Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ATI 5000 series price after the 470 and 480 release

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2010 9:08:39 PM

What will the price be of the 5000 series after the 470 and 480 release and when will the price drop?
March 15, 2010 9:20:37 PM

It really depends on what the GTX470 and 480 price is at release. If they are low, the ATI cards will probably drop. If they are higher, then they may not drop so much. If they are SUPER high (normal Nvidia) then the prices might not change much at all. I'd guess they'll drop a little, but not a ton.
March 15, 2010 9:23:18 PM

I was just wondering because I would like to buy a 5850, because I don't know if I can wait any longer because of damn nvidia.
Related resources
March 15, 2010 9:24:54 PM

wiobin said:
I was just wondering because I would like to buy a 5850, because I don't know if I can wait any longer because of damn nvidia.

Why wait? If that's the card you want then just go and buy one.
March 15, 2010 9:36:29 PM

Its another 2 weeks. Honestly, the prices might drop some, but I doubt they'll drop more that $10-20 unless the 470 and 480 are in the $300-$400 range.

Best solution

March 15, 2010 10:24:36 PM

I couldn't wait. Got my 5870 and am happy with it. The GTX 470/480 cards will only be able to force a price drop if they provide proper performance AND are in adequate supply. Even if they manage to provide a better price/performance ratio than the 5000 series, if they are in short supply they won't really be able to affect the cost of Radeon cards. As it is Radeon cards are creeping up due to rising component costs and low supply. I wouldn't count on a price drop anytime soon, but hey if you can wait a week may as well just wait and see ^_^
March 15, 2010 10:46:19 PM

Best answer selected by wiobin.
March 15, 2010 10:57:12 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Why wait? If that's the card you want then just go and buy one.

Yeh, Why wait a week to save up to 100$....

Worst case scenario he makes/loeses 0$.
March 15, 2010 11:00:54 PM

builderbobftw said:
Yeh, Why wait a week to save up to 100$....

Worst case scenario he makes/loeses 0$.

ATi users always say that their cards are better, so why should the cost be of any concern?
March 15, 2010 11:07:04 PM

Mousemonkey said:
ATi users always say that their cards are better, so why should the cost be of any concern?

It's always been a cost/performance choice, except for the very highest end.
March 15, 2010 11:07:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Nope, Not ATI users, ATI fanboys say that.

Here's the thing:

Right now ATI is the better choice. The Enthusiast market can be broken into 3 parts: 25% ATI fanboys, 25% Nvidia fanboys, and 50% Neutral people who just want the best GPU for the money like me.

So right now Nvidia is selling to the 25% part of the market that will blindly but their cards no matter what (retards) .

ATI is selling to the 25% of people who will will blindly buy their cards no matter what (retards) and the educated informed 50% of people who have a brain and decided that ATI is the way to go right now.

So right now all people buying NVidia cards are fanboys (retards), but only 1/3rd of the people buying ATI cards are.
March 15, 2010 11:09:57 PM

builderbobftw said:

Here's the thing:

Right now ATI is the better choice. The Enthusiast market can be broken into 3 parts: 25% ATI fanboys, 25% Nvidia fanboys, and 50% Neutral people who just want the best GPU for the money like me.

So right now Nvidia is selling to the 25% part of the market that will blindly but their cards no matter what (retards) .

ATI is selling to the 25% of people who will will blindly buy their cards no matter what (retards) and the educated informed 50% of people who have a brain and decided that ATI is the way to go right now.

So right now all people buying NVidia cards are fanboys (retards), but only 1/3rd of the people buying ATI cards are.

I don't think it can be broken into such neat packages like that. There are some features that they don't share that could be important to someone. I'd also have a hard time calling a person a retard because they have a brand preference due to a good experience in the past. I'm not saying it's the most informed choice at times, but it's not that huge of a difference atm.
March 15, 2010 11:18:00 PM

builderbobftw said:

Here's the thing:

Responses like this are the main reason I tend to phrase my posts in the manner I do, interesting outlook you have there.
March 15, 2010 11:20:42 PM

bystander said:
I don't think it can be broken into such neat packages like that. There are some features that they don't share that could be important to someone. I'd also have a hard time calling a person a retard because they have a brand preference due to a good experience in the past. I'm not saying it's the most informed choice at times, but it's not that huge of a difference atm.

It 's a HUGE difference. The only reason I would retract the Retard comment is if someone told me they were a multi billionare,and money is no object, and they want a 3D vision build.

Otherwise there is no reason to buy a Nvidia card now.

But Bob, Durr de Durr Durr I like PhysX flam flam flam flame.

PhysX sucks, the only thing Nvidia has right now over ATI is 3D vision.
March 15, 2010 11:28:10 PM

I am using 5870's atm, so if anything, I should be agreeing with you, but you seem to be imposing your opinion on others. I know mousemonkey, for example, has at least half of all the GPU accelerated PhysX games, so I would imagine someone like him, would want to have physX. It also might be that he went out of his way to take advantage of physX when choosing games, which probably would give him more incentive to get physX.

I have a dedicated 8800gts for physX myself. It's not game changing to me, but it is nice to have.
March 15, 2010 11:31:08 PM

bystander said:
I am using 5870's atm, so if anything, I should be agreeing with you, but you seem to be imposing your opinion on others. I know mousemonkey, for example, has at least half of all the GPU accelerated PhysX games, so I would imagine someone like him, would want to have physX. It also might be that he went out of his way to take advantage of physX when choosing games, which probably would give him more incentive to get physX.

I have a dedicated 8800gts for physX myself. It's not game changing to me, but it is nice to have.

99% of the PhysX games are utter trash, and the the other 1% are poor/average.

Batman is OK/Good-ish, but not worth a purchase for everybody and it's the best one.

Paying Extra to play One game that's like a 8.75/10? I think not...
March 15, 2010 11:33:17 PM

There are only about 14, if only one is good, that's still 7%. I know, 80% of all numbers on the internet are made up and called fact :p 
March 15, 2010 11:40:42 PM

Be careful:

a.) Some of those games aren't even listed as PC.
b.) Most are not GPU accelerated, only CPU, which runs the same regardless of GPU.
March 15, 2010 11:42:41 PM

EXT64 said:
Be careful:

a.) Some of those games aren't even listed as PC.
b.) Most are not GPU accelerated, only CPU, which runs the same regardless of GPU.

Point Still stands, Only 1 decent PhysX game, and it's a minimal difference even within that game.

PhysX is a way to reuse old cards, not a selling point.

Also, Lolz at anyone that pays money for a dedicated PhysX card.

Now 3D vision, that's some awesome *** that's worth every penny.
March 15, 2010 11:49:48 PM

Whilst bystander is totally correct in that I do have several PhysX enabled titles in my rather extensive collection, there are other reasons for having Nvidia cards besides that, PhysX was just a bonus. If I were to buy a pair of cards now or in the next few weeks (which I'm not going to do) then they would be Nvidia cards simply because I would not have to replace the motherboard to take advantage of a dual card setup.
March 15, 2010 11:53:37 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Whilst bystander is totally correct in that I do have several PhysX enabled titles in my rather extensive collection, there are other reasons for having Nvidia cards besides that, PhysX was just a bonus. If I were to buy a pair of cards now or in the next few weeks (which I'm not going to do) then they would be Nvidia cards simply because I would not have to replace the motherboard to take advantage of a dual card setup.

So If i offered you two 5870s or two GTX 285s for free you would take the GTX 285s?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

(they are the same price)

I'm rapidly losing respect MouseMonkey.....

Also, are there any PhysX games other than Batman that don't blow?

March 16, 2010 12:01:57 AM

builderbobftw said:
So If i offered you two 5870s or two GTX 285s for free you would take the GTX 285s?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

(they are the same price)

I'm rapidly losing respect MouseMonkey.....

Then make the bona fida offer and see what happens, as it won't be my money that I'll be spending on the cards the decision making process may reflect the financial circumstance but as you are not likely to be serious why should I care whether you respect me or not because of a hypothetical offer?
March 16, 2010 12:03:27 AM

If you had a 800$ Newegg gift card, that had to be spent in the GPU section, and you had to spend it by March 25th or it expires, what would you buy?

Indulge me.
March 16, 2010 12:11:18 AM

builderbobftw said:
If you had a 800$ Newegg gift card, and you had to spend it by March 25th or it expires, what would you buy?

Indulge me.

As I'm in the UK it would be useless to me, but if I were to have the equivalent for spending here then I would spend it on an X58 board, an i7 CPU, a 900w PSU and if there were enough left an SSD then I would plug my 8800GT's in and wait to see what the second generation of Fermi and the HD 5 series turn out like.
March 16, 2010 1:07:20 AM

builderbobftw said:

Also, Lolz at anyone that pays money for a dedicated PhysX card.

Not that I should care what you think. I just thought I'd point out that the gts8800 dedicated physX card is an old card from my older computer. A lot of people actually have physX cards from older computers, as the 8800's were very good in their day.
March 16, 2010 2:26:43 AM

So do you think it pays to wait for the 470 and 480 to come out , to see if prices drop on the 5000 series? Do you think they will drop within the next 3 weeks or so after the release?
March 16, 2010 2:30:05 AM

Well, are you in any hurry? I don't see how waiting can hurt, and personally I enjoy researching new tech, even if I don't end up buying it. So I would wait (if I hadn't already bought a 5850 a few months back).
March 16, 2010 2:33:27 AM

Hmm...i have a 5850 and used my 9800gtx for physX...but then i realized that none of my games support phsX. I took in out, and now my 5850 idles at 20 C instead of 40 C :) . Anyways i don't think its worth the performance hit (and nothing really uses it O_o)
March 16, 2010 2:15:34 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Mousemonkey- This right here is the type of comment that is just going to stir up a flame war. You are a Mod- why would you say something like that? That is true of ATI fanboys, but the same is also true of Nvidia fanboys. Those of us who don't really care what brand it is, but rather what is the best perf. for the best price right now will NOT be saying that type of thing, even though currently, many of us are ATI users. Right now, there is really no reason to recommend an Nvidia card to someone because they are slower, more expensive, and older technology, unless someone HAS to have PhysX, Cuda, or has an SLI Mobo and wants a multi card setup. This is just a fact of the current market. I've even been recommending people to wait for Fermi to be released, even though that may not even have an effect, just so they can see whats their best option at that time.
Also- one of the things ATI has really been targeting lately (especially with the 4xxx series and on) is best price/performance (which they've done VERY well), so really, cost is a MAIN concern to many people who buy ATI.
Really what it comes down to is your post has no value in this thread, or any other because all it's going to do is stir up a flame war, and look whats happened to the thread since you posted. Once again- you are a Mod- you should know better.
March 16, 2010 4:19:31 PM

Mousemonkey is one of the biggest fanboy moderators :)  I guess everybody can say whos fanboy ;) 

And I really dont appreciate his sarcastic posts whenever someone posts something good about ati.

I guess everybody is biased at some level but as moderator he should be more toned down and try to keep his posts argumented.
March 16, 2010 4:44:00 PM

You are both entitled to your opinions just as I'm entitled to mine, what I find interesting about your reactions is the fact that it's not the same when a mod is pro ATi, why is that?
March 16, 2010 4:55:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You are both entitled to your opinions just as I'm entitled to mine, what I find interesting about your reactions is the fact that it's not the same when a mod is pro ATi, why is that?

Honestly MouseMonkey, If I noticed a Mod making that type of comment from the ATI side of things, I would have reacted the same way. I've not seen it, so I've not said it. Part of the issue right now I think is that most of the ATI-slanted people don't have to make that type of comment right now because ATI really is the best right now, but if Nvidia was in the lead with the best cards and best prices, then its more likely we'd see the opposite of this situation. I honestly have no problem with people being biased one way or the other- I'd just like to see a bit more restraint when it comes to comments likely to incite those slanting the other way when it doesn't particularly add to the thread in the first place.
March 16, 2010 5:01:30 PM

Well let me argument myself

TGGA is pro ATI, I can tell that he likes them probably more than nVidia. But he never posts anything without proof, link , arguments why he think so and reasonable conclusions.

I am also pro ATI, just because I hate dirty players and I think nVidia is a dirty player (although in a business world I understand them totally)

However I always try to not deny facts or conclusions. I try to not post sarcastic comments unless very fanboy ones or ones intended to offend.

I am sure if nVidia comes up with something great TGGA wont deny it either, I dont have time to dig into his posts about nVidia 8000 series which were one of the best generations for nVidia for all its history.

Every company have Ups and Downs and I really hope nVidia gets better as I will say it once more - ATI IS GAUGING prices now and I DONT LIKE IT. But thats because nVidia let them by failing to deliver. So please nVidia, release a GTX480 which is 20% faster than 5870 yet at $449 and a 470GTX which is equal to 5870 at $350 - then things are going to get interesting :) 

I enjoy fights and fights lead to progress and faster development. Let the next round begin...
March 16, 2010 5:54:38 PM

Dude, Nobody cares about "fair" or "ethical" practices. That doesn't exist in the tech world, and just buecuase Intell and Nvidia are getting called on them, doesn't mean that Nvdia is any less " fair" or "Ethical" than AMD. It just means ATI/AMD is better at hiding their underhand dealings and reverse engineering, with a cleverness that Nvidia and Intell can't match.

The only thing that matters is Price to Prefromance ratio, and to a lesser degree , the amount of features offered. I don't maind people favoring Card companies, I for example have a soft spot, for Nvidia, like MouseMonekey, I will always cheer for Nvidia.

But I can put my slight favoritism for Nvidia aside, and admit that ATI is the better buy right now (And buy ATI cards), In every possible way, and If you can't do that, then you are a RETARD.

ATI cards are better Price/Preformance RIGHT NOW.

ATI cards have better features RIGHT NOW.

(DX 11, lower power usage, Low thermal output)

ATI is the logical and correct way to go now.
March 16, 2010 6:51:02 PM

I agree with most of you right now that today would be an ATI day :)  for all the good reasons you all pointed out. And no i ain`t no fanboy of ATI.

My history with video cards: ATI rage (don`t remember the rest of it) then went to a Nvidia 4200 titanium followed by a evga 6600gt, then a BFG8800GTX (loved that one) and at the present moment running a HIS Ati Radeon 5850 (fitted my budget and i really wanted to try eyefinity)
For laptops i only had a ATI 9700 (loved this one) to a Nvidia 7600gt to a Nvidia 7300 (reason being i don`t game no more on my laptops and i got a good price out of my 7600gt one :) 
This being said i still can't wait for the new GTX 480 and 470 to come out !
March 16, 2010 7:16:55 PM

I've got a bad feeling about the GTX 4xx series... I mean, sure, chances are it can and will kick the crap out of the competition the week it's released, but you're going to pay one helluva price premium to get one. I'm fairly sure that getting the GTX480 will be like finding a system with 3-way 5970's.
The sad part is, that I'm also fairly sure that ATI will strike back with yet another series of cards, equivalent or maybe slightly better than the GTX480s, and will have it for slightly less money than Nvidia, kicking them back to second place. Maybe they'll add some form of 3d to their cards.
I don't know how they'll pull it off this time, but ATI always seems to have a plan up its sleeves to take back the lead :) 

Just my $0.02 on the topic...
March 16, 2010 8:41:04 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
I've got a bad feeling about the GTX 4xx series... I mean, sure, chances are it can and will kick the crap out of the competition the week it's released, but you're going to pay one helluva price premium to get one. I'm fairly sure that getting the GTX480 will be like finding a system with 3-way 5970's.
The sad part is, that I'm also fairly sure that ATI will strike back with yet another series of cards, equivalent or maybe slightly better than the GTX480s, and will have it for slightly less money than Nvidia, kicking them back to second place. Maybe they'll add some form of 3d to their cards.
I don't know how they'll pull it off this time, but ATI always seems to have a plan up its sleeves to take back the lead :) 

Just my $0.02 on the topic...

Yeh, like the HD 2900.

Oh, Wait.
!