Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Standard PC battery with realtime clock

Last response: in Components
June 12, 2010 3:37:44 PM

Hi, Need to buy a standard PC battery with realtime clock. My Compaq Presario 6024 US (ya I know its old)needs a new one. Anyone know where I can get one without owing my life?

Best solution

June 13, 2010 3:53:16 PM

Most computers use one #2032 Lithium battery. I recently purchased a 6-pack of these batteries from Sam's Club for under $10 - I use these batteries in my garage door operator as well as in other portable electronic devices.

Try Sam's Club as well as Walmart.
June 20, 2010 5:36:16 PM

I checked Walmart and they don't carry any PC batteries. I will check the other place you suggested. Thanks for the name.
Related resources
June 20, 2010 5:36:40 PM

Best answer selected by shauntie1.
June 20, 2010 8:16:00 PM

Ask for #2032 Lithium batteries - don't mention the end use to the sales people ar Walmart. At Sam's club, you will find these batteries just outside the pharmacy. On the shelves adjoining the pharmacy front. Along with misc hearing aid batteries, glucose monitor batteries, etc. - just ask them.

BTW, at our local Sam's club, the pharmacist thought that #2032 stood for the expiration date (year 2032) - no kidding! LOL
June 21, 2010 11:24:06 AM

Ubrales said:
Ask for #2032 Lithium batteries - don't mention the end use to the sales people ar Walmart. At Sam's club, you will find these batteries just outside the pharmacy. On the shelves adjoining the pharmacy front. Along with misc hearing aid batteries, glucose monitor batteries, etc. - just ask them.

BTW, at our local Sam's club, the pharmacist thought that #2032 stood for the expiration date (year 2032) - no kidding! LOL

Thanks Ubrales, but what about having a real time clock? I don't understand that part. How does a battery have that? :bounce: 
June 21, 2010 1:47:41 PM

The real-time clock is part of the computer (integrated circuit), and is powered by the battery on the motherboard. This battery supplies alternate power to the real-time clock when the computer is turned OFF.
June 21, 2010 3:23:00 PM

Ubrales said:
The real-time clock is part of the computer (integrated circuit), and is powered by the battery on the motherboard. This battery supplies alternate power to the real-time clock when the computer is turned OFF.

Thanks. HP had me thinking I needed some type of special battery that had a clock in it. lol. I will look for this battery maybe in Radio Shack because I don't have a Sams club card. Thanks again. BTW, know why my computer keeps freezing in facebook applications? :pt1cable: 
June 21, 2010 5:16:02 PM

For pharmacy purchases from Sam's club (and Costco) you do not need a club membership. Tell the gatekeeper that you are going to the pharmacy. A broad smile should help when you request the pharmacy clerk to ring up the batteries. Tell them that they are for a glucose monitor (health product).

Regarding the freezeup; try 2 things: 1. Search for Windows updates and install all critical updates. 2. try individually downloading the latest drivers for all your programs.

If you have Windows 7, the updates are selected by clicking "Start", then "All Programs" and selecting Windows updates.

For Windows XP, make sure you have Service pack 3 installed right away. Then, go to Control Panel and turn ON "Automatic Updates" if it is not already turned ON.

BTW, HP would love to sell you their batteries at THEIR prices!

Facebook, eh? Do not provide too much personal information on any of the Social Networking sites. Please read this: http://www.symantec.com/norton/clubsymantec/library/art...
June 21, 2010 6:05:59 PM

Thank you Ubrales,

My internet provider, Comcast, gives me free Norton Security Suite version 4.2.0.1.2. I love the application. I run a comprehensive scan at least once per day. Was getting approx 10-14 low grade tracking cookies everytime I ran it. Today I received none. Was strange I thought but anyway, my PC is safe.

I have automatic updates turned on always. I already run FB with my full name (as most everyone else does). I noticed that my name was already out there in cyberville anyway. Any other personal info I do not give out. Thank you for your concern.
June 21, 2010 8:23:29 PM

I gave up Norton 4 years ago - when Peter Norton owned the company, things were great - not any more. Had numerous problems with Norton. Since then, I have switched to Kaspersky Internet Security - most recent purchase on Black Friday; for 3 computers for $20 - very satisfied.

Regarding the social sites - I get an average of about 4 emails per week informing me that I am the beneficiary of millions of $ in overseas banks. Even got two supposedly from "Robert Mueller - US DOJ" - Sooner or later, these scams will up the ante.

Now, coming back to the real-time clock battery - did you get it? #2032
June 22, 2010 1:28:21 AM

Not yet. (Had other errands). My neighbor has Kaperski. That is where all the other antivirus companyies get their definitions from I think. At least my last software did. Name avoids me right now. I need to get courage up to install it. I put 1G if Ram in by myself and vacuumed PC but havent tried anything else plumbing wise.

Will let you know how I make out. Very glad to be able to talk with you. I could call my (not the geek) fix it person who has repair shop of own but he wants to sell me a refurb PC and I'm holding out as much as I can at moment.

Good to talk with you Ubrales.
Shirley

Goodnite :sleep: 
!