Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows XP fail - Upgraded CPU

Last response: in CPUs
June 13, 2010 2:16:19 AM

So i just upgraded my processor and tried to startup Windows and i get stuck on the loading screen every time unless i start up into Windows Safe Mode.

I'm coming from a mac so i have no clue where to begin debugging for this problem as there is no error to check out or reference. Thanks in advance!

Edit:
Socket A motherboard
Going from AMD Athlon XP 2200 to 3200
June 13, 2010 3:23:49 AM

Try putting the XP cd in, boot to recovery console and type in "chkdsk c: /f" without the quotes.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2010 3:48:56 AM

This drives me nuts. People have a problem and they provide almost no useful info. You didn't even tell us what processor you upgraded to or what it replaced.
m
l
Related resources
a c 471 à CPUs
June 13, 2010 12:12:15 PM

Is the new CPU compatible with the motherboard?

Meaning is it properly recognized by the BIOS?
m
l
June 13, 2010 6:02:08 PM

Yes, both processors are Socket A which is compatible with the motherboard. After POST, the name of the processor is displayed briefly before windows is loaded

Another note, just before the loading screen hangs, i hear a small pop on the speakers every time, as if i was just turning on the computer.

Chkdsk did not find any errors

Since Safe Boot worked, i tried to startup in diagnostic startup but that fails too... how can i find out what is loading up in Diagnostic Startup that is not loading up in Safe Boot?
m
l

Best solution

June 14, 2010 7:07:03 AM

Does event viewer logs show any errors?
June 15, 2010 2:05:16 AM

BWMerlin said:
Does event viewer logs show any errors?

ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 0 function 1
which did not seem too crucial after a quick google search

a setuperr.log during my recent attempt to reinstall

DCOM error unable to start up in Safe Mode

Service Control Manager - the following boot-start or system start drivers failed to load: AmdK7, Fips
m
l
June 15, 2010 5:40:12 AM

So i still don't know how it happened and how the processor install was related, but i uninstalled all the ATI drivers for my Radeon HD 2600 PRO (AGP) graphics card and the system will now boot up.

Now every time i try to install drivers, it hangs again. But it looks like the graphics card driver was at fault. Also i found that my 2nd memory stick was going bad in the process!

Thanks for all the help guys!
m
l
June 27, 2010 3:08:45 AM

Best answer selected by chicknfood.
m
l
!