Windows not booting with new OC

samqweqwe

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
hello,
i have the AMD phenom II X6 1090T processor and the Asus m5 a97 pro. the bios for the asus mobo has 3 settings: power saving, normal and asus optimal. i have had it on optimal for while. optimal oc the processor for 3.2GHz to 3.7GHz. i have been trying to get this to 4GHz manually and i have but windows 7 does not like it and switches the computer off. I have tried a few different ways of getting it 4GHz but none of them work. I have been changing the CPU ratio, CPU Bus/PEG frequency and reducing the memory frequency as they are sensitive to OCing. When i get the CPU speed to 4GHz i save and restart the computer and then let it boot up but when it gets past the bios (which works fine) windows comes up with two options: windows repair and start windows normally. when i click windows start normally windows starts to load for about 1 second after the animation started and freezes. Then a blue screen with text flashes up and then it shuts down. I cannot read it as the computer is turn off straight away. as soon as i put it back to the original settings it works fine again.

how can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Seems like your new O/C is very unstable, have you tried booting in at 3.8/3.9Ghz?

I expect the problem is not enough Vcore but I don't know your temps and current voltage so that's why I'm suggesting you reduce the clock slightly rather than add more volts.

samqweqwe

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
i have tried 3.8GHz and i keep the voltages the same. the Temperature i dont think are high as at 3.7GHz on idle was ~28'C and on load i think was ~45'C. from what i know is that at 4GHz it runs at 45'C on the BIOS

That's good, temps are acceptable and it's stable.

If you're going to try for 4Ghz then you'll probably need more Vcore again, make sure you stay below 1.55V

Try something alot lower to start off with though, if it doesn't boot in with 1.425V then try 1.435V ETC...

Yes it is safe, however I would make sure the DRAM and timings are what they should be, if you are not sure what they should be then you can check on the side of the RAM sticks (should be a small sticker with the info on it).
Also make sure that the overclock is still stable if the RAM frequency has changed, Prime95's blend mode tests the RAM aswell as the CPU so you can use that to ensure the RAM is still stable.

samqweqwe

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I use AIDA64 and i see the CPU is at 100% as it should be during the test but the RAM is only on 25% usage. I have 3 sticks of 4GB. is the RAM being tested?

Well it is being tested but not heavily, Like I mentioned before, prime95's blend mode also tests the RAM, you can also manually enter the amount of RAM you want to be tested ( in your case you could enter 4000MB/4GB).

They're other programs that test RAM aswell like memtest.

It's alittle too high, like I said before you really want to be staying below 62C, having said that stability testing will make your processor run hotter than nearly anything you'd use your computer for on a daily basis.

TRENDING THREADS