Sign in with
Your question

2.5" Enclosure Issues

Last response: in Storage
May 5, 2012 8:57:57 PM

Hi guys,

I'm new here and this is my first time posting here. I generally post on a local website (LANThrax.com)

I am from Malta, but since I didn't get any feedback what so ever im posting here, coz I was hoping I could resolve this issue easily.

So I bought 2 enclosures from eBay, they work fine with USB and eSATA when connected to the USB's I have integrated onto the Monitor. But when I connect them (Yes both of them) to the motherboards back ports or the case's front ports, the enclosures start beeping. I tried connecting them with all the cables provided even with the ones that give extra power, still the same.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the Hard drive inside them is giving the faults, but you see the hard drives work fine, as when I remove the HDD's from the enclosures and connect them to my hard drive dock, they work fine. I've had this issue with other 2.5" enclosures, and at first I thought the enclosures were bad, but it appears now that it was not the enclosures, nor the hard drives.

My Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @2.66GHz
Kingston 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
2 SATA II Internal Mechanical Drives (1TB+2TB)
Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
ASRock P45R2000 Motherboard
EZCool 800w PSU

More about : enclosure issues

May 5, 2012 9:21:48 PM

steve7 said:
Hi guys,

I'm new here and this is my first time posting here. I generally post on a local website (LANThrax.com)

I am from Malta, but since I didn't get any feedback what so ever im posting here, coz I was hoping I could resolve this issue easily.

So I bought 2 enclosures from eBay, they work fine with USB and eSATA when connected to the USB's I have integrated onto the Monitor. But when I connect them (Yes both of them) to the motherboards back ports or the case's front ports, the enclosures start beeping. I tried connecting them with all the cables provided even with the ones that give extra power, still the same.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the Hard drive inside them is giving the faults, but you see the hard drives work fine, as when I remove the HDD's from the enclosures and connect them to my hard drive dock, they work fine. I've had this issue with other 2.5" enclosures, and at first I thought the enclosures were bad, but it appears now that it was not the enclosures, nor the hard drives.

My Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @2.66GHz
Kingston 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
2 SATA II Internal Mechanical Drives (1TB+2TB)
Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
ASRock P45R2000 Motherboard
EZCool 800w PSU

Did you confirm both the ports and the enclosure are either USB 2.0 or 3.0?

May 6, 2012 2:27:13 AM

the enclosures are USB 2.0 + eSATA no USB 3.0 there and my computer ports are all USB 2.0 :) . Thanks for quick reply.
Related resources
May 6, 2012 2:34:04 AM

can you try that hard drive and enclosure with another computer? if not uninstall the driver via device manager first, then plug it back in... that might do the trick..
May 6, 2012 3:59:29 PM

0shadow said:
can you try that hard drive and enclosure with another computer? if not uninstall the driver via device manager first, then plug it back in... that might do the trick..

Tried with a PC that USB 3.0 and it worked instantly... :/ .. Btw which driver do I install?
May 6, 2012 4:05:39 PM

*uninstall
May 6, 2012 4:07:42 PM

I uninstalled it from device manager and connected it to the front usb port still isn't detected and continuous beeping from the enclosure or hdd
May 6, 2012 8:38:50 PM

OK So I connected it to my dad's computer, with the front USB 2.0 ports it worked, with the front USB 3.0 port it also worked. So it seems my PC is the problem.... :/ .. I'm starting to think either my mobo or my powersupply is to blame, any feedback on this?
!