Airline power adapter for Compal/Toshiba 19 volt connector?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2004 2:20:23 AM

Has anyone seen an airline power adapter for Compal/Toshiba 19 volt
connector?

I tried 12 and then 6 months ago to get one - Targus sent me a bunch of
power tips to try - but no luck.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2004 4:22:05 PM

I had trouble with the Targus adaptors. Try IGO
http://www.igo.com/default.asp for your specific model.

If they don't have it you can get a car adaptor from Powerstream, then get
the EMpower to car adaptor for about $7.

http://www.powerstream.com/ADC-Toshiba.htm

"Richard Grossman" <rgrossmanDELETE-THIS-PART@techIII.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone seen an airline power adapter for Compal/Toshiba 19 volt
> connector?
>
> I tried 12 and then 6 months ago to get one - Targus sent me a bunch of
> power tips to try - but no luck.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2004 7:48:50 PM

There shouldn't be any problem with that. The Targus power supplies
with the number 24 tip should work.

[For Toshiba models with a 15 volt supply, the number 6 tip is used.]

Richard Grossman wrote:

> Has anyone seen an airline power adapter for Compal/Toshiba 19 volt
> connector?
>
> I tried 12 and then 6 months ago to get one - Targus sent me a bunch of
> power tips to try - but no luck.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2004 9:20:34 AM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:48:50 GMT, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com>
wrote:

:>There shouldn't be any problem with that. The Targus power supplies
:>with the number 24 tip should work.
:>
:>[For Toshiba models with a 15 volt supply, the number 6 tip is used.]
:>

However, you have to really watch out for the Compal P-Series. They
originally shipped with a 19V adapter that had the 15V size (#6) tip. This
led to 2 scenarios. If you accidentally plugged a 15V adapter into a
P-Series it wouldn't power up (no harm, no foul). However, if you plugged
the P-Series 19V adapter into a 15V Toshiba one of two things would happen.
On newer 15V models it would trip an auto-reset circuit breaker so all you
had to do was unplug the wrong adapter and plug in the correct one and you
were all set. The problem occured when you plugged the P-Series 19V adapter
into an older Toshiba 15V model. In most cases it would blow a fuse on the
system board (and sometimes more than just the fuse) leading to an expensive
repair, especailly if something else blew before the fuse did. This usually
required a full system board replacement.

Now, for the great solution from Toshiba/Compal. The latest P-Series models
use a 19V adapter with the #24 tip like the original Compal models so now
there are 19V adapters for the P-Series out there with 2 different tip sizes
depending on when the computer was built.

me/2

:>
:>Richard Grossman wrote:
:>
:>> Has anyone seen an airline power adapter for Compal/Toshiba 19 volt
:>> connector?
:>>
!