Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New PC!

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2010 3:19:17 AM

Hello guys, since this is my first post, i wanna thank all the replies on it ;) 
I don't speak english so well, but i hope you'll understand me. :bounce: 
I'm planning to build my own pc, and this is what i got in mind:

Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8Ghz (1)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD7 (1)
RAM: G.SKILL DDR3-2000 6GB (3x2gb) 6-9-6-24-2N Triple Channel (2)
Video Card: XFX Ati Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition (1)
SSD: Kingston Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB (1)
Storage Hard Drive: SATA-2 WD VelociRaptor 300Gb (1)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 (1)
Power Supply: Corsair TX 1000HX (1)

I wanna hear all kind of opinions about change the components.

Here are my questions:

Thanks to all of you :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 

More about : question

April 3, 2010 3:51:53 AM

Looks like you have a lot of money, huh??? What kind of work will you do to buy such system? But anyway,,

1 - i7 920 is way cheaper than 975, and it is also much slower. You cannot overclock it to 975. But for me, 975 is not worth the money - I'm buying an 860 for my new system, and I'm sure it will be more than enough.

2 - If you have money, you should consider OSZ or Corsair RAM - they are better than Kingston.

3 - I didn't get what you mean - you wanted to buy four 5970s?? Well, that,s ridiculous. One of them is enough, two - more than enough. If you want a super-fast video, you can buy two 5970s, but you will need about 1200W PSU

4 - Don't know about it.

5 - There are a few HDDs that support SATA 3. You can buy one, but they are expensive and, as I heard, not very good. However, you should definitely buy a Sata 3 mobo - this technology will develop, ans I'm sure, soon Sata 3 drives will be cheap and fast.

6 - Yes, if you are planning one 5970. If two or more - no, 1000W is not enough.
m
l
April 3, 2010 4:43:48 AM

serous-2010 said:
Looks like you have a lot of money, huh??? What kind of work will you do to buy such system? But anyway,,

1 - i7 920 is way cheaper than 975, and it is also much slower. You cannot overclock it to 975. But for me, 975 is not worth the money - I'm buying an 860 for my new system, and I'm sure it will be more than enough.

2 - If you have money, you should consider OSZ or Corsair RAM - they are better than Kingston.

3 - I didn't get what you mean - you wanted to buy four 5970s?? Well, that,s ridiculous. One of them is enough, two - more than enough. If you want a super-fast video, you can buy two 5970s, but you will need about 1200W PSU

4 - Don't know about it.

5 - There are a few HDDs that support SATA 3. You can buy one, but they are expensive and, as I heard, not very good. However, you should definitely buy a Sata 3 mobo - this technology will develop, ans I'm sure, soon Sata 3 drives will be cheap and fast.

6 - Yes, if you are planning one 5970. If two or more - no, 1000W is not enough.

Thank for your reply:

1.- Why it can be overclocked to 975?
2.- Ok, i'll think about OCZ or Corsair, what about G-skill?
3.- No, i mean, with two 5970s there are four GPUs, so it will be quad-crossfirex (?), i saw on benchmarks that 2 5970s beats 1 5970 only at highs resolutions.
4.- :( 
5.- Ok, thanks
6.- I think i will buy just one 5970.

PD: I'm an enthusiastic gamer :)  :) 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 3, 2010 5:10:08 AM

Don't go for OCZ, they are known to have too high of voltage for a lot of motherboards.

Any ram brand will work, kingston is considered one of the cheaper brands. A-data, Corsair, G.skill are all good brands.

Stick with 1 5970, it's not worth throwing that much money at a second one, save that money and buy better single GPU solution later down the road.
m
l
April 3, 2010 5:32:20 AM

alejostone said:
Thank for your reply:

1.- Why it can be overclocked to 975?
2.- Ok, i'll think about OCZ or Corsair, what about G-skill?
3.- No, i mean, with two 5970s there are four GPUs, so it will be quad-crossfirex (?), i saw on benchmarks that 2 5970s beats 1 5970 only at highs resolutions.
4.- :( 
5.- Ok, thanks
6.- I think i will buy just one 5970.

PD: I'm an enthusiastic gamer :)  :) 

It cannot be overclocked - the differemce between them too is huge. But if you are a gamer, go with a 920 or 930 - they cost much less, and there is a sale in microcenter, so you can buy one of those for just 200 bucks (if you live in the US)

G-skill is also a great RAM. I'm bying it for my new system. However, it is still considered middle-class. If you want great perfomance and you have money - Corsair is for you. If you still want good perfomance, and for less money - G.skill. Just don't buy Kingston.

You are right, one 5970 will be enough. Two of them show greater perfomance, but by price/quality one is much better.
m
l
April 3, 2010 7:38:36 AM

Thank you for your replies :na: 

Ok, it's decided, i'll search for Corsair memories and i'll get just one 5970.
What Corsair do you recomend for this mobo, to have 2 triple channel (6 ram)?
I've seen some videos on youtube, about guys overclocking their 920 to 4.5Ghz, even 5.
Then why can't 920 be overclocked? :sweat: 
m
l
April 3, 2010 9:01:30 AM

a 920 cant clock as high as the 975

but i find it hard to suggest more then the i7 960 for a high budget build
m
l
April 3, 2010 1:57:17 PM

alejostone said:

I've seen some videos on youtube, about guys overclocking their 920 to 4.5Ghz, even 5.
Then why can't 920 be overclocked? :sweat: 

Yes, I've seen them too. However, those guys are professionals. They overclock a lot. And did you see the cooling systems that they install to keep the CPU cool? It's not just liquid, it's nitrogen - and I'm sure, they cost a lot. And after all, believe me - you don't need more than 930. Not for gaming and not with a 5970.
m
l
April 3, 2010 2:21:18 PM

good system
hx1000
i7 960
gigabyte x58 ud7
munshkin redline 6-8-6-24 1600 mhz (3x2gb)
haf 932
ati 5970
kingston ssd
wetern digital 1tb 6gb/s
noctua ud14 cooler

thats as high as i'll reccomend for a high end system
m
l
April 3, 2010 2:22:25 PM

Thanks for the new replies :bounce: 
I'm thinking in liquid cooling because of the noise :??: 
I'll update the first post thanks to you guys :sol: 
Keep the good work, thanks :D 
m
l
April 3, 2010 2:25:20 PM

alejostone said:

If you have money, I can recommend Corsair Dominator - they are fast, but expensive. Check this out - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) And if you are really planning to overclock a lot, Dominators can be cooled by their special fans.. Of course, this is not the only option.
m
l
April 3, 2010 2:31:48 PM

serous-2010 said:
If you have money, I can recommend Corsair Dominator - they are fast, but expensive. Check this out - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) And if you are really planning to overclock a lot, Dominators can be cooled by their special fans.. Of course, this is not the only option.

What is more important, the Mhzs or the CL?
Which is the fastest speed for my mobo?
Which do i'm i supposed to select, Dominator or Dominator GT?
m
l
April 3, 2010 2:34:30 PM

liqiud cooling is hard if you dont understand it
m
l
April 3, 2010 3:39:42 PM

alejostone said:
Hey, good videos, it's doesn't look hard but i expected lower temperaturas, i think i will stay with the fan system ;) 

That's the right decision. However, if you will overclock a lot - buy Liquid CS. If you are not overclocking - go with fans.
m
l
April 3, 2010 3:46:50 PM

the noctua ud14,the thermalright and,prolimatech heatsinks can handle 4ghz on an i7 comfortably
m
l
April 3, 2010 4:30:23 PM

Ok, one more thing:

What is PhysX and if it really improve gameplay
m
l
April 3, 2010 9:30:01 PM

Physx is only for Nvidia cards and helps Physics in games. Like when you shoot a barrel it will roll down more Realistically
m
l
April 3, 2010 10:01:26 PM

Quote:

Ummmm WHAT?!?!?

m
l
April 3, 2010 10:02:06 PM

I've heard a lot about PhysX. This is the main reason why Nvidia still exists. Gamers buy GPUs with PhysX, although it's used in only 16 games, and most of them are not popular. However, people say that once you play with PhysX, you cannot play without it. I've never played with it, and don't want to.
m
l

Best solution

April 3, 2010 10:03:56 PM

Fail. The Thermaltake stuff for water cooling are a joke. They are low quality and break very easily. DON'T EVER recommend them again.

@OP:
If you REALLY want watercooling:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256607-29-watercoolin...

Also, the Kingston SSD V+ Now is not really a good choice as an OS drive: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3618/intel-x25v-in-raid0-...

With your budget, I'd get the Intel X25-M G2.
April 3, 2010 10:07:01 PM

serous-2010 said:
I've heard a lot about PhysX. This is the main reason why Nvidia still exists. Gamers buy GPUs with PhysX, although it's used in only 16 games, and most of them are not popular. However, people say that once you play with PhysX, you cannot play without it. I've never played with it, and don't want to.

Umm... most gamers DON'T care for PhysX. They care about price vs. performance.

As for people who say PhysX makes a difference that depends on the rest of their hardware,the game engine,etc.
m
l
April 3, 2010 10:15:42 PM

alejostone said:
What is more important, the Mhzs or the CL?
Which is the fastest speed for my mobo?
Which do i'm i supposed to select, Dominator or Dominator GT?

Neither. The Dominators only matter when you start to really OC your CPU, aka under LN2/Dice/Water for breaking records. As for speed vs latency, it doesn't matter in real life.

I'd pick up some Gskill Ripjaws.
m
l
April 4, 2010 3:44:30 AM

For ram I would go for 6gb g.skill pi:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In my opinion, serous-2010 may have screwed with the top part of the thread.
And the i7 930 can clock every bit as well as a i7 960 as they are the exact same chip, not even an unlocked multiplier on the i7 960.
m
l
April 4, 2010 3:59:41 AM

serous-2010 said:

4 - Don't know about it.

You seem to be rather misled. An i7-920/930 is much cheaper than a 975, but it is not much slower. A 920 can easily be OC'ed past stock 975 clocks. The appeal of the 975 is the unlocked multiplier -- something only genuine enthusiasts would be able to take advantage of, with nitrogen-cooled systems and such. For traditional air-cooled and water-cooled systems, the difference between OC'ed 920 and 975 clocks would be about the same as the difference between stock clocks.
Secondly, why is everyone so skeptical of Kingston RAM? From my experience, Kingston is one the better RAM brands. Its HyperX series is superior to Corsair's XMS series, while comparable in price. Similarly, its HyperX T1 series is superior to Corsair's Dominator series, again comparable in price. OCZ can't even compare, considering most of its sets only work with a limited number of motherboards. If you've ever read customer reviews on OCZ RAM, the majority of the often numerous (depending on the model) complaints are due to compatibility issues. Yes, OCZ has a few commendable models, but overall OCZ is not a great brand for RAM. TBH, the only brand I would recommend over Kingston for RAM is G.Skill, for its unbeatable strength from a value standpoint.
Lastly, I didn't see any mention of Alejostone's resolution, so I don't see how you could comment on graphics card choice. A lot of people come to the forums thinking a 5850 is insufficient for a res of 1920x1080, or that it's sufficient for 5760x2400, etc. You can't assume they know what they're talking about. (Nothing personal, Alejostone. :p )

BTW, Alejostone, if I were you, I'd take Shadow's advice on the SSD, water-cooling, and RAM.
m
l
April 4, 2010 4:10:46 AM

+1 for SSD, i7 920 or 930(if your near microcenter), for non professional overclocks all the i7 series will OC to about the same depending on the luck of your chip.
m
l
April 4, 2010 1:05:23 PM

Thank you all for your advices, check again my first post :D  :D 
What about cory1234's suggestion, an ASUS Rampage II Extreme would be better? :ouch: 
And what about the power supply, does it exceeds the requirements?
m
l
April 4, 2010 4:50:58 PM

blackjellognomes said:
You seem to be rather misled. An i7-920/930 is much cheaper than a 975, but it is not much slower. A 920 can easily be OC'ed past stock 975 clocks. The appeal of the 975 is the unlocked multiplier -- something only genuine enthusiasts would be able to take advantage of, with nitrogen-cooled systems and such. For traditional air-cooled and water-cooled systems, the difference between OC'ed 920 and 975 clocks would be about the same as the difference between stock clocks.
Secondly, why is everyone so skeptical of Kingston RAM? From my experience, Kingston is one the better RAM brands. Its HyperX series is superior to Corsair's XMS series, while comparable in price. Similarly, its HyperX T1 series is superior to Corsair's Dominator series, again comparable in price. OCZ can't even compare, considering most of its sets only work with a limited number of motherboards. If you've ever read customer reviews on OCZ RAM, the majority of the often numerous (depending on the model) complaints are due to compatibility issues. Yes, OCZ has a few commendable models, but overall OCZ is not a great brand for RAM. TBH, the only brand I would recommend over Kingston for RAM is G.Skill, for its unbeatable strength from a value standpoint.
Lastly, I didn't see any mention of Alejostone's resolution, so I don't see how you could comment on graphics card choice. A lot of people come to the forums thinking a 5850 is insufficient for a res of 1920x1080, or that it's sufficient for 5760x2400, etc. You can't assume they know what they're talking about. (Nothing personal, Alejostone. :p )

BTW, Alejostone, if I were you, I'd take Shadow's advice on the SSD, water-cooling, and RAM.

Amen. Well said. +1. IIRC, only Kingston and Geil put their high end and server RAM through a good burn in test. And yes, the Gskills can't really be touched from a price vs. performance stand point imo.

edit found it: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/geil-ram-ddr-memory,80...
m
l
April 5, 2010 2:24:25 AM

Just saw the P55-UD6 of gigabyte, what about it?
m
l
April 5, 2010 11:01:49 PM

^ You can't use a P55 board with a LGA1366 CPU. As for the RAMPAGE II, it's an insane board and an overkill for you.
m
l
April 6, 2010 3:30:22 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ You can't use a P55 board with a LGA1366 CPU. As for the RAMPAGE II, it's an insane board and an overkill for you.

:o  Why?
m
l
April 6, 2010 3:29:45 PM

alejostone said:
:o  Why?

Why what? Why can't you use a P55 board with a i7 930? Did you ever consider that it's impossible to fit a CPU with 1366 pins/pads to a board with only 1156?
m
l
April 7, 2010 2:35:11 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Why what? Why can't you use a P55 board with a i7 930? Did you ever consider that it's impossible to fit a CPU with 1366 pins/pads to a board with only 1156?

Not that, lmao
The overkill thing ^^
m
l
April 7, 2010 1:51:41 PM

Well unless you plan to really do Tri SLI,etc and some insane OCing, it's too much money for that board.
m
l
April 7, 2010 4:04:57 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Well unless you plan to really do Tri SLI,etc and some insane OCing, it's too much money for that board.

Ok, got it, thanks :bounce: 
Now i have a budget :(  (my parents)

I'm planning to buy the new phenom II x6 (when release), i know that i'm not gonna use the 6 cores for gaming, but i want to keep this new pc for more than 6 months, and i'll wait for the radeon 6000
Thank you all guys, i apreciate that :hello: 
m
l
April 7, 2010 4:05:34 PM

Best answer selected by Alejostone.
m
l
April 8, 2010 4:36:14 AM

serous-2010 said:
Yes, I've seen them too. However, those guys are professionals. They overclock a lot. And did you see the cooling systems that they install to keep the CPU cool? It's not just liquid, it's nitrogen - and I'm sure, they cost a lot. And after all, believe me - you don't need more than 930. Not for gaming and not with a 5970.

About i7-920 overclocking: the 920 can be SAFELY oc'd to 4GHz with a Corsair H50 water cooler on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 mobo. See Gigabyte Technical Marketing's "Core i7 920 Overclocking Tutorial--Push your i7-920 to 4GH" at: http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/Core%20i7%20920%2...(ENG).pdf.

As for multiple 5970's, better put your money into a top-end monitor, like Dell's U2711 (2560x1440), which is the LG screen that Mac uses on it's iMac 27". Yes, you really can get a Mac display on your PC (without the OS, of course). Try gaming on this baby, it's unbelievable for everything except extreme frame rates. It's "prosumer" grade, which means between consumer and professional. It goes for about $1100USD now.
m
l
!