Sign in with
Your question

My first homebuilt system

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2010 6:48:54 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: no more than a month

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Graphic software like photoshop, 3ds max; gaming; internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS (windows 7 professional 64-bit)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com (their prices are often lower) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have already chosen all I need:

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P

CPU - Intel Core i7 860

GPU - XFX Radeon HD 5870

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB

DVD-drive - Sony Optiarc Black

Case - Cooler Master Storm Sniper

PSU -CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

Wi-Fi adapter - EDIMAX EW-7128G
I had a lot of problems with it. Could not find a wireless adapter, that would work on windows 7 64-bit. If you know one - write it here.

Let me know what you think - this my first build.

More about : homebuilt system

April 2, 2010 10:44:12 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- I would change the RAM, for this, that have low voltage, or for this
2- Change the PSU for this Antec 650W Plus Bronze certified, the PSU that you have isn't very good.
Related resources
April 2, 2010 11:05:06 PM

MoBo - Gigabyte MoBos have their USB 3 / SATA III speeeds crippled when a 2nd GFX card is sued....suggest an alternate board from Asus.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-performance...

Gigabyte’s P55A-UD4P cuts costs by using the processor’s PCIe 2.0 connections to host its high-bandwidth controllers. Two of the primary graphics card’s 16 PCIe lanes supply its USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, and Gigabyte disables six more lanes to make the upper slot an effective x8 interface. The USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers revert to the chipset’s 2.5 GT/s lanes whenever two graphics cards are installed, to preserve the x8 transfers each graphics card needs for optimal CrossFire or SLI performance.

Thus, users with a single graphics card must sacrifice half of its peak bandwidth to enable 5.0 Gb transfers to the USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, while those with two cards must live with 2.5 Gb/s bandwidth limits on USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers. Neither of these sacrifices is huge or even noticeable on most of today’s hardware, yet anyone trying to future-proof their system could be left cold.

RAM - Consider something faster than CAS 9

Hard Drives - Check out the performance charts and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The 2 TB WD Black and XT from Seagate are good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3 (there's a newly announced WD model .... no reviews yet that I have seen). The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)

Better Case / Better PSUs -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

5770 is adequate for that res if you need to save $$

April 2, 2010 11:28:21 PM

treefrog07 said:
Looks like there is a Win7 driver here.

Thanks a lot. However, some people say, that it still doesn't work. But I guess, it is supposed to, so I will make it work on mine.
April 3, 2010 12:19:58 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
MoBo - Gigabyte MoBos have their USB 3 / SATA III speeeds crippled when a 2nd GFX card is sued....suggest an alternate board from Asus.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-performance...

Gigabyte’s P55A-UD4P cuts costs by using the processor’s PCIe 2.0 connections to host its high-bandwidth controllers. Two of the primary graphics card’s 16 PCIe lanes supply its USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, and Gigabyte disables six more lanes to make the upper slot an effective x8 interface. The USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers revert to the chipset’s 2.5 GT/s lanes whenever two graphics cards are installed, to preserve the x8 transfers each graphics card needs for optimal CrossFire or SLI performance.

Thus, users with a single graphics card must sacrifice half of its peak bandwidth to enable 5.0 Gb transfers to the USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, while those with two cards must live with 2.5 Gb/s bandwidth limits on USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers. Neither of these sacrifices is huge or even noticeable on most of today’s hardware, yet anyone trying to future-proof their system could be left cold.

RAM - Consider something faster than CAS 9

Hard Drives - Check out the performance charts and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The 2 TB WD Black and XT from Seagate are good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3 (there's a newly announced WD model .... no reviews yet that I have seen). The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)

Better Case / Better PSUs -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

5770 is adequate for that res if you need to save $$

Thanks, this helped a lot. I've changed my hard drive, RAM. However, Antec 900 is not an option for me... I'm gonna stick with storm sniper - it's an awesome case.
April 3, 2010 1:52:33 AM

That Corsair is a very good PSU.
April 3, 2010 2:46:36 AM

saint19 said:
That Corsair is a very good PSU.

The question is - will it fit the case and work with my hardware? I am planning to add one more HDD and DVD-rom in the future, and probably 4 more gigs of memory. Will 650W be enough?
April 3, 2010 3:11:19 AM

Excellent choice on case and power supply, you'll get a lot of bang out of those.
April 3, 2010 3:14:09 AM

Fit perfectly in your case. And that PSU can handle a Crossfire, so, you will not have problems with the upgrades that you do in the future.
April 3, 2010 3:16:00 AM

saint19 said:
Fit perfectly in your case. And that PSU can handle a Crossfire, so, you will not have problems with the upgrades that you do in the future.

Thanks. I'm really planning to upgrade in future without buying a whole new system
April 3, 2010 3:18:51 AM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- I would change the RAM, for this, that have low voltage, or for this
2- Change the PSU for this Antec 650W Plus Bronze certified, the PSU that you have isn't very good.

Thanks, I've updated my post - G.Skill Ripjaws are really great RAM.
April 3, 2010 3:26:13 AM

Any time, that's why we are here.

Good choose with the RAM and PSU.
April 5, 2010 9:17:19 PM

Quote:
I've changed my PSU - check this out:
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

Or it's not good enough?

It's a good choice ... The Corsair TX series has same 9.0 performance rating at jonnyguru as the the EA-650.
April 5, 2010 9:40:03 PM

Quote:
The 5870 is totally OVERKILL for a 1680x1050, also the i7-860 doesn't help either.
A HD5850+i5 750 would be enough IMO.

Thanks. I've already decided to buy 5850 instead of 5870 (you've just proven that this is the right choice). However, I'm not sure about the CPU. i7 is faster than i5, and I can afford it - than why not to buy it?
April 6, 2010 12:09:29 AM

Quote:
Got a a point there, and didn't see that 860s are only 229 at microcenter. Really nice deal then. (why is the closest microcenter from me 2 states away? :(  )

U're just unlucky. :)  It's ten minutes away from my house. And you know, they've risen the price just yesterday - it was $200 before.
!