AMD doing anything to counter Fermi?

cyproz

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I was wondering if there is any news of AMD doing anything to counter fermi. I have always liked AMD processor and GFX cards better. So is there any news or leaks or something?

Well, depends on what you mean by counter. There is the factory OC'ed 5970 by some partners, they're pushing/supporting some 3-D stuff, working on drivers, etc. Now, if you mean do they have something akin to a 5890, I have not heard of one, but it has been a while so if one had been in development, it could come out *soon*.

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
the 5870 is faster than the gtx 470, and the gtx 480 is less than ten thousand cards made so there isnt much needing to be countered.

a 2gb 5870 could be enough to beat even the gtx 480 and that is coming soon.

notty22

Distinguished
Nope , they are doomed.
,0-K-241076-3.jpg

evga-gtx-480-470-box,0-7-241063-13.jpg

WoW, thats a lot of memory !

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
some fermi benchmarks show the 470 and 480 being faster at maximum resolution and 8x antialias but its because the 5870 1 gb is running out of memory.

a 2gb single card is coming before fermi, http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/25798/ and obviously that will have enough memory.

cyproz

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

is there any realitv release date for that card?
What do you think the price of it will be, around 500-600?

Of course not, AMD/ATI is hiding in a corner because Fermi is going to trash the floor with the 5xxx line!

Not.

Of course they have a roadmap to follow with or without Fermi. The question is: Are the prices gonna drop a lot or stay the same? The re-badging/re-launching of another 5xxx is of no interest (for me at least).

Cheers!

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Well, most ATI manufacturers are going to drop the reference cards and switch to highly overclocked cards from the factory with custom cooling and higher quality components. New MSI cards and Sapphire Toxic revisions of the 5870 and 5970 should keep Nvidia at bay.

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
The fact of the matter is that, NO ONE (except fanboys or rich high-tech enthusiasts) are going to blow 150 to 200+ dollars for a gain of no more than 10 to 15% compared to the current ATI offerings. That's just stupid price policies for not so stellar products.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Those boxes are empty, the partners have yet to get any cards. Though that in and of itself is not shocking or unexpected. Plenty of time for them to slap on the stickers and ship them out.

As for the "lots of memory," we have been well aware of the specs in that aspect for a long time haven't we? Which is kind of the point of others attesting that the 2gb 5870 will be better suited against them since the first release fermi will not run into memory issues while the 5870 seems to at extreme resolution currently.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

The fact is that many will pay that premium for the highest end. Nvidia knows this just as well as they know the high end is pointless for their bottom line in the first place outside of the hype and advertising it brings. If they can get even one 480 into each major store only once a month at any arbitrary price they will likely hold onto their mind share with the 'Ferrari' effect. This of course if it is fast enough to unquestionably beat a 5870.

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Many will pay a premium (at least during the initial hype), but MOST will definitely not. That's the point here. The high-end isn't pointless, especially in the gaming industry, because newer games demand more powerful hardware on a daily basis. So if you have a cheaper high-end product (the 5970, for example) then you are king of the market. Besides that, ATI has all niches covered with the 57xx series and now with the 5830.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

The high end is certainly pointless, the vast majority of gamers will use cards in the 200 price bracket at the most. Those in the market for a 400+ card will certainly have no problem paying a touch more if it gives them the best.

You don't seem to understand just how small the pc gaming card market is in general, let alone the highest end of it. The sales at the high end make them almost no profit, they function as a goal to build for that increases IP, increases mind share, and generally boosts the sales of the brand in general.

They make the card that is the best they can make, and sell it at a point that makes them the most money. If that point is $50, or $200 makes little difference as the sales figures of the high end are in effect not even noticed by nvidia, ATI, intel, etc.

Nvidia knows that fermi will not make them money. It comes down to how much they want to lose, likely they can make more profit (at least closer to breaking even) with a higher markup assuming they intend to sell every card they produce (They likely will, as the supply will be limited for a while). However, the company likely also expects Fermi to make loads of money in HPC, as a product and as IP used in future products.

The gtx480 may very well fail compared to the 5800 series (in terms of money made, units sold, etc.) but this market is insignificant to the success of a company. After all, many will buy a gt240 over a 5670 on the basis that the 480 is a touch faster than a 5870. Unfortunately the informed shoppers like us are not the norm, and our hobby of gaming and building high end computers is a very small niche in the products ATI/Nvidia/Intel makes. Just ask the GPU market share king, Intel, how important they feel the gtx480 level performers are.

Many more people than you or I would like to think will buy the 480 over a cheaper alternative. Sadly even if everyone in the high end were smart shoppers the rest are not, and for them if the 480 that no one has bought off the shelf in a month is faster than the best ATI can put out (I have no doubt that nvidia will release a 495 type card as well, just that I feel it will be a useless product) that is enough to choose an Nvidia laptop.

Mind I won't recommend any of us buy a 480 if its price is way out of whack (I doubt it will be crazy though, as that would give it a bad image), just that we have to understand that what we do and want is becoming very meaningless in the industry. Many of us gamed when computers very much were a niche market entirely... that won't ever be the case again.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

All of the rumours out there are in the same ball park. I think we can safely say that the 470 will on the whole be less than a 5870, the 480 on the whole more than a 5870.

We don't know how close they will fall in the end, how special features like tessellation will come into play during games, or the final price but there is plenty to make comments on.

They will certainly change, perhaps the 470 will be farther behind the 5870 than I expect, or the 480 farther ahead. However, there will be no low end parts for some time.. the whole thing will be an exercise in marketing for any but the highest end enthusiasts.

Yep, I have no arguement with what you're saying, I was more speaking to those arguing specifics. All we can really guess at this point is that NVidia doesn't have another 8800GTX yet, as we'd be seeing a lot more than we have if they had.

There was talk of a 5890, but now I don't think AMD is pressured to release it just yet. Why do I think that? Because some board partners were showing off 5870s with a 950MHz core **** on custom PCBs and coolers. I don't think they would have put in that effort if they knew that AMD was putting out a 5890 to counter Fermi. Could be wrong of course ^_^

Anyway, AMD has been working on a 5890 type refresh for the 5800 cards while the successor "Northern Isles" chips are expected in Q4 or this year.

G

Unfortunately, more than likely ATI will have to file for bankruptcy, since the FERMI was created from the ground up to be the most innovative and influential card in the history of gaming... This coming from a dedicated ATI user.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

From what I can see nfail has given a good response to the original posters question? The Eyefinity six 2 gigabyte edition is scheduled for release around the same time as Fermi is.