ATI 5000 series price after the 470 and 480 release

wiobin

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
What will the price be of the 5000 series after the 470 and 480 release and when will the price drop?

Solution
I couldn't wait. Got my 5870 and am happy with it. The GTX 470/480 cards will only be able to force a price drop if they provide proper performance AND are in adequate supply. Even if they manage to provide a better price/performance ratio than the 5000 series, if they are in short supply they won't really be able to affect the cost of Radeon cards. As it is Radeon cards are creeping up due to rising component costs and low supply. I wouldn't count on a price drop anytime soon, but hey if you can wait a week may as well just wait and see ^_^

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
It really depends on what the GTX470 and 480 price is at release. If they are low, the ATI cards will probably drop. If they are higher, then they may not drop so much. If they are SUPER high (normal Nvidia) then the prices might not change much at all. I'd guess they'll drop a little, but not a ton.

I couldn't wait. Got my 5870 and am happy with it. The GTX 470/480 cards will only be able to force a price drop if they provide proper performance AND are in adequate supply. Even if they manage to provide a better price/performance ratio than the 5000 series, if they are in short supply they won't really be able to affect the cost of Radeon cards. As it is Radeon cards are creeping up due to rising component costs and low supply. I wouldn't count on a price drop anytime soon, but hey if you can wait a week may as well just wait and see ^_^

Solution

Nope, Not ATI users, ATI fanboys say that.

Here's the thing:

Right now ATI is the better choice. The Enthusiast market can be broken into 3 parts: 25% ATI fanboys, 25% Nvidia fanboys, and 50% Neutral people who just want the best GPU for the money like me.

So right now Nvidia is selling to the 25% part of the market that will blindly but their cards no matter what (retards) .

ATI is selling to the 25% of people who will will blindly buy their cards no matter what (retards) and the educated informed 50% of people who have a brain and decided that ATI is the way to go right now.

So right now all people buying NVidia cards are fanboys (retards), but only 1/3rd of the people buying ATI cards are.

I don't think it can be broken into such neat packages like that. There are some features that they don't share that could be important to someone. I'd also have a hard time calling a person a retard because they have a brand preference due to a good experience in the past. I'm not saying it's the most informed choice at times, but it's not that huge of a difference atm.

Responses like this are the main reason I tend to phrase my posts in the manner I do, interesting outlook you have there.

It 's a HUGE difference. The only reason I would retract the Retard comment is if someone told me they were a multi billionare,and money is no object, and they want a 3D vision build.

Otherwise there is no reason to buy a Nvidia card now.

But Bob, Durr de Durr Durr I like PhysX flam flam flam flame.

PhysX sucks, the only thing Nvidia has right now over ATI is 3D vision.

I am using 5870's atm, so if anything, I should be agreeing with you, but you seem to be imposing your opinion on others. I know mousemonkey, for example, has at least half of all the GPU accelerated PhysX games, so I would imagine someone like him, would want to have physX. It also might be that he went out of his way to take advantage of physX when choosing games, which probably would give him more incentive to get physX.

I have a dedicated 8800gts for physX myself. It's not game changing to me, but it is nice to have.

99% of the PhysX games are utter trash, and the the other 1% are poor/average.

Batman is OK/Good-ish, but not worth a purchase for everybody and it's the best one.

Paying Extra to play One game that's like a 8.75/10? I think not...

Point Still stands, Only 1 decent PhysX game, and it's a minimal difference even within that game.

PhysX is a way to reuse old cards, not a selling point.

Also, Lolz at anyone that pays money for a dedicated PhysX card.

Now 3D vision, that's some awesome *** that's worth every penny.

Whilst bystander is totally correct in that I do have several PhysX enabled titles in my rather extensive collection, there are other reasons for having Nvidia cards besides that, PhysX was just a bonus. If I were to buy a pair of cards now or in the next few weeks (which I'm not going to do) then they would be Nvidia cards simply because I would not have to replace the motherboard to take advantage of a dual card setup.

So If i offered you two 5870s or two GTX 285s for free you would take the GTX 285s?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

(they are the same price)

I'm rapidly losing respect MouseMonkey.....

Also, are there any PhysX games other than Batman that don't blow?

Then make the bona fida offer and see what happens, as it won't be my money that I'll be spending on the cards the decision making process may reflect the financial circumstance but as you are not likely to be serious why should I care whether you respect me or not because of a hypothetical offer?

As I'm in the UK it would be useless to me, but if I were to have the equivalent for spending here then I would spend it on an X58 board, an i7 CPU, a 900w PSU and if there were enough left an SSD then I would plug my 8800GT's in and wait to see what the second generation of Fermi and the HD 5 series turn out like.