mr_plastic

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Ok so lately my pc has been running slower and slower, so i was thinking either to upgrade its parts to a decent gaming computer or to just buy a new computer.
The cpu im using is an AMD athlon 64 Processor 3700+ and the motherboard is a A8N-LA with integrated GeForce 6150. It lags like crazy when I'm just playing online mmos (if your wondering its wonderking) and steaming videos.

There are problems with both options:
1. I have no experience dealing with building computers. Also here in Canada parts for building a computer are very scarce.

2. If i buy a new computer the problem is: What do I do with the old one? and also what desktop computer would you guys (the community) suggest? Remember that I live in Canada and so many models are restricted/not available up here.. Also if you wouldn't mind could you guys post a link...if available.

My ideal computer would be able to run Starcraft 2 well (that is not max settings, medium setting would suffice) and be able to carry out the school work portion i.e. microsoft word etc. Since I'm in university my budget must be $1000 max or else I won't be able to afford textbooks!

For those that reply I would like to say thank-you.

I suggest you first use the windows "disk clean" file or "ie privacy keeper" a free download to clean up your hardrive. Then I suggest you try a mid range video card, such as a brand with the 4670 chipset, if your board has a pci-e slot. Your files will run much faster with any video card. Onboard video may run at 5-10 frams a second, versus 300 or more for a separate video card. If your power supply doesn't have a pci-e 6 pin connector, be sure to select a low or mid range card that doesn't need it. I use a fanless xt2400 low end card, and it's plenty fast for my limited gaming. This option is much cheaper than buying a new system, and you can transfer the card to your next system.

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
If you are going To buy a new computer and want it prebuilt for you, cheaply, I would recommend emachine. Check their website.. Last year I purchased their cheapest model for 350 at walmart and added a 100 dollar graphics card and it played my mmo games flawlessly. I used it to run a second character as I liked to do extra stuff on the mmo. It ended up being my main pc over the original computer. I ended up selling it to someone though when I got my current i7.

Otherwise you could upgrade the one you have except it's not going to keep you up to date as everything else advances.

Ccleaner is excellent for cleaning out junk you never see. Mydefrag will organize your harddrive directory to perform better

you can google these programs and easily find the download links as I am on my phone so it's not so easy.

If you decide on buying a new prebuilt machine then research what is available to you through shops and Internet mailing and reply here what you find with model numbers and we can help you choose alot better if you wish

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

No, your computer hardware doesn't just slow down overtime. Your Operating System is what you should be looking at. First try getting some kind of disk DE-fragmentation software and try it, if it doesn't work than that's because your file system is to damaged to be repaired. In that case reinstall your OS and it should run as fast as the day you bought it.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
WWW.AUSLOGIC.COM Fastest defrager in the west AND it's free,the AMD 3700+ was a good cpu and fast,you just need to clean up your system,,,, go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/ lots of good stuff and a lot of it is free....:)
BTW ,,,I live in Canada and I have no trouble finding/getting any computer gear that I want and can afford AND if you still need advice help,,well, we will all be right here...:)

mr_plastic

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Here's the spec's to my mobo ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00647121&dlc=en#N846 ). I was wondering if i get a graphics card like a GeForce 9400 GT 1GB DDR2 PCI-E Video Card, would it be compatible?