Sign in with
Your question

Win7 x64 randomly reads ram

Last response: in Memory
December 9, 2010 7:29:38 AM

I just got my new rig up and running. Everything is good except windows randomly reads my ram. I have GSkill Ripjaw 3x4gb (12gb) 1333 DDR3 ram. Upon some restarts windows only sees 4gb of ram. Other times, it sees 8gb of ram and only once have I seen it showed the full 12gb of ram. Most of the time it stays at 4gb of ram.

I tested each ram individually and they all work fine. CPU-Z shows all 12gb is present. Also RAM limit is unchecked.

Specs:
Rampage III Formula
Latest BIOS v.0505
i7 980x
G. Skill Ripjaw triple channel 1333 3x4gb.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Win7 64bit
GTX580

I tried everything I can think of and appearantly it still reads what I have randomly. Anyone else seen this happen before?
a b } Memory
December 9, 2010 5:23:43 PM

Does your BIOS always read 12GB, even when Windows reports a different amount? Have you run memtest on all 3 DIMMs (installed at the same time)? Checking one at a time (as I am reading your message) wouldn't show a memory controller issue). Also, are you overclocking anything? If so, stop until this issue is resolved. Please clarify.
December 10, 2010 2:13:45 AM

COLGeek said:
Does your BIOS always read 12GB, even when Windows reports a different amount? Have you run memtest on all 3 DIMMs (installed at the same time)? Checking one at a time (as I am reading your message) wouldn't show a memory controller issue). Also, are you overclocking anything? If so, stop until this issue is resolved. Please clarify.

Thats whats really messed up. My BIOS randomly reads memory as well, AND it dont match up with windows. For example, two restarts ago BIOS read 8GB, but windows only saw 4gb. The previous restart BIOS sees 4GB, and windows sees 4GB. This time BIOS sees all 12GB, and windows only see 4gb.

Memtest checks out alright. I checked one at a time by installing only of the stick and running it, then swap it out to the next and then next. Then I put 2 in at a time, and did that, then the third. Windows always at least reads 4gb (well since it wouldnt even boot anyways if it reads no ram). I have ran memtest, and nothings wrong with them.

No overclocking has been done yet. I was going to OC today, but I couldnt get this fixed I figured I shouldnt over clock yet until this is resolved.
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 10, 2010 11:02:50 AM

I would recommend you exchange for another model, if possible.
December 10, 2010 4:26:45 PM

I really have given this a serious thought... Maybe the EVGA x58... But I really dont want to go through the hassle of the whole return and be without a computer again for however long it takes UPS to work.
a b } Memory
December 10, 2010 4:55:44 PM

Buy a new mobo and then return the defective one might be an option. But, whatever you do, don't keep a flaky board if under warranty. Good luck!
December 10, 2010 9:56:08 PM

I would if I had the money to.

Anyways, I'm posting around different fourms incase someone found something regarding a fix for this.
a b } Memory
December 11, 2010 2:55:07 AM

Quote:
are you doing any overclocking.?

+1 to malmental.

If you are OCing anything, reset to default and see if the system stabilizes, especially if you are trying to OC memory. I don't recommend OCing memory ever. The performance gains are marginal (at best) and often cause problems with overall system reliability.
December 11, 2010 10:09:17 AM

Quote:
are you doing any overclocking.?

Nope. I was planning to, but I dont want to until the existing problems are fixed.
December 11, 2010 6:19:12 PM

Quote:
any BIOS updates for you unit.?

Yup. Latest v.0505.
December 13, 2010 8:21:28 PM

Quote:
inspect your motherboard again, meaning pull RAM from slots and then carefully clean and inspect your RAM slots for firm, secure fit.
what's you power supply.?

PSU is Corsair HX1000W.

Just did it. I took my cpu out, inspected all pins, none bent. Installed the H70, using only 2 fingers to screw its tightness in a star pattern to ensure even and no over pressure on the cpu. I heard that might cause some issues with memory controller.

Pulled all the memory, checked for damage, put it all back in.

First restart: 8GB
Second restart: 4GB
Third restart: 4GB
Fourth restart: 12GB
Fifth restart: 8GB
This restart: 12GB
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 8:24:58 PM

RMA the board is your best bet. Swap for a different model if possible. I really don't see you resolving at this point.
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 9:02:33 PM

Quote:
^+1..
one last try is to reset BIOS and reset/clear CMOS and then try to boot again and see what it reads....
double check all power connections to motherboard, make sure they are correct and secure..
that's about it.
send it back..

^+1 to malmental's last suggestion. If still wonky after that, you really only have one recourse. Sorry for your hassles.
a c 347 } Memory
December 13, 2010 9:15:28 PM

1333 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.5v http://gskill.com/products.php?index=264

Q - Any Yellow or Red LEDs on {except the HDD}?
Q - What if any changes have you made to the BIOS {except SATA/Fan}?
Q - Any Q_LED lights on?

For now, have you 'tried' the MEMOK button on the MOBO?

BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner = {Auto}
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333 MHz
DRAM Timing Control = Enter Values 9-9-9-24
Timing Mode = 2N

DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.5~1.55v *
QPI/DRAM Voltage = 1.25~1.3v *

* Less is more, but the DIMM has to supply adequate power to the RAM; 4GB modules often need slightly more power to remain 'stable.'
a c 347 } Memory
December 13, 2010 9:40:02 PM

You did nothing wrong, the low voltage RAM 'should' work without the need of all those settings... The OP is using 3 DIMM config, but often the 4GB sticks are a 'pain' and frequently requires a BIOS upgrade; example look at the G.SKILL link ALL have a BIOS version. {the Rampage III Formula isn't listed ; before exchanging contact G.SKILL to find a Tested List}

Compare:
http://gskill.com/products.php?index=265 ; N/A
http://gskill.com/products.php?index=264 ; ALL w/BIOS updated

Since I do a lot of #X4GB builds even I need absolute confirmation before buying. Hence my picky 'a/k/a anal' attitude towards RAM.
December 13, 2010 10:32:32 PM

jaquith said:
1333 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.5v http://gskill.com/products.php?index=264

Q - Any Yellow or Red LEDs on {except the HDD}?
Q - What if any changes have you made to the BIOS {except SATA/Fan}?
Q - Any Q_LED lights on?

For now, have you 'tried' the MEMOK button on the MOBO?

BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner = {Auto}
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333 MHz
DRAM Timing Control = Enter Values 9-9-9-24
Timing Mode = 2N

* Less is more, but the DIMM has to supply adequate power to the RAM; 4GB modules often need slightly more power to remain 'stable.'

1. No yellow or red LED on.
2. Only change is hard setting the memory frequencies and voltage to the package specified. 1.5v, 9-9-9-24.
3. No.

I have tried MEMOK. Maybe I did that wrong? LED was flashing for a bit then turns off.
QPI/DRAM voltage has not been touched, will try right now.

I'm also surpried that Rampage III Formula is not on the supported list. Perhaps that might be the problem...
a c 347 } Memory
December 14, 2010 12:47:19 PM

Next, try the voltage changes and if that fails then contact G.SKILL. Frequently you'll see on BIOS updates 'Memory Compatibility' - most of those changes are XMP and in particular 4GB stick issues.

a b } Memory
December 15, 2010 10:19:51 PM

I've heard of this before. it can be caused by a bad socket or a badly seated CPU. Try reseating the CPU, and watch for pins in the socket that look different, like they're out of place.

If you have pins that are out of place, you might have to buy another motherboard. Manufacturers are difficult about replacing boards due to bent pins. they usually blame it on the user.
December 16, 2010 3:21:13 AM

dinoctane...i swear after reading your post, you must have had my newly built rig. I have EXACTLY ALL OF THE SAME PROBLEMS as you. Only differnce is my rig is using Corsiar Dominator GT RAM 1600 (2GBx6) and an HX750 power supply.

I've tried all the same things you have and come away with the same results as well.

So, at this point I was thinking to exchange the motherboard, processor, and memory for repplacements assumng one of the three is bad...but based on this forum i wonder if i should consider another motherboard?

any and all thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.
December 16, 2010 3:31:18 AM

...oh, and another weired thing is that although he BIOS and Windows continuously and synchronously report RAM values between 4GB to 12GBs (mostly 8GB in my case), CPUZ always reports 12GB no matter what. *sigh* ...its like my system is taunting me!
December 16, 2010 2:59:07 PM

coleygm said:
dinoctane...i swear after reading your post, you must have had my newly built rig. I have EXACTLY ALL OF THE SAME PROBLEMS as you. Only differnce is my rig is using Corsiar Dominator GT RAM 1600 (2GBx6) and an HX750 power supply.

I've tried all the same things you have and come away with the same results as well.

So, at this point I was thinking to exchange the motherboard, processor, and memory for repplacements assumng one of the three is bad...but based on this forum i wonder if i should consider another motherboard?

any and all thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

I just got an RMA yesterday with ASUS. If the new board is still giving me the same problem, I'm getting a refund and getting a EVGA X58 Classified. It actually came down to between those two boards when I was marking up the rig. I went with ASUS because I've had a long history with them. I hope its just a defective board.

Oh and whats funny is I was acutally going to go with the Dominator GT as well, but Newegg had a bundle deal for the Ripjaw so I went with that.
December 16, 2010 3:03:02 PM

jaquith said:
Next, try the voltage changes and if that fails then contact G.SKILL. Frequently you'll see on BIOS updates 'Memory Compatibility' - most of those changes are XMP and in particular 4GB stick issues.

Yup tried it, still the same problem. I called up ASUS and their techs pretty much went through the exact same steps this fourm told me to go through and at the end he suggested RMA time. Well, thats what I'll be waiting on and see how it goes. They should have recieved my RMA form yesterday and since its a rampage board, they're doing a cross ship for me so I can ship back after I get the new mobo.
a c 347 } Memory
December 16, 2010 3:27:32 PM

The Voltages were a last ditch effort; they're just slightly 'high' but nothing damaging or would create a 'new' unstable problem.

Please post back after you get the RMA.
December 16, 2010 3:37:21 PM

coleygm said:
...oh, and another weired thing is that although he BIOS and Windows continuously and synchronously report RAM values between 4GB to 12GBs (mostly 8GB in my case), CPUZ always reports 12GB no matter what. *sigh* ...its like my system is taunting me!

Yup. Same here.

Just out of curiosity, whats exactly in your rig?

Mine:
Obsidian 800D
H70 water cooler
Ripjaw 12GB
i7 980x
Rampage III Formula
HX1000W PSU
GTX580 (will get a 2nd one soon)
OCZ agility2 120GB
LiteOn DVD burner
2x WD Caviar black 500GB
1TB external HDD for archived stuff.
December 23, 2010 1:47:45 AM

So... I recieved the new board, set everything back up and.... problem is still there. At this point, its not the mobo's problem. I think the MOBO just dont support 12GB of rams. At least not on the QVL list. I went to G.Skill and checked out the memory I had, and it said it supported the older Rampage II series. I dont understand why it wouldnt support the III series if it supported the II. Anyhow, I'm being forced to go from a 3x4GB configuration to a 6X2GB configuration... Now I just got to find the right one to put it.

I wont go with the dominator GT since coleygm reported the same problem with corsair, so I'm either going to get OCZ or patriot.
December 24, 2010 9:08:11 PM

Well. Finally this issue is resolved. I just put in the Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Always reads 12GB no matter what. The problem ended up being simply Rampage III Formula not reading G.Skill Ripjaw Series memory correctly. Got a refund RMA for those in new egg and sending it out first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Thanks guys for all the help. I cant believe it was just something as simple as it not being supported by the mobo.
!