Major Impact in FPS even thought my PC is high-end (sort of)

HI

i'm new to the sight so plz don't put negative comments in this post

3 months ago, my mom bought me a PC since i got promoted to the secondary level. Here's the specs:

ATI Radeon 4890
Intel Quad Core 2.66
Gigabyte BIOS
16 Gb of RAm
Windows XP proffesional 64-bit

2-3 weeks since i bought my new computer, i was able to run any game in maxed out settings like Crysis, Fallout 3 etc. But this days, im experiencing a major drop in fps. I searched all forums through the internet. They said "change to XP, or change the graphic driver, format you PC and check for viruses". I've done everything. but still, no luck. I tried to open my case, and clean the dusts on the graphic card. But still, the graphic card is killing. I seached for problems in the hdd and memory leaks but it appears theres no problems.

Plz help >< i alwas get a low fps in all games like around 20-30 fps. Any suggestions would be appreciated ^^
20 answers Last reply
More about major impact thought high sort
  1. run GPU-Z, makes sure your video card is running up to spec
  2. wat is GPU-Z? 9 (sry, i'm not that good in computers)
  3. my average GPU temperature is 75 degrees
  4. but i still can't understand why my fps is shuttering :S

is it bcoz of CPU throttling?
  5. Daflip said:
    wat is GPU-Z? 9 (sry, i'm not that good in computers)

GPU-z is a software used to monitor your gpu's temp. You can use it to check the temp levels of the gpu during game paly.
  6. it's around 80 degrees when i play a game
  7. XP 64-bit is a bit problematic. Anyway, if your problem is in Crysis that's simply the way the game was made. It becomes tougher on your system as the game goes on so you may want to lower your settings.
  8. If you experience the problem in other games, especially in the same level at the same settings, then yeah something could be wrong.
  9. 80 degrees with a 4890 is perfectly good - they run hot.

So if you cannot run the same games the same way, then you have to look at your system. We cannot tell you what is wrong - you have to look.

Either the graphics or CPU are running hot and then slowing down. Graphics looks fine so that is not the problem.
    Run a program to look at CPU temps. Google it.

What else changed? Did you install or change something? How many processes are running? I like 40 or less.
    Did you change the resolution?
    Virus scanners will sometimes kick off when a game is running which causes stuttering.
    Is the disk light/LED flashing when it starts stuttering?
  10. 1: List the games you are having problems with
    2: Windows XP Pro 64-bit; Am I the only person to notice 64-bit XP listed as the OS?
  11. @gamerk16
    the games are: Dragons age:origins, Assasin's Creed II, BF BC2 (with AA on) and Fallout 3. I have no problems with the others
  12. Daflip said:
    wat is GPU-Z? 9 (sry, i'm not that good in computers)

GPU-Z
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

run GPU-Z to make sure your card's memory, clock, shader, etc., are all running to factory spec. In order to find your problem, you need to know what is working correctly.

you can also download CPU-Z and do the same thing with the CPU
  13. sorry, i change from vista home premium 64-bit to Xp Pro 32-bit, not 64-bit

but i also experience some FPS drop in vista
  14. Can the Virtual memory cause this?
  15. Daflip said:
    HI

3 months ago, my mom bought me a PC since i got promoted to the secondary level. Here's the specs:

Explain. Is that reffering to an honor's program at a high school?

If it's a managerial promotion at a job, why is you're mother still supporting you and buying you expensive gifts?
  16. builderbobftw said:
    Explain. Is that reffering to an honor's program at a high school?

If it's a managerial promotion at a job, why is you're mother still supporting you and buying you expensive gifts?

Isn't this rather personal?
  17. Im still realy curious, what the hell is secondry level?
  18. Umm... technicially, Grade 7
  19. LULZ,

You got "promoted" to the 7th grade?
  20. lolz,

sory for my bad english.

But that's not the point.
    the point is: why am i experiencing a major drop in almost every games?
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics