Sign in with
Your question

650-750 € gaming PC, looking for suggestions

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2010 1:37:13 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month

BUDGET RANGE: 650-750

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'm buying the parts from a finnish website called http://www.jimmspc-store.fi/

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Finland

PARTS PREFERENCES: -

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Ok, so, this is my first build, I'm trying to build a gaming pc with kind of a small budget and I'm looking for advice on the parts and also if there are better options to take for about the same price or lower. There might already be some parts in which I tried to save some money. Also there might be some errors since I'm just a starter in computer building in general.

Here are the parts with the prices of the website I'm bying them from.

Here is the list of the same parts from newegg:

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Black Edition Desktop Processor - C3 Revision - Retail

Motherboard:
Open Box: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Power supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Hard drive:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory:
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBECO - Retail

Video card:
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

Heat sink:
ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

Case: Could not find it from newegg, but here is another link.
Nexus Clodius

Thanks in advance.
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2010 1:47:12 PM

CPU: Don't get the X2 555. If you read the monthly "Best CPU for the Money" article, you'd see that the X2 55x aren't recommended. The X3 440 is cheaper and performs better.

Mobo: Use what you saved on the CPU to get the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4. It's a more future proof board.

HSF: I'm not sure if it's available over there, but look into the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus.

PSU: Make sure to check out Antec Earthwatts, Silverstone, and SeaSonic units in the same size. All of these are high quality, so buy whichever you can get for the least.

Case: Other ones to look at would be the Antec 300, Antec 300 Illusion, Coolermaster Elite, and Coolermaster 690.
April 2, 2010 1:49:24 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll see what I can do with your suggestions.

Edit: So I replaced the CPU, Mobo and HSF and the price stayed almost exactly the same, so thank you for the suggestions.

Then I looked at the PSU's but couldn't find anything better performance- or pricewise so I stayed with the PSU I had in my list.
Last but not least I looked at the cases and found the Three Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case, it's a great case from what I read from the reviews, and it's a bit cheaper aswell! So I took it. Coolermaster 690 would have been great, but it was really expensive (80 €) so I had to line it out.
!