Sign in with
Your question

7950 Overclocking weird crashing

Last response: in Overclocking
February 17, 2013 9:02:14 PM

Hello. I just got a Sapphire HD Radeon 7950 Boost with 925MHz GPU clock and 1250MHz memory clock at stock( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098HW1HG/ref=oh_deta... ), that is what AMD CCC says anyway. I've been trying to OC it further and I have been having a weird issue . I OC it to 1100/1350 and it goes through benchmarks like the Heaven benchmark and 3dmark11 without any problems, I also ran in game benchmarks like GTA4,resident Evil 5 and Sleeping dogs and runs great. The problem that arises is when ever I open a video file and play it in windows media player it will crash my video card. I have dual monitors and on my main monitor it shows a crash/artifacts here is a picture of what I mean:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8509/brokenm.jpg

This only happens when I change the memory clock tested only changing the gpu clock and no crashes with it.The temperatures are fine highest it got was 75C with heaven benchmark.

On my other monitor (Sorry should of taken a pic of both in the image)it doesn't show that image, the other monitor is extended and not the same image on both if any one is wondering. Eventually if I wait long enough on my other monitor it will BSOD 0x00000116

Also when I lower the memory below 1350 and above the default 1250 it wont crash when I open the video but it will flash/flicker on the bottom half of the second monitor , this also happens when I skip the video ahead or rewind it. This will also happen sometimes when I watch a video on YouTube. I have set the power control setting to +20% and used CCC,afterburner and trixx to try and OC it.

I have the latest beta drivers and Catalyst Version 13.2

Am I doing something wrong or is it the card because it doesn't matter anything higher than 1250 will cause a problem outside gaming/benchmarking have yet to crash during those but watching videos gives me problems.

Other PC Specs
Core i5 760
4GB
Windows 7
TX750 PSU

EDIT:

I tried I rolling the driver back to 13.1 and the same issue. This time I tried opening the video file first and it flickers my monitor still but didn't crash. I then did a benchmark on heaven and went through it fine. Then I went back to open the video and it crashed. This was on 1100/1350. I should also mention every time I hit apply after changing the memory clock the screen flickers.

EDIT: Did some benchmarks with 1150/1400 and passed heaven benchmark. I then did 3dmark11 and got these scores:
Performance: P8604 with Graphic Score 10056 ,physics 5950, combined 6086
Extreme: X3211 with Graphic Score 2975, physics 5970, combined 3890.

Opened a video file, crashed.
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 7:54:50 PM

akskiller said:
*snip*

Hmmmm...

Sounds like maybe a fault with the card itself. When I have hardware issues I like to first check to make sure they are properly seated in their slot. I'd reseat the graphics card. After that, maybe try the 12.10 CCC drivers. I've had weird issues with 13.X drivers on my 7870s, like graphical artifacts limited to certain programs.

Follow this guide to uninstall the drivers correctly. It is extensive, but thorough. Careful not to skip any steps.

http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-unins...

If that doesn't work, perhaps it is an issue with the card itself and not much can be done about that other than sticking with stock clocks. Another possibility is that it is an issue with the video player, which I guess is possible, but I seriously doubt it. Perhaps try using a different video player and see how that works.

My last guess would be that it could be an issue with the dual monitor setup conflicting with some sort of video operation or drivers. Perhaps that is worth looking into.

BTW, your link to an image file is broken.
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:46:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I fixed the links, sorry about that.

Before I saw your reply I decided to try another pcie slot and it doesn't seem to crash when I open the video file, but it still flickers the monitor, my secondary one, whenever I hit apply on sapphire trixx as well as skipping the video.

I will try what you suggested if it crashes again, I will keep opening the file through the day and see if its stable and run some benchmarks some more.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 8:52:27 PM

For what it's worth, my 7950 (MSI Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC) does not like having the memory overclocked. I can get the core clock to run stable at 1000mhz with default voltage and 1100mhz with just a slight increase, but as soon as I mess with the memory clock I start having problems. If I bump the voltage, I can get it to pass Heaven and 3DMark11 at 1100/1575, but in games I start getting artifacts and tearing. I gave up and just run it at 1100/1250 now. The memory clock increase never seemed to add much performance anyways.
m
l
February 18, 2013 9:04:24 PM

As I mentioned above I didn't crash when I opened the video file first. I then went and did a heaven benchmark and passed it and then right after the benchmark I went to open a video file and it crashed with the image I linked above.

Slow Trot said:
For what it's worth, my 7950 (MSI Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC) does not like having the memory overclocked. I can get the core clock to run stable at 1000mhz with default voltage and 1100mhz with just a slight increase, but as soon as I mess with the memory clock I start having problems. If I bump the voltage, I can get it to pass Heaven and 3DMark11 at 1100/1575, but in games I start getting artifacts and tearing. I gave up and just run it at 1100/1250 now. The memory clock increase never seemed to add much performance anyways.

Do we both have bad cards that dont like to be overclocked? ;p
m
l
February 18, 2013 9:32:01 PM

Sorry for the double post(and double thread, my bad!) but I think I found my problem

So I unplugged my secondary monitor and the flickering disappeared when I click apply and skipping in a video.(Flickering happened on my secondary monitor only)
I then ran heaven benchmark, passed it and went to open a video file and it didn't crash. Tried it multiple times and seems to be stable. So does that mean somehow my secondary monitor is causing this crash on my main monitor because only my main monitor show the artifact as you can see on the picture I posted. Anyway to resolve it? Thanks.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 10:10:32 PM

akskiller said:
Sorry for the double post(and double thread, my bad!) but I think I found my problem

So I unplugged my secondary monitor and the flickering disappeared when I click apply and skipping in a video.(Flickering happened on my secondary monitor only)
I then ran heaven benchmark, passed it and went to open a video file and it didn't crash. Tried it multiple times and seems to be stable. So does that mean somehow my secondary monitor is causing this crash on my main monitor because only my main monitor show the artifact as you can see on the picture I posted. Anyway to resolve it? Thanks.

I suppose it's possible. I have little experience with multi-monitor setups. But now that you've narrowed it down to that, maybe a google search for similar problems will yield some results.

Wish I could be of more help!

But about the overclocking, my cards actually seem to show better framerate improvements from memory overclocking. I don't know why, because all I've read tells me it should be the other way around, but my cards really love the memory clock. I'm using dual Gigabyte 7870s in crossfire.

On a related note, crossfire is equally as weird. Each of my cards overclocks to 1175 / 1450 with ease. In crossfire, I see significant performance drop-offs if I push them beyond 1250 on the memory. I'm actually getting better performance on lower clock settings, despite both of my cards taking gold medals in overclocking.

Oh vidya curd, y u do dis?
m
l
October 11, 2013 4:55:58 AM

This is going to seem like quite a bit of a bump but I feel it is necessary. I am having the same issue as OP with my 7970 Ghz. I am also running 2 monitors and only the main monitor artifacts. I noticed that when running multiple monitors, the Memory clock goes to its highest setting. This may be related.

I have now stopped using any overclocks and will report if it happens again, which from reading OP's tests it wont. If it does, I will stop using 2 displays and test again.
m
l
October 22, 2013 1:41:54 PM

b737lvr said:
This is going to seem like quite a bit of a bump but I feel it is necessary. I am having the same issue as OP with my 7970 Ghz. I am also running 2 monitors and only the main monitor artifacts. I noticed that when running multiple monitors, the Memory clock goes to its highest setting. This may be related.

I have now stopped using any overclocks and will report if it happens again, which from reading OP's tests it wont. If it does, I will stop using 2 displays and test again.

b737lvr,

Did you find anything out? I just got a brand new 7950 and the image got scrambled like it described. Very frustrating. Thinking about going Nvidia sadly. Thank you.
m
l
October 22, 2013 2:01:06 PM

wwusa83 said:
b737lvr said:

b737lvr,

Did you find anything out? I just got a brand new 7950 and the image got scrambled like it described. Very frustrating. Thinking about going Nvidia sadly. Thank you.

Yes. I figured out that it does it on all GPUs. Both Nvidia and AMD. It has something to do with the fact that when running 2 monitors, the Memory Clock usage is significantly higher. So when you overclock the memory clock speeds, it will become very unstable when running 2 monitors.

Switching to Nvidia will do nothing
m
l
!