Next gen Intel CPU/sockets? vs 6 core

One of my friends has the option of either spending $500 on a next gen Intel CPU/socket when it comes out (sandy bridges?)
or
buying an i7 980x from another friend for $600-$700.

Should he buy the i7 980x now, or wait for sandy bridges to come out? Do you think sandy bridges will be much better than the i7 980x, about the same, etc?

high end sandy bridges >/~ i7 980x ?
medium end sandy bridges </~ i7 980x ?

I know we have no idea on the performance of future intel chips, but based on, say core2 to corei7 performance increase, what would be a good idea?

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
There's a wiki page on Sandy Bridge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Seems intel is going for more memory bandwidth, I don't know what 4x1600mhz will really do if were already not seeing much benefit from going above 3x1333mhz. It's wiki, so that might not be true.

The stock clocks are also higher then Nehelem, this could mean that we have even better overclockers coming. It even uses turbo mode to go to 3.8ghz! Hope that's true.

I would probably wait for the new arch since it will be a bigger leap then just a die shrink.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Well, if he's willing to wait for 6 months then it would be worth it. In fact, AMD's Bulldozer might put up good competition and keep prices low.

xaira

Distinguished
sandy was not cancelled, if sandy is cancelled then nehalem/westmere will have to continue, larabee was cancelled again, this like the third time, a high end sandy quad will smoke a 980x, but in the beginning they will start with mainstream, they should move to high end in q2 2011, still, i would spring for the 980x if its just $600

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
It seems that Sandy Bridge lost by about 10k points to the i7 975 in one test, but slightly beat it in the second. Is that due to the new AVX instruction set?
Seems bad that they're only going to match their older arch if the new instruction set isn't being used.

ya, but it's clocked at 2.5GHz, whereas the i7 975 is clocked at 3.33GHz - so performing worse in one and rivaling it in another despite a .83 GHz difference is pretty good.

leastat

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
has anyone else been hearing that Sandy Bridge based cpu may not be overclockable ? sounds like a ploy too make people spend the money too get high end and not low-mid and overclock

If Sandy gets canceled.. then we have to stop advising people to wait!!! :)

But i don't think it would be. Intel is heavily relying on it for boosting there sales before the Bulldozer come out. Earlier they get it out in the market, the better. The early head-start would boost its sales.

TRENDING THREADS