3TB hard drive, as primary and extra space as GPT

jjthexer

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Alright, I've searched all over the forums and Google and there are lots of variations of this type of config but nothing exactly like I have it, if there is something exactly like this and someone else knows about it please post the link below, thank you!

But we move on in case that is not an option.

So here's my setup. I have 1, 3TB internal drive that I want to use as my only harddrive. I want it to be my primary & use the extra 746Gb(rounded) leftover as just extra storage. (Obviously going to be a different partition but nevertheless that's what I want.)

So I've got some information I've found for myself, as far as windows being able to detect more than 2TB & use it, the rest of the space has to be formatted using GPT. I was planning on using EaseUS partition master to make this happen.

In disk management it looks like this: Disk 0 2Tb formatted as NTFS, the other 768Gb left is also on Disk 0 unallocated. When I right click I only have the option to select properties which doesn't allow me to do much.

So I want to use 2TB as my primary partition & use the 768Gb (formatted as GPT) as my 2nd partition of disk 0.

My question: How can I format 2Tb as my primary while also formatting the 768Gb unallocated space to GPT all as 1 Disk?

I haven't been able to try this yet, but I was thinking about this; I have a second harddrive that was my previous drive that has windows still loaded on it, should I connect both drives, wipe the 3Tb drive completely & then on the 300Gb hard drive in disk management partition the 3TB to allocate 2Tb as NTFS & then the remaining 768Gb as GPT. Then go back & installs windows on the 2Tb NTFS partition and then I'll have the 768Gb formatted as GPT remaining. Would that work?

I know it's a lot of information but this is why I haven't found anything exactly like this.

Thanks much!

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
OK, you seem to have a major misconception in your reasoning. You can only have one partition table per disk (not partition, disk). You either have GPT (with protective MBR) or standard MBR. You could reinitialize your disk with a GPT, but you'd need to use UEFI for Windows to boot from a GPT disk. With MBR, you have the 2TB limit that you're hitting. There are certain utilities that can work around this, but a regular GPT would be much more ideal.