Update 5870 drivers

aymanzone

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hi there,

I just bought a new computer with a 5870 but i'm still confused on how to update.

Some files in the Sapphire 5870 website have the same name but "different" dates of update. So do I need to download "all" the files on the website (including those with the same name) for proper update, or I just need to download the "latest" update date" of that file?

I hope this question is new or hasn't been asked before :eek:, sorry if waisting time.

Thanks.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Just go to http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx and download the "full catalyst software suite" for your particular version of windows (I'm guessing it'll be win 7 64, maybe 32 if you just bought the comp). Download it and run the installer. Should work. You may have to uninstall the previous drivers first, but you can do that through the control panel/add remove programs and getting rid of all the ATI stuff.

aymanzone

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hi,

I downloaded and installed the software but my ati software and control pannel only identify the card as an 5800 serious and not 5870. Is that normal? Thanks.

btw, i'm getting the itchy feeling that i may need to download the files for the ati chipset, ie. sapphire sites.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Yes its normal as far as I know to have it identified only as a 5800 series (my 4870 did the same thing and my 5750 is a 5700 series as well).
As for the chipset, are you meaning your motherboard, or the something with the GPU? You don't need anything else for the GPU and nothing from Sapphire's site. If you are running an AMD Chipset on your motherboard, you can get those from the AMD website as well.

aymanzone

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I meant the Sapphire GPU chipset. But from your answer I take it I don't need to do go the sapphire website.

thanks for your help flyinfini.

/bow

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Yeah- you don't need anything else for the GPU from the Sapphire website. There is only the one driver, which you already got the latest from ATI's website.
No problem:) Enjoy the 5870- its a GREAT card.