Can't access XP SP1 Firewall with AOL dial-up connection

Found no Microsoft KB article directly addressing this, but
KB article #870890 (pertaining to Service Pack 2)states my problem, that an
AOL Dial-up connection icon in Control Panel Network Connections does not
have a properties page, thus I cannot get access to the Firewall Connection
dialog box in the normal way. The workaround suggested is to run:
firewall.cpl ...but this file is not present in Service Pack 1. How do I
manually run the equivalent XP firewall program in Service Pack 1?

All connections even before SP1 have properties,simply L.click on the icon,
then go to file,then in drop down box select properties.

Woody04 wrote:
> Found no Microsoft KB article directly addressing this, but
> KB article #870890 (pertaining to Service Pack 2)states my problem, that an
> AOL Dial-up connection icon in Control Panel Network Connections does not
> have a properties page, thus I cannot get access to the Firewall Connection
> dialog box in the normal way. The workaround suggested is to run:
> firewall.cpl ...but this file is not present in Service Pack 1. How do I
> manually run the equivalent XP firewall program in Service Pack 1?

AOL is an on-line content provider that ignores international
Internetworking standards in favor of its own proprietary products, and
has deliberately made its connection software incompatible with both
WinXP's built-in firewall and WinXP's Internet Connection Sharing
feature. AOL's proprietary connection applet is deliberately designed
to preclude your setting/adjusting any of its properties, to include
enabling/disabling WinXP's ICF and ICS.

However, if you were to upgrade WinXP with Service Pack 2,
Microsoft has modified (and improved) WinXP's built-in firewall to the
extent that it will now work with AOL. (At least until AOL again
deliberately makes the next version of their software incompatible.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Thanks much for the info Bruce. The problem concerned my retired father's
new computer that I was upgrading for him at his house; whereas, I am
researching the problem here with my own computer.

I do plan to upgrade his computer to SP2, but for now, my concern was to be
able to verify that XP Service Pack 1's firewall was active while I went
online with his new computer (for tech support with a vendor on a different
issue) before I tried to load a 3rd party firewall onto his computer.

So from your post I guess I can assume that it indeed is not active, and

Woody04 wrote:
> Thanks much for the info Bruce. The problem concerned my retired father's
> new computer that I was upgrading for him at his house; whereas, I am
> researching the problem here with my own computer.
>
> I do plan to upgrade his computer to SP2, but for now, my concern was to be
> able to verify that XP Service Pack 1's firewall was active while I went
> online with his new computer (for tech support with a vendor on a different
> issue) before I tried to load a 3rd party firewall onto his computer.
>
> So from your post I guess I can assume that it indeed is not active, and

You're welcome.

And you "assume" correctly.

--

Bruce Chambers