Programs wont open from desktop icons

swand52

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
what can I do to fix my icons to open. for some reason evverything wants to open thru internet explorer, Where can I got in the system to corrwect this problem??/

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Huh... that's interesting.

Let's start with a little troubleshooting to get the obvious problems out of the way.
Open your start menu, and find "Command Prompt" under Accessories, or enter "cmd.exe" in the 'Run' box.
Wait for the black screen to pop up. Type in the following and hit enter:

assoc .lnk

Note that the above is a lower-case "L", not an "I".
It should return with this directly underneath:

.lnk=.lnkfile

If it came back with anything else, especially involving internet explorer, go ahead and enter the following:

assoc .lnk=lnkfile

It will return below ".lnk=lnkfile", confirming that link (shortcut) files are basically being directed to Windows' shortcut system instead of an individual program.
If that works, then congratulations. :) If not, then we've got more troubleshooting to do...

RoyLMcG

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

RoyLMcG

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

storageman

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I have the same problem. almost all of my icons ate a sheet with arrow and NONE open the .exe
I can click properties for the icon
Open file location
then double click on the exe (the icon does show in the explorer window) and the app executes.
In the start menu, receive the following:
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or, if one is installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel"
Bob@storageman.com