Want to run sc2 on highest settings but need to up graphics card

mustafaishere

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
the tech dude told me maximum 300w pci so what does that mean? can i go further then 300 and what/where can i buy the equipment to upgrade the pc.

my pc runs at 2.93 GHZ 3.11 GB RAM and its a pavilion a1310y. if any1 can help it would be appreciated.

It's not worth it. You'll probably have to buy a power supply that conforms to a non-standardized or non-ATX size specifications. PCI graphics cards are all overpriced, and the best PCI card is extremely weak. See if you can sell your computer for a hundred bucks or so. You can build yourself a cheap budget-gaming computer for about $400 or so.

You will not be able to play Starcraft 2 at good settings when you have an old Pentium 4 single core computer, with an outdated PCI card slot. No PCI video card on the market today will be able to play SC2 at good settings. Even the ones that can play it on low will cost over $100 since they've become rare.

And the 4GB you've just put in...they're DDR1 right? DDR1 RAM is very slow as well.

I know you just added new RAM, but if you want to play SC2, your best option is to sell your computer and buy parts to build a new computer from scratch.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.352623
CPU + mobo = $123

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031
PSU = $40, $30 after MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=7&N=2010090007
Any of these mid-tower cases = $20-$30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145098&cm_re=ddr2_2gb-_-20-145-098-_-Product
2GB DDR2 RAM = $40, although I highly suggest you buy used (ie. from someone on these forums), used DDR2 RAM is much cheaper, and for $40 you can get 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-871-_-Product
ATI 5670 = $90

Total cost is ~$313, and add about $30 or so for shipping.

The parts I picked out will enable you to build a pretty good gaming computer...the dual core is fast and the graphics card performs equal to a 4830 or 9800GT...making it a good entry level gaming card.

mustafaishere

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
no the ram is ddr2 and right now i can play sc2 but its graphics are really low and its kinda spiky during the game. i mean if i can get it to run at medium or high ill be happy man lol

Nope, those are the complete parts to build yourself an entirely new computer. A new computer for under $350.

It will be fairly up-to-date and will last you a while...as well as allowing you to play Starcraft 2 with good settings when it comes out.

If you can spend up to $350, then you can keep your old system. If you're just short, then I suggest you sell your old system.

lol. Well, if it's DDR2 and if it's PC2-4200 (533MHz), then you can reuse it in the system I suggested. You can buy all the parts except the RAM, and use the DDR2 RAM from your current system.

mustafaishere

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
so i cant use any other power supply or graphics card or even new motherboard?
I mean lets say i do start from "scratch" like i kinda am now looking for a good graphics card a new power supply. why cant it work that way?

^ Oh, and for the harddrive and CD/DVD drive, that's about $50-$60 total, but again, you can reuse the hard drive and CD/DVD drive from your old computer.

Again, if you want to play medium on your current outdated computer, you'll need to buy a PCI card...which are all weak and overpriced. You'll have to spend $100 or so, and still get an inferior product that was obsolete years ago. I really don't suggest you spend any money on your current computer.

But if you really don't want to buy a new computer and just want to upgrade your old computer, then I suggest getting the 9500GT for your PCI slot. It can probably play SC2 on medium.

mustafaishere

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
NEW NVIDIA 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 PCI-E 2 HDCP VCG951024GXEB
would somthing like this work out?
Thing is i checked the W would i have to find a new power supply for this????
A minimum 350W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 18A)

HP/Dell/other OEM manufacturers use specific custom parts that are not interchangeable. (such as BTX computer cases and BTX PSUs, when the standard design is ATX)

The parts that you can reuse from your old computer are your: RAM, hard drive, and DVD drive. If your PSU is an ATX power supply, you can reuse that as well...but I suggest getting a new PSU anyways since your current PSU probably doesn't have a PCIe connector.

What is your current power supply's specifications?

Yeh...so you have two choices before you.

1) Stick to your old system and buy a 9500GT, which might work and will probably play SC2 on medium...but you'll need to find out more info on your power supply, which might not have the right connectors.

2)
A. Keep your current system, and spend $350 on a new system that will let your play SC2 on high. You'll have to reuse your RAM, hard drive, and DVD drive.

B. Spend $350 on a new system that will let your play SC2 on high, and reuse some of the RAM. Keep the original amount of RAM in the old system and sell that system for about $100 or so. Then buy a new hard drive and DVD drive for about $50 or so.