Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Budget gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 3, 2010 2:58:51 AM

Hello, Is it possible to build or buying a rig capable of handling napoleon total war for less than 500 no monitor needed. I also have a stock HP computer maybe 3 years old is it better to just upgrade the GPU and the ram? And how would I go about doing that (picking compatible card and installing ?
Thanks for all the help

More about : budget gaming

April 4, 2010 4:03:56 AM

Please tell us the exact model # of your current computer.

Yes .. we can build an AMD gamer (lower-rez) for $500 ... but $650 would give us a lot more leeway with your core and GPU ... The real difference would be a one full series jump in graphics and faster Ram and a Cooler ... Motherboards vary widely in price and it just depends on if you want SATA-III and USB3.0 ports, etc.

Napolean ??

Napoleon Total war has reasonable requirements, which is only to be expected considering it is built on Empire Total War's engine.

The biggest surprise is the 4GB RAM recommended requirement on Vista/7. God bless XP, how we miss your sleek ways

Minimum:
o OS:Microsoft® Windows Vista®/XP®/Windows® 7
o Processor: 2.3 GHz CPU with SSE2
o Memory: 1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista®/Windows® 7)
o Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c shader model 2b compatible GPU
o DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
o Hard Drive: 15 GB free space

Recommended:
o OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista®/XP®/Windows® 7
o Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual Core CPU
o Memory: 2 GB RAM (XP), 4 GB RAM (Vista®/Windows® 7)
o Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c shader model 3 compatible GPU
o DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
o Hard Drive: 15 GB free space



April 4, 2010 4:08:24 AM


From the OFFICIAL game site:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901162/

System Requirements
Minimum:

OS:Microsoft® Windows Vista®/XP®/Windows® 7
Processor: 2.3 GHz CPU with SSE2
Memory: 1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista®/Windows® 7)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c shader model 2b compatible GPU
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 21 GB free space


Recommended:

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista®/XP®/Windows® 7
Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2 GB RAM (XP), 4 GB RAM (Vista®/Windows® 7)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c shader model 3 compatible GPU
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 21 GB free space


© SEGA. The Creative Assembly, Total War, Napoleon: Total War and the Total War logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of The Creative Assembly Limited. SEGA and the SEGA logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Corporation. All rights reserved.
Related resources
April 5, 2010 2:32:31 AM

Alvin Smith said:
From the OFFICIAL game site:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901162/

System Requirements
Minimum:

OS:Microsoft® Windows Vista®/XP®/Windows® 7
Processor: 2.3 GHz CPU with SSE2
Memory: 1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista®/Windows® 7)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c shader model 2b compatible GPU
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 21 GB free space


Recommended:

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista®/XP®/Windows® 7
Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2 GB RAM (XP), 4 GB RAM (Vista®/Windows® 7)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c shader model 3 compatible GPU
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 21 GB free space


© SEGA. The Creative Assembly, Total War, Napoleon: Total War and the Total War logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of The Creative Assembly Limited. SEGA and the SEGA logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Corporation. All rights reserved.



My computer is a stock HP pavilion A1000 can this be saved? I would love to save the money and just upgrade a few things. adding a GPU? What can you recommend?
April 5, 2010 3:29:27 AM

No it cannot be saved, sorry.

This is what I just did for some one a minute ago.



Good quality case with 4 USB / audio fire wire etc on the top with good cooling and looks nice.

Has a 4850 which can max out that game at a lower resolution.

One of the best processors for builds under $800, it also has a 700W psu so you can upgrade the video card in the future if you have the $$$. It's also modular =)

*EDIT* Good idea alv, snip ahead =)
April 5, 2010 4:39:49 AM

Actually ... I'm just going to GUESS that a 5750 would handle THIS game at a full hi-rez 1080/1200P ... so you might save there ...

... but ... (BIG BUT) ... the 5850 would be MUCH MORE PRUDENT FOR YOUR VARIED AND FUTURE NEEDS !!

= Al =
April 5, 2010 5:01:51 AM

Quote:
The 4850 performs better then the 5750 =)


T O T A L L Y

. . . . M Y . . . B A D ! ! !

. . . I misread .... Completely thot you had spec'd a 5850 ... ! ?? ! . . .

... 4850 makes Purrrr-Fect sense ! ! ! ... I think you *KNOW* (now) that I was just hoping to back him way off the 5850 without stepping on your toes (too badly) ...

... Fact is ... even the 4850 is prolly more than is absolutely needed for a relatively static strategy game, such as "this one".


Maybe I/WE should just go back and delete/snip everything from where I first mentionned 58xx/57xx ... to avoid some really stupid confusion ?

= Al = I will if you will ... delete.
April 5, 2010 7:04:19 AM

jmfranklin164 said:
Hello, Is it possible to build or buying a rig capable of handling napoleon total war for less than 500 no monitor needed. I also have a stock HP computer maybe 3 years old is it better to just upgrade the GPU and the ram? And how would I go about doing that (picking compatible card and installing ?
Thanks for all the help


A lot like what whitefang posted but skimped some prices to make it $513 after tax and shipping. Should work well for you at low resolutions and meets your $500 price range.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Supply and Optic Drive combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
April 5, 2010 4:45:44 PM

korinu said:
A lot like what whitefang posted but skimped some prices to make it $513 after tax and shipping. Should work well for you at low resolutions and meets your $500 price range.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Supply and Optic Drive combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


All you did is change the CPU and HD to much worst components and added $1 to the total price over mine.
April 5, 2010 6:29:30 PM

whitefang said:
All you did is change the CPU and HD to much worst components and added $1 to the total price over mine.


Agreed ... (Just suckin' up to "The Fang", here ... but mostly because he is completely correct).

And, P.U. ! ... Does that HDD stink !

= Try Again =

April 6, 2010 12:56:29 AM

whitefang said:
All you did is change the CPU and HD to much worst components and added $1 to the total price over mine.



Well yes I'm aware of this, as i said, but he asked for less than $500 and you gave him a subtotal i gave him a grand total after tax and shipping. No offense but what's the point of a subtotal? He wanted $500 but that will include tax and shipping. So after he adds all your build to his cart and than gets $550ish that's a little disappointing. I also changed it to a 500W PSU because i don't think he will really need a 700W. Also at that budget ask anyone to put together a computer and most parts are going to be the same. All i intended to do was lower the price to make it into his range.
April 6, 2010 2:19:04 AM

korinu said:
Well yes I'm aware of this, as i said, but he asked for less than $500 and you gave him a subtotal i gave him a grand total after tax and shipping. No offense but what's the point of a subtotal? He wanted $500 but that will include tax and shipping. So after he adds all your build to his cart and than gets $550ish that's a little disappointing. I also changed it to a 500W PSU because i don't think he will really need a 700W. Also at that budget ask anyone to put together a computer and most parts are going to be the same. All i intended to do was lower the price to make it into his range.



Well ... I guess I'm gonna be "the bad guy", here, and tell OP to save up and do himself more justly.

$650? ... MUCHO MAS BUENO ! ! !

= Al = I know this "breaks the rules" but sometimes the rules just plain suck.


April 6, 2010 3:10:36 AM

Alvin Smith said:
Well ... I guess I'm gonna be "the bad guy", here, and tell OP to save up and do himself more justly.

$650? ... MUCHO MAS BUENO ! ! !

= Al = I know this "breaks the rules" but sometimes the rules just plain suck.



Heavily agree.
If you can hold out for a little and bring your budget up to $650 or a little higher it will pay off and save you from expensive upgrades in the future. Get yourself a nicer amd processor, AMD Phenom II X2 555 maybe, and a better graphics card.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (could find cheaper if you need)

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU & Graphics card combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Power Supply and Optic drive combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

After tax and shipping it's $686.82 and personally I'd love to run this system. Case, RAM, power supply, and optic drive are the same cause you wont really need better unless you want a nicer looking case for maybe $20-$30 more. More stable motherboard and much better CPU with a pretty decent graphics card. I use a 5770 and i love it, runs beautifully. Also unless you plan on Crossfire x (2 graphics cards at once), overclocking, or unlocking the extra cores on the CPU you shouldn't really need over a 500W power supply.
April 6, 2010 4:24:29 AM

.. Well ... I could get you WAY better RAM and a faster HDD for $18 more but this is the way to go ... By the time you can choke up the $650 the build (above) will prolly cost "that much" (like in 6 weeks).

= Al = The is a budget so low that you actually "hurt yersef" ... You are there.

April 6, 2010 4:35:09 AM

Korinu,

?here is the (WAY BETTER) HDD and I/We would appreciate if you incorporate into all your budget builds ... for the customer's sake alone !

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And ... Here is a RAM kit for Phenom-II Black Edition Procs . . . Especially OCers !

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is the best value Air Cooler (on planet) for either AMD/AM3 or INTEL/1156 . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memorize and "get used to it" ... You will see these over and over again ... good reason!

= Al = You will see such "Trends" in cases value too ... Search HAF-922 or Antec 300.

April 6, 2010 5:30:43 AM

Alvin Smith said:
Korinu,

?here is the (WAY BETTER) HDD and I/We would appreciate if you incorporate into all your budget builds ... for the customer's sake alone !

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And ... Here is a RAM kit for Phenom-II Black Edition Procs . . . Especially OCers !

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is the best value Air Cooler (on planet) for either AMD/AM3 or INTEL/1156 . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memorize and "get used to it" ... You will see these over and over again ... good reason!

= Al = You will see such "Trends" in cases value too ... Search HAF-922 or Antec 300.


Thank you and will do. I don't know to much about hard drives so i just recommended the HDD i have, which works well for me.

Yes if you can spare the extra money Ripjaw series RAM is wonderful i use it as well and no problems.

And yes the Hyper 212 Plus is wonderful but not really necessary unless overclocking is planned.


April 6, 2010 5:54:48 AM

korinu said:
Heavily agree.
If you can hold out for a little and bring your budget up to $650 or a little higher it will pay off and save you from expensive upgrades in the future. Get yourself a nicer amd processor, AMD Phenom II X2 555 maybe, and a better graphics card.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (could find cheaper if you need)

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU & Graphics card combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Power Supply and Optic drive combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

After tax and shipping it's $686.82 and personally I'd love to run this system. Case, RAM, power supply, and optic drive are the same cause you wont really need better unless you want a nicer looking case for maybe $20-$30 more. More stable motherboard and much better CPU with a pretty decent graphics card. I use a 5770 and i love it, runs beautifully. Also unless you plan on Crossfire x (2 graphics cards at once), overclocking, or unlocking the extra cores on the CPU you shouldn't really need over a 500W power supply.


Here's a much better build for that price.



$672 after shipping.
!