Sign in with
Your question

Xbox 360 live wont connect to net work?

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
February 8, 2010 11:24:58 PM

Hey i am confused.I have my xbox hooked upstairs and have tried many times to connect to xbox live by directly hooking up a Ethernet cable from the jack in the back of my xbox 360 to the Ethernet jack on the wall.But every time i try it automatically does not connect.(something about not connecting to net work)The only way to get on live is to run a 50 foot ether net cable from my xbox downstairs to my router in my master bedroom closet.I can live with it but my mom gets mad because it is ran through out my house.How should i deal with this problem (fix it).Should i buy a certian cable or enter IP adress into xbox?......Please leave hints or guides. :o 
February 9, 2010 12:19:34 AM

Right off the bat, wtf is this hole in the wall connected to?
m
l
Anonymous
February 10, 2010 1:06:12 AM

It seems that my ether net jacks in my wall go directly to my router down stairs.Not sure though.According to my friend my net work should run through my house and can be used from any ether net jack.Of course when i plug my cable from my xbox to the jack it doesn't connect to the net work?
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2010 12:08:02 AM

You need to figure out exactly where it goes. I've got a jack like this is my own room, but it was installed on purpose. It runs down to a similar plug in the computer room, and if you plugged anything into either one, it would just run into an empty plug in a wall that nothing is connected to. We've got one ethernet cable that runs from my computer to the plug in the wall and then in the computer room there's another ethernet cable that runs to the router.

It seems unlikely that everyroom would have a jack and still all be connected to a router. Most routers only have like 4 plugs. You'd need a central switch of some kind.
m
l
Anonymous
February 11, 2010 1:46:15 AM

False_Dmitry_II said:
You need to figure out exactly where it goes. I've got a jack like this is my own room, but it was installed on purpose. It runs down to a similar plug in the computer room, and if you plugged anything into either one, it would just run into an empty plug in a wall that nothing is connected to. We've got one ethernet cable that runs from my computer to the plug in the wall and then in the computer room there's another ethernet cable that runs to the router.

It seems unlikely that everyroom would have a jack and still all be connected to a router. Most routers only have like 4 plugs. You'd need a central switch of some kind.

Again i would like to say thanks.Well i see where you are coming from.My router is in a closet down stairs.From my router there is a jack about a foot away from it.There is a cable (short) going from the router to this jack.My idea is that this jack links up to all the other jacks through out the house (5 in all).I just want to know if it is a problem with my router or a problem with the wiring in the house.Hopefully its the router because it is an easy fix then.
m
l
February 12, 2010 1:03:56 AM

That... sounds odd to me. The only way it would be functioning is if all of those were connected to a switch hidden in a wall or something. (and maybe it died?) I don't know of a way to tell how that stuff is wired since you didn't do it yourself. I've only messed with stuff done by myself.

I've also never run into any pre-wired houses before either. I guess try to find out as much about the wiring as you can.
m
l
!