of minutes to see if the OC is stable...
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 3:54:04 PM

Gotcha.

It really hangs a beatdown on Radeons and poorly represents actual use, volts, temps, etc., on the card

February 18, 2013 4:01:51 PM

Yeah i just read that Dayz (arma2) is a very poor optimized game so i guess im fine with it, it's just annoying when you're in a major down and fps drops from 50-60 to 20 :(  but yes when i get a new cooler the temps should go down alot from my current 60-65 when playing games, but can i ask if its really worth getting a liquid cooler ? and im also going to save up some more money to get a new case because everything in mine is abit crammed at the moment, so how would this be

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/Midi+T...

would that give efficient air flow through the case ? and btw the liquid cooler i was looking at is here

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Coo...
February 18, 2013 4:08:31 PM

Tekyteky said:
Yeah i just read that Dayz (arma2) is a very poor optimized game so i guess im fine with it, it's just annoying when you're in a major down and fps drops from 50-60 to 20 :(  but yes when i get a new cooler the temps should go down alot from my current 60-65 when playing games, but can i ask if its really worth getting a liquid cooler ? and im also going to save up some more money to get a new case because everything in mine is abit crammed at the moment, so how would this be

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/Midi+T...

would that give efficient air flow through the case ? and btw the liquid cooler i was looking at is here

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Coo...

Same case as mine :D  I live it, not a lot of space for cable management though... The H60 is good... But it is kinda expensive...
February 18, 2013 4:11:13 PM

AirSKiller said:
Same case as mine :D  I live it, not a lot of space for cable management though... The H60 is good... But it is kinda expensive...

hows this then for cable managment ?

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Cor...

seems better because you can store the cables in the pack and just push them through the holes.
February 18, 2013 4:14:15 PM

Tekyteky said:
hows this then for cable managment ?

seems better because you can store the cables in the pack and just push them through the holes.

It's better. But don't get me wrong! The C70 is an awesome case, it has just a less space behind the motherboard tray for cables...
February 18, 2013 4:22:33 PM

AirSKiller said:
It's better. But don't get me wrong! The C70 is an awesome case, it has just a less space behind the motherboard tray for cables...

what about https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Coo... surely i could overclock my cpu to 4.7-8 if i had that?
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 5:26:54 PM

4.7GHz would not be unheard of (and is not terribly uncommon) BUT ...

You would likely need a better motherboard, good cooling, and a greater understanding of the options available to you in the BIOS. The 95w FX6300s are well-known over-clockers -- some reaching beyond 5GHz on good water.

Your utility bill would take quite a hit, too :lol: 

February 18, 2013 5:35:55 PM

so how about 4.5ghz with that cooler, would that be pushing it?
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 5:39:18 PM

Tekyteky said:
so how about 4.5ghz with that cooler, would that be pushing it?

I wouldn't think so ... but your motherboard really is the wild-card. Asus makes great boards, but you certainly went a bit low-budget with the model you selected.

February 18, 2013 7:02:07 PM

ah i see, i guess ill get it anyway to keep my temps down as they're almost hitting 70C, im suprised i could get it to 4.1 on the stock without it hitting 80 !
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 7:57:15 PM

Tekyteky said:
Thanks

i was too bored to read all of this... sorry :D 

when my fx-6100 hits 60 C ( not cores, socket) my pc shuts down
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 8:32:14 PM

chromic said:
i was too bored to read all of this... sorry :D 

when my fx-6100 hits 60 C ( not cores, socket) my pc shuts down

This is likely the result of a BIOS setting.

Best answer I can find in the AMD specs is 70C --- Lookee Here

February 18, 2013 9:18:24 PM

i think im going to leave liquid cooling and getting a case as i've only got 25pounds left :o  so i think i'm gonna get a cpu cooler, anyone got any idea of which ones are good and efficient?
February 19, 2013 3:23:43 PM

Tekyteky said:
i think im going to leave liquid cooling and getting a case as i've only got 25pounds left :o  so i think i'm gonna get a cpu cooler, anyone got any idea of which ones are good and efficient?

Well... I think the Hyper 212+ never lets anyone down :)  And it is also cheap
February 19, 2013 5:40:55 PM

AirSKiller said:
Well... I think the Hyper 212+ never lets anyone down :)  And it is also cheap

well i managed to get some more money but do you think i should get a new case first (my wires are really messy in mine) or a the H55 corsair liquid cooler, then save up some more to get the case later on, and while im typing i want to ask which case is better,

or

and would my current case https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/Midi+T... motherboard (M5A8L-M/USB3.0) and CPU (FX6100) be compatible with https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Coo...

Thanks
February 19, 2013 7:22:56 PM

Tekyteky said:
well i managed to get some more money but do you think i should get a new case first (my wires are really messy in mine) or a the H55 corsair liquid cooler, then save up some more to get the case later on, and while im typing i want to ask which case is better,

or

and would my current case https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/Midi+T... motherboard (M5A8L-M/USB3.0) and CPU (FX6100) be compatible with https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Coo...

Thanks

Both cases are good, choose the one you like the most :) 

Yes it will be compatible but from what I have seen the hyper 212+ performs better than the H55 and is cheaper too
March 1, 2013 10:56:10 PM

I dont get how ya'll are hitting such high temps,,, I just built a system 2 days ago... on the stock cooler it idles under 15C and on a full load using IntelBurnTest (which does work with AMD cpus), i gpt a MAX of 45 after running for almost an hour... some people here are having some airflow issues pr using bad thermal paste or something...
March 5, 2013 4:17:00 PM

mpooyan83 said:
I dont get how ya'll are hitting such high temps,,, I just built a system 2 days ago... on the stock cooler it idles under 15C and on a full load using IntelBurnTest (which does work with AMD cpus), i gpt a MAX of 45 after running for almost an hour... some people here are having some airflow issues pr using bad thermal paste or something...

That's just impossible unless your room temp is like 0ºC or something...
March 24, 2014 10:18:06 PM

that chip has a max operating temp of 70 degrees. meaning that you don't want to run it at that temp or close for long periods. But i would suggest you check your thermal past. I have the same CPU and it rarely gets above 32 degrees even with games and 10 windows open.
!