Belkin F5D6001, WPA2

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I'm running a dual boot system with Ubuntu 9.10 and Vista. Ubuntu lets me set the wireless encryption for WPA2 on an older Belkin F5D6001 v. 3. Vista won't. The windows drivers from Belkin are up to date (not very) Is there anyway, to say, get newer drivers from a chipset manufacturer? If Linux drivers will WPA2 then there must not be a limitation to the hardware.

On a Belkin of that age, even the most modern driver won't make it recognise WPA2 even though, as you've noticed, Linux has no such limitations. I'm afraid you'll have to downgrade security or upgrade the adapter. If only Vista behaved like XP, you could add a Preferred network and then it might recognise the security level but sadly, M$ decreed we could no longer do that with ease.

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Or I could just wipe the MS partition and stick with UBUNTU. :wahoo: Actually, while trying to get various drivers downloaded for the MS boot I realized I can still download Windows software to an external drive under linux and then access it in Vista latter, so maybe I'll go with that compromise for a while. If it gets too annoying then I can get an upgraded card.