Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fan Error Message, But Fans Seem to Work Well

Last response: in Overclocking
February 18, 2013 3:57:30 PM

I have a Lenovo 3000 J Series and I often get a Fan Error message at startup.

When I push power, the 2 fans (case and cpu) do a full 12-volt rush for one second, and then stop for a few seconds. Then they start again at lower speeds after 5 - 10 seconds, with the case fan usually starting a bit earlier. The fans continue to work flawlessly, but in the meantime I get the fan error message at startup, because the system is detecting non-functioning fans.

I used to get around this by setting POST to enhanced instead of quick, allowing time for the fans to kick in before they were tested. Lately my apartment has had cold drafts come in around my computer area, and it's taking longer for the fans to start, coincidentally.
(The fans also take some time to kick in after the system has been in standby for a while.)

I also checked the power supply which seems fine. The fans run at full blast when I turn off the Lenovo Fan Policy in BIOS, so I don't think it's a power issue.

So I need to know if this a sensible theory:
My computer is cold, therefore the fans don't activate until the cpu heats up, especially lately when the winter intruding air makes the computer even colder. Before the fans get started the computer detects them as not functioning and creates the error message.

Is it safe to assume everything is fine and ignore the fan error message?

Thanks
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 4:18:53 PM

Hi,

The full RPM burst for a second is common but the complete stop for a few seconds seems unusual to me, have you tried connecting one of the fans directly to the PSU rather than to the motherboard and if so does it behave the same?

You could also try changing ACPI to S3 in the BIOS or you may have an option to turn off CPU fan detection.

Even if your computer was extremely cold I would still expect the fans to start immediately and stay on.
Score
February 18, 2013 11:00:20 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi,

The full RPM burst for a second is common but the complete stop for a few seconds seems unusual to me, have you tried connecting one of the fans directly to the PSU rather than to the motherboard and if so does it behave the same?

You could also try changing ACPI to S3 in the BIOS or you may have an option to turn off CPU fan detection.

Even if your computer was extremely cold I would still expect the fans to start immediately and stay on.

Hi, the acpi was already at s3, but I don't think that's the issue since that handles the stand-by power settings (i believe)

I don't know how I can connect the fans directly to the power source, but I do have an old fan which actually has the big white 4-pin peripheral connector, so after the computer cools I'll try it. The Lenovo fan policy is the fan detect, and the fans go full blast when I turn it off. This too I will have to test after the computer cools.

This leads to the most interesting point: whether powering on fresh, or activating from standby, if the system has been "off" for only a couple minutes the fans start up immediately and continue without stopping. After a long power off period the fans take time to start up.

When testing this I entered BIOS to check the temperature.
After powering down for only 2 minutes the cpu was around 20C and this is when the fans did not stop.
When I powered on for the first time today, after a long off period, I went straight to BIOS and the cpu was only at 14C, (and it must have been even colder before I reached BIOS). Of course the fans took their time to start, as I described above.

My machine is peculiar, but I really believe that the fans are responding to actual cooling needs: a cold computer doesn't need to be cooled.

This has always been the case since I bought the computer over a year ago. It just got worse at the time that my room got colder.
Score
Related resources
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 19, 2013 5:54:04 AM

thefixer said:
Hi, the acpi was already at s3, but I don't think that's the issue since that handles the stand-by power settings (i believe)

I don't know how I can connect the fans directly to the power source, but I do have an old fan which actually has the big white 4-pin peripheral connector, so after the computer cools I'll try it. The Lenovo fan policy is the fan detect, and the fans go full blast when I turn it off. This too I will have to test after the computer cools.

This leads to the most interesting point: whether powering on fresh, or activating from standby, if the system has been "off" for only a couple minutes the fans start up immediately and continue without stopping. After a long power off period the fans take time to start up.

When testing this I entered BIOS to check the temperature.
After powering down for only 2 minutes the cpu was around 20C and this is when the fans did not stop.
When I powered on for the first time today, after a long off period, I went straight to BIOS and the cpu was only at 14C, (and it must have been even colder before I reached BIOS). Of course the fans took their time to start, as I described above.

My machine is peculiar, but I really believe that the fans are responding to actual cooling needs: a cold computer doesn't need to be cooled.

This has always been the case since I bought the computer over a year ago. It just got worse at the time that my room got colder.

Yeah you'll need a fan with a molex connection ("big white 4-pin peripheral connector") or a 3/4 pin to molex adapter.

Can you disable the Lenovo fan detect?

wow 14C! your abient room temp most be freezing...

I look forward to your test results
Score
February 19, 2013 10:54:52 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Yeah you'll need a fan with a molex connection ("big white 4-pin peripheral connector") or a 3/4 pin to molex adapter.

Can you disable the Lenovo fan detect?

wow 14C! your abient room temp most be freezing...

I look forward to your test results

Okay, so I powered on this morning with the peripheral fan direct to power attached. While the other fans took their usual time to start, the peripheral fan ran immediately and without stopping at all, so the power was flowing fine.

After a few hours down time I powered on with the Lenovo Fan Policy disabled. The fans did the initial burst, then stopped for 2 seconds (much briefer than usual but still stopped) then continued at full throttle. But get this: I went straight to BIOS and the cpu temp was 5C!

I quickly re-enabled the fan policy and powered down before literally freezing my computer. Something else I noticed is that the case fan sometimes stops even after it's been on for a while, like when I have the case open, then starts up again.

My final analysis is that I should be happy to be blessed with what seems to be a very efficiently cooled cpu and energy saving fan system. The only actual "problem" is that 0135 Fan Error message with the 2 beeps. But that goes away and the computer runs just fine, so I figure I should just ignore the message.

If you check this thread I found you'll see someone had a similar issue and the solution was not to worry about it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/346148-28-starts-spin...
Score
February 25, 2013 4:08:28 PM

Best answer selected by thefixer.
Score
February 25, 2013 4:08:29 PM

the room temp has been warmer the last couple days and no fan error!
Score
!