Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New to watercooling

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 17, 2013 10:06:30 PM

Well I am new to water cooling and I'm wondering if there's any problem with these parts I have done my research and I think they all are compatible and will be sufficient to cool my CPU, and what type of cooling liquid do you guys recommend?

My case is a phantom 410



Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta Single 120mm Radiator - 80mm Thick

Select G 1/4" Fittings (Qty. 2): 1/2 x 3/4 Compression Fittings-Black ($18.98)
$98.97


PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD - Brilliant UV Blue (PFLEXA-34-B) $27.50


XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Laing D5 / MCP655 w/ Blue LED Light - Black

Select G 1/4" Fittings (Qty. 2): 1/2 x 3/4 Compression Fittings-Black ($18.98)
$78.93


Swiftech Apogee HD High Performance 4-Port CPU Waterblock - Black - Intel (w/ LGA 2011 Hardware) / AMD Ready** (Apogee-HD-BK) $69.99
Subtotal: $275.39

More about : watercooling

a c 92 K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 10:40:22 PM

Rather than getting the compression fittings with the parts, I might suggest looking at the Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting - 1/2"ID x 3/4"OD - Modders 6 Pack Blue for $40 - seems to beat the "include this" price easily. They come in a lot of colors to match whatever you've got going around them - I chose blue to match the tubing. A set of 6 will take care of your waterblock (you need have the top insert at it's furthest point to fit those but it is reported they will fit), your rad and your res/pump.
Hope it helps
m
0
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 3:30:50 AM

I would change the rad to a 240mm, you have the room to mount it up at the top. Might want to get a slim one as well, from the pics im looking at motherboard clearance may be an issue, especially if you push/pull.

As for liquid, whatever Distilled water is available at your local supermarket. Theres no real benefit to pre-mixed coolants or "Quality" distilled water, its overly expensive and performs the same (or worse in coolants case) as supermarket distilled.
Make sure you have some kind of anti-microbial solution, whether it be a Kill-Coil, Biocide or even UV light.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 4:59:54 PM

C12Friedman said:
Rather than getting the compression fittings with the parts, I might suggest looking at the Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting - 1/2"ID x 3/4"OD - Modders 6 Pack Blue for $40 - seems to beat the "include this" price easily. They come in a lot of colors to match whatever you've got going around them - I chose blue to match the tubing. A set of 6 will take care of your waterblock (you need have the top insert at it's furthest point to fit those but it is reported they will fit), your rad and your res/pump.
Hope it helps


Well as for fittings I will go for the pack of six and save like 30 bucks but I dont get what you mean by "you need have the top insert at it's furthest point to fit those but it is reported they will fit"?
m
0
l
February 18, 2013 5:03:05 PM

manofchalk said:
I would change the rad to a 240mm, you have the room to mount it up at the top. Might want to get a slim one as well, from the pics im looking at motherboard clearance may be an issue, especially if you push/pull.

As for liquid, whatever Distilled water is available at your local supermarket. Theres no real benefit to pre-mixed coolants or "Quality" distilled water, its overly expensive and performs the same (or worse in coolants case) as supermarket distilled.
Make sure you have some kind of anti-microbial solution, whether it be a Kill-Coil, Biocide or even UV light.


For the radiator I have been looking for a 25mm thick 240 rad but it is quiet hard, and would it give me better cooling then a H100, because they are the same in terms of thickness only difference is fines Aluminum(h100) and copper(aftermarket), and thanks for the ideas for coolants and would a silver coil in the reservoir do?
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 5:06:29 PM

Aluminium in W/c is a no-no, read the sticky up top for some ground knowledge,
no coolants, just plain distilled and a killcoil, maybe a drop or two of PT Nuke if you wish, I use killcoils and UV personally
Moto
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 5:28:34 PM

Quote:
For the radiator I have been looking for a 25mm thick 240 rad but it is quiet hard, and would it give me better cooling then a H100, because they are the same in terms of thickness only difference is fines Aluminum(h100) and copper(aftermarket), and thanks for the ideas for coolants and would a silver coil in the reservoir do?


The radiator thickness is only 1 one of several reasons to compare performance differences between any 240 rad...you have to consider materials used for rad manufacture, fin and tube layout/density, flow rate, fans and loop TDP (among a few others).
m
0
l
a c 92 K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 5:53:34 PM

menojh said:
"you need have the top insert at it's furthest point to fit those but it is reported they will fit"?

Sorry, I was thinking of the Apogee XT waterblock
m
0
l
February 18, 2013 6:09:06 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Aluminium in W/c is a no-no, read the sticky up top for some ground knowledge,
no coolants, just plain distilled and a killcoil, maybe a drop or two of PT Nuke if you wish, I use killcoils and UV personally
Moto


SO after market rads do perform better
m
0
l
February 18, 2013 6:09:13 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Aluminium in W/c is a no-no, read the sticky up top for some ground knowledge,
no coolants, just plain distilled and a killcoil, maybe a drop or two of PT Nuke if you wish, I use killcoils and UV personally
Moto


SO after market rads do perform better
m
0
l
February 18, 2013 6:14:46 PM

Well does anybody Know where to find a 25mm thick radiator can't seem to find one, or do you guys know if the phantom 410 can hold a 30mm thick radiator?
m
0
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 9:25:19 PM

Where can I find a tall person that is 1m in height?
Your not going to find a thick 25mm rad because 25mm is thin.

And as Rubix pointed out, there are other factors to consider than thickness when it comes to a rad such as the FPI and fans attached.
My advice, go for an XSPC EX rad. With slow to medium fans, the perform the same as the much thicker and more expensive RX rads.
IMO, the price to performance on thick rads isn't worth it, especially once you factor in getting strong fans which can be $15 each. Their good if your after absolute performance or have limited rad space available, but if that isnt a concern just get slim rads.
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 12:26:24 AM

manofchalk said:
Where can I find a tall person that is 1m in height?
Your not going to find a thick 25mm rad because 25mm is thin.

And as Rubix pointed out, there are other factors to consider than thickness when it comes to a rad such as the FPI and fans attached.
My advice, go for an XSPC EX rad. With slow to medium fans, the perform the same as the much thicker and more expensive RX rads.
IMO, the price to performance on thick rads isn't worth it, especially once you factor in getting strong fans which can be $15 each. Their good if your after absolute performance or have limited rad space available, but if that isnt a concern just get slim rads.


What I was talking about is a 25mm thick radiator not a radiator that is thick and 25mm, the only reson why I need such a thin radiator is because my nzxt phantom only has the capacity to house thin radiators and I am not sure if it will house a 30mm radiator if so I will probably go with the xspc one.
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 19, 2013 12:54:56 PM

Seems you have your mind made up on what you want to do.

Good luck.
m
0
l
!