Sign in with
Your question

Powering Up Issues

Last response: in Components
June 13, 2010 2:25:41 AM

The PC is about 4 years old. It has never had any related problems. If the PC is powered off and then powered on, it sometimes will not turn on. I have to switch the power cord plug between a surge protector and a wall socket. It's safe to say this issue is getting worse, it has been doing this off an on for a week or two.

Any ideas?

More about : powering issues

June 13, 2010 2:31:02 AM

First thing that comes to mind is a power supply issue...

specs of your pc?
m
l
June 13, 2010 2:38:42 AM

Yeah, it just sounds like a persnickety power supply. If you could list specs of your PC, we can recommend a power supply you should use to replace it.
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2010 2:52:31 PM

ASUS A8S-X
SOCKET 939
24-PIN
CURRENTLY USING ULTRA 350W V-SERIES PSU
WINDOWS XP
AMD 2200 MHZ

NEED ANYTHING ELSE?

m
l
June 13, 2010 3:26:36 PM

You say the system was running fine for however many years... did you recently install some new hardware??

Are you using the PCI express 16 slot on that motherboard? is it a videocard?

I did a little research on your power supply but i couldn't get the specs from ulta website, it looks like they may have stopped making it.

Just curious, did you build the dekstop in question yourself or did you buy it?

Also.. you don't want your whole system getting fried because you wouldn't shell out 60$ for a new PSU... and your intermittent power problems could be a sign that yours is reaching the end of its like.

Cheap PSUs like to take other stuff with them when they go (motherboard, etc...)
So if it was me i would not use that PC til i got a new power supply...

m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2010 6:19:09 PM

Yup, PSU might be dying (4 years), it's getting old, plus i guess this PSU is a cheap one, right?
What about your graphic card? what is it?
m
l
June 14, 2010 2:04:56 PM

needsumhelplol said:
You say the system was running fine for however many years... did you recently install some new hardware??

Are you using the PCI express 16 slot on that motherboard? is it a videocard?

I did a little research on your power supply but i couldn't get the specs from ulta website, it looks like they may have stopped making it.

Just curious, did you build the dekstop in question yourself or did you buy it?

Also.. you don't want your whole system getting fried because you wouldn't shell out 60$ for a new PSU... and your intermittent power problems could be a sign that yours is reaching the end of its like.

Cheap PSUs like to take other stuff with them when they go (motherboard, etc...)
So if it was me i would not use that PC til i got a new power supply...

1. Nope
2. Not sure
3. Specs on power supply:

AC INPUT 115V/230V - 60/50Hz
DC OUTPUT +3.3V +5V +12V +12V -12V -5V +5VSB
350W Max
Combined
Watts 18A 25A 18A - 0.6A 0.6A 2A
350W

Connectors

20+4 pin 8-pin P4 MB SATA Peripheral FDD PCI-E
x 1 x 0 x 1 x 2 x 8 x 2 x 1

Features

Supports AMD and Intel Motherboards
Low Acoustic Noise
Meets ATX Version 2.03 and ATX 12V Version 1.2 Specifications
Short Circuit Protection
In-Rush Current Protection
Thermal Overload Cutoff Protection MTBF > 100,000 Hours at Full Load, 110VAC and 25°C Ambient Condition
FCC and UL Recognized

4. I built it myself, but it came as a barebone kit with some upgrades. I have defenitly got my money out of this PC. I am considering building/buying a new PC.

5. Ok good to know that it could possibly damage other hardware. I will call TigerDirect and see what they have to offer. Do you suggest buying through a specfic seller?

wa1 said:
Yup, PSU might be dying (4 years), it's getting old, plus i guess this PSU is a cheap one, right?
What about your graphic card? what is it?

1. It was only $25, but it came with a barebone kit I purchased.

2. Graphic card specs:
GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6500
Video Memory: 128MB
Supporting 256MB
TurboCache
Memory Type: 64-bit
GDDR2
Memory Bandwidth: 13.3GB/sec.
NVIDIA® TurboCache™ Technology
Shares the capacity and bandwidth of dedicated video memory and dynamically available system memory
for turbocharged performance and larger total graphics memory.
nView™ Multi-Display Technology
The nView hardware and software technology combination delivers maximum flexibility for multi-display
options, and provides unprecedented end-user control of the desktop experience.
Digital Vibrance Control 3.0
Allows the user to adjust color controls digitally to compensate for the lighting conditions of their workspace, in order to achieve accurate, bright colors in all conditions.
OpenGL™ 1.5 Optimizations and Support
Ensure top-notch compatibility and performance for all OpenGL applications.
PCI Express Support
PCI Express is a new Intel bus architecture that doubles the bandwidth of the AGP 8X bus, delivering over 4 GB per second in both upstream and downstream data transfers
($45)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2010 2:48:11 PM

have a spare PSU? just to make sure whether the problem is PSU...
m
l
!