Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How do I disable onboard graphic in order to use my expansion card?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
a c 78 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 10:36:29 PM

Open the BIOS at POST, find the graphics selection and change it from on-board to PCIe, then save and exit the BIOS. Upon re-POST your display will be from the expansion card and not the on-board video.
Score
0
December 8, 2010 10:40:22 PM

I did change the primary video adapter to PCIE->PCI->IGP in the bios, but then it starts up with the onboard graphic card. I thought the mainboard doesn't recognize the graphic card but then after I installed driver to it, it still the same.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 10:43:27 PM

You MOBO does not have the option to 'fully' disable the on-board GPU. After each step restart the computer.

1. Dedicated GPU:
Install the card and its drivers.

2. Windows:
Device Manager -> expand [+] Display Adapters, right-click on the 'Integrated' VGA {GeForce 7025} and Disable

3. BIOS:
Onboard Device Configuration
Primary Graphics Adapter -> {PCIe -> PCI -> IGP}
...OnChip VGA Frame Buffer -> Lowest setting 32MB
Score
0
December 9, 2010 1:03:49 AM

jaquith said:
You MOBO does not have the option to 'fully' disable the on-board GPU. After each step restart the computer.

1. Dedicated GPU:
Install the card and its drivers.

2. Windows:
Device Manager -> expand [+] Display Adapters, right-click on the 'Integrated' VGA {GeForce 7025} and Disable

3. BIOS:
Onboard Device Configuration
Primary Graphics Adapter -> {PCIe -> PCI -> IGP}
...OnChip VGA Frame Buffer -> Lowest setting 32MB

Okay so I did everything you instructed but the display adapter only show the intergrated VGA, it doesn't show the my new dedicated GPU which is a HD 6870. So the thing is now my PC displays without any kind of graphic card after I disable the integrated VGA.
Score
0
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 1:36:12 AM

Your monitor needs to be connected to the HD 6870 output. Next, look in your Device Manager of (?) or (!) 'unknown devices - right-click Update Drive and restart.

Example:
Score
0
December 9, 2010 1:53:56 AM

jaquith said:
Your monitor needs to be connected to the HD 6870 output. Next, look in your Device Manager of (?) or (!) 'unknown devices - right-click Update Drive and restart.

Example:
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/nividia9500gt_drivers.jpg

My monitor has HDMI and VGA. The HDMI I plug into the HD 6870 and the VGA I plug into the onboard graphic. So what you mean is to plug my monitor to HD 6870 output, but then when I changed to HDMI mode the monitor receive no signal at all(?)
Score
0

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 12:34:18 PM

No, you only want to use (1) one connection -- in this case "monitor to...The HDMI plug into the HD 6870" ONLY. I also assume that you installed the HD 6870 drivers.
Share
December 9, 2010 2:57:09 PM

jaquith said:
No, you only want to use (1) one connection -- in this case "monitor to...The HDMI plug into the HD 6870" ONLY. I also assume that you installed the HD 6870 drivers.

jaquith said:
No, you only want to use (1) one connection -- in this case "monitor to...The HDMI plug into the HD 6870" ONLY. I also assume that you installed the HD 6870 drivers.

Okay now my monitor receives signal from the PC through HD 6870, but in the device manager it said "standard VGA graphics adapter"?
Score
0
December 9, 2010 3:16:20 PM

Yayyyy it's working now, many thanks to you Jaquith, you're the best.
Score
0
December 9, 2010 3:16:32 PM

Best answer selected by timnguyen2402.
Score
0
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 7:31:10 PM

Glad to hear! :) 
Score
0
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 8:54:13 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
0
!