xp home edition window cannot find scohost.exe after scann..

Jim

after scanning this hdd for virus, i attached the hdd back into its own pc
and upon restart, got the following message under the heading

"c:\windows\system32\svohost.exe"
'windows cannot find c:\windoes\system32\svohost.exe. make sure you type the
name correctly and then try again. to search for a file....'

i did a search by typing 'svohost.exe' and it give me the following result.
-found in folder c:\windows\prefetch
svohost.exe-2FA3EB46.pf

i updated the windows but the mesage still appears. (i have many other
sotware programs in the pc and do not wish to re-install them.) i have the
Product Recvery CD. your prompt advice what shall i do next is much
appreciated. many thanks

Jim

furthe to my message, when i go to msconfig, i found
1/ svchostx svchostx.exe HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer.
2/ svchost c:\WINDOWS\svchost....

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer.

pls advice, many thanks

"jim" wrote:

> after scanning this hdd for virus, i attached the hdd back into its own pc
> and upon restart, got the following message under the heading
>
> "c:\windows\system32\svohost.exe"
> 'windows cannot find c:\windoes\system32\svohost.exe. make sure you type the
> name correctly and then try again. to search for a file....'
>
> i did a search by typing 'svohost.exe' and it give me the following result.
> -found in folder c:\windows\prefetch
> svohost.exe-2FA3EB46.pf
>
> i updated the windows but the mesage still appears. (i have many other
> sotware programs in the pc and do not wish to re-install them.) i have the
> Product Recvery CD. your prompt advice what shall i do next is much
> appreciated. many thanks

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004