Intermittent LAN

BadMofo69

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I have had this problem for several days and cannot seem to find an answer. I have a Shuttle box that came with an Nvidia nForce network controller ( onboard ). Everytime I boot up its a roll of the dice whether I have lan or not. If I do not have lan it does not show up in device manager. When it first happened, I thought my LAN had died on me so I put in a Realtek RTL8139/810x. At first it worked and when I went to bed I shut my computer down. The next morning I woke up and it was doing the same thing. I have tried putting drivers from the cd on and Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller shows up about 50 times under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers in device manager and no network adapters. All of them had an exclamation point saying it is having problems because of one reason or another ( most of them have a different reason ). Please help if you have experience or any ideas with this problem. Thanks in advanced. BTW, I have tried multiple cables (even gone as far as to rewire the ends of the ethernet cables). Also, multiple tests rule out the cables causing the problem.

Windows 7 ultimate
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.60 ghz
2 gb memory
Shuttle box (not sure of model it was given to me from my dad)

BadMofo69

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Well, I have tried plugging the network cable into another computer and it worked. At times I will have no network while others on the same router will have network. It is not the network. I finally have internet again yet I still do not know if I have fixed the problem or if it is still there and losing my network again is imminent. I noticed that when my network came back, both the card and onboard network was displayed under network connections, which before when the network was down it did not show any. Could it be a corrupt installation of windows?

BadMofo69

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I tried both drivers. It did not even show the adapter under network connections. I am stumped with trying to find the problem. I just reinstalled a couple months ago and have all my prgrams and games installed. I do not want to go through it again. A reinstall , I hope, is avoidable. But a reinstall looks like it is imminent.