FIRST OVERCLOCK, big numbers? Whats going on here?

krieegs

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hey guys.
First overclock - I have a 3570k on a sabertooth Z77.
The BIOS has pretty much done everything it's self which has made it really easy - however I'm not sure whether these settings are correct or not.

Here is a picture:
http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img809/8789/cpuoc.png

Isn't 1.3v extremely high for ivy-bridge? How can I bring that down? At load under prime95 the temperatures are below 80 celcius which is good, however I'm really unsure as to whether this is right or not.
I didn't raise the BLCK speed either, that was done automatically somehow - I think when I selected performance on the BIOS front page.

Any help or commentary would be greatly appreciated.

krieegs

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Are you sure man?
1.3v seems way too high to me, am I wrong about that?
The voltage is in offset mode - can you tell me how to bring it down to lower than 1.3?

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
yes its fine! lower is better.

in your bios, go to the vcore, and set it manually. I would lower it to 1.28 or something and see if that works. if it doesnt boot, bsod, or you get core errors when stress testing, you need more voltage. if it boots up, runs fine, passes a stress test, you should be good to go.

for a reference, im at 4.7ghz, on 1.296 v...same cpu and MB. you may not see the same results. a lot of trial and error.

krieegs

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Ok awesome thanks for that.
I enabled XMP and manually set it to 1.2v and I'm getting 4.5ghz at less than 60 degrees which is good I think. I might pump the voltage up to 1.25 and see if I can go up to 4.7?
What do you think?

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
yeah sounds like you have the head room. the temps will start to jump up, the higher you go. just dont go crazy with the voltage. Im sure you could squeeze a bit more out of it ;)

I usually run prime for about 20 mins to make sure its in a good place. then at least a couple hours, to get it to max temps. then 8 or more hours, to make sure shes solid.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

i used this guide. at the bottom there is a link for using the offset method, to overclocking. read through it. if you want it to idle down properly when not in use, your gonna want to give it a try.

sounds like you have got a winner though, enjoy!

krieegs

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Thanks for the help bro - I have a feeling that this unit could be a good processor. I got the air out of my line and the temps have gone down even further.
Might try for 4.7!

TRENDING THREADS