JamesTheNewGuy

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I am a complete noob when it comes to oc. I just finished my 2nd build a couple months ago to play planetside 2 and I realized a couple things. 1) Probably didn't buy the best parts to play the dumb game and 2) To get decent fps out of that game Ill have to oc.

As of now I get 30-40 fps 95% of the time. The fps counter in the game sites what is bottle-necking the game. Again, most the time it says gpu but occasionally it switches to cpu and if it stays that way for long the game will crash. I know that the game is poorly optimized for AMD processors but I only found that out after hours and hours of threading through forums when I ran into this problem of low fps/crashes.

Someone in the game told me he has an 8150 as well but he oc's his and claims he gets 80-100 fps always. The game is very heavily CPU bound so I don't think the 50+ fps difference is only from my gpu. The guy did say he has a 1000w PSU and that mine was far too low (650w rosewell).

I currently have installed:
-AMD 8150fx
-EVGA GTX 550ti
-GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
-G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (also running @1300 because I don't know to oc them correctly. I've seen too many variants with similar builds to know which to use specifically for myself)
-Western Digital 640 AALS
-Rosewell 650w PSU
-Windows 7 64x

I've successfully (at least I think) oc my GPU to get an EVGA fury benchmark of 29910 @ 498 fps (Way better than the 170 fps I was getting stock). The GPU stays under 65 C so I figure that is fine.

I'd like to oc my CPU to see if I can get better performance out of the game. However, not sure how to do it or if its safe with what I currently have installed.

OC the memory would be fun as well but I hear nothing can fully utilize 16gb @ 1300 anyway (at least not games) so it is not as important to me.

Hi,

Have you read any guides? It's the best way to understand how to overclock and what the settings do.

Check out this guide: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?275891-Bulldozer-Overclocking-Guide-(Performance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-coming!

JamesTheNewGuy

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah I have read them, most of them are quite annoying to read as they have lingo I don't know and simply say change something when I am not sure how or why to change it.

That guide you posted is pretty good. Under "How do we OC Bulldozer?" and number 4 it says "At this time HT multiplier needs to be changed as well. Also your DRAM multiplier needs to be changed."

Change to what? so that they are the same as stock? Under a certain range? Usually he was pretty good about that but for those changes, I am not sure what to do.