Best sound card for movies

Charlezman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Yes I know, but I want a better sound coming out from my pc cause when I see a movie from my home dvd the sound is much better so I though that if I buy a sound card my pc sound will get better. At the moment I am connected trough coaxial cable from an on board card.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
No doubt the sound card will improve audio quality. People think there's very little difference & that sound card is just a waste of money (when onboard sound serves you rather well), but trust me, once you hear w/ a sound card attached, the expense seems totally worth it. Also the sound card frees up the CPU to dedicate itself to pure data processing rather than also have an additional audio overlay.
The Creative X-Fi titanium is a good one. You could also get the Fata1ty version if possible.

Your home theater speakers are:
(1) Attached to your digital receiver? (home audio speakers)
(2) Attached to your PC? (PC speakers)

Charlezman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I have 5 b&W speakers + yamaha sub woofer. Front main are big floor standing 200w the others center and surround are smaller hang on speakers 100w. The sub woofer is 100w everything is attached to my home receiver

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

dude if its dgital... there is no or absolutely tiny difference.... its passing the raw signal that was barely processed or not at all.... this guy is talking about passing to the receiver... if u have an amplifier at home, then im sure you'd understand that there is barely perceptible difference when passing digital signals, the only difference you would mostly be able to tell, would be the reasons of using bad wires.

we are not talking about analogue here.....

and yes i know theres a diff in audio cards (analogue > digital)....

and creative isnt as gd as ASUS or Auzentech or HT omega//, quality is better on these cards, oh and the price.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

if you want to have gd sound quality, use your SPDIF, or Co-ax, HDMI from your motherboard to your receiver, if you have one. And invest in a gd Monster digital cable.

Charlezman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Thanks dude, that's an interesting idea, I'll be catching 2 birds with 1 stone, better sound and a gc upgrade and as I am into a quite pc this card seams to have everything I need its passive so no noise, consumes few power so its good for my fanless psu and its not expensive. I will give it a serious thought

I have a pioneer receiver, nvidia 7300gt with dvi out asus mb and an infocus projector

Charlezman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
If I buy this card how am I going to connect the sound to my receiver? There is no coaxial or optical out in this card and my receiver doesn't have hdmi.

If you use a Digital output, there will be close to no difference in audio quality between an onboard chipset and soundcard, so if your mobo has a digital output port, just use that.

If not, then all you really need is a cheap soundcard [preferably with DDL/DTS-C support, in case you want 5.1 for more then just movies], such as the ASUS Xonar DS, ASUS Xonar D1/DX, or HT Omega Striker.

Charlezman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I play movies using wmp or vlc those are software no, maybe there are other software that can produce better sound than these two

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

Onboard HDMI ports don't support MCPCM or HD compression formats, just 2 channel PCM.

The only sound card that does MCPCM and HD compressed is the Asus HDAV 1.3.

Since the OP doesn't have his speakers connected to the computer the uncompressed MC PCM isn't important to him, correct?
The HD 5450 and it's HDMI ver 1.3 support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (MA) would have been an easy, inexpensive way to get the compressed audio bit-stream to the OP's receiver for unpacking.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

???

If his speakers aren't connected to the computer, how the hell is he gonna get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD? Magic?