Solved

Starting out gaming PC $400-$500

Im just starting to get into PC gaming and want to play new games coming out such as Napoleon Total War. My current computer can not take the load so i'm looking into buying/building a new computer but I'm new to this so I figured I would as the experts what would you recommend for a half decent gaming setup that wont break the bank and still can do some graphic damage playing games.
Thanks for all the help.
59 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about starting gaming
  1. Best answer
    Up to 1680 x 1050 mid/high depending on how resource intensive game is hehe
    $463 AR

Edit - MSI GTS250 dropped 5 bucks wee~
  2. $493

Nice batuchka, I though personally would take this build over that one though, however both are great

*EDIT* Nice, the samsung F3's are in again.
  3. thank you both very much which on build do you think will generate a better graphic outcome?
  4. My build will play games slightly better. the HD 4850 and GTS 250 are almost identical in performance.

However my build has a 700W power supply, 200 mhz faster processor, and a full size board (Not micro) which is a big plus.

His case is also micro atx, which is much smaller, not as good at cooling but is fine.

I would take my suggested build but switch to his HD as it is much faster.
  5. Also with that CPU will the computer be "quick" I was looking at diffrent ones but I trust you guys more than myself
  6. thank you whitefang
  7. Yes that is the best CPU for gaming under $120.

It's a very fast triple core. The 4th core is completely useless in games, so 3 cores is perfect.
  8. jmfranklin164 said:
    thank you both very much which on build do you think will generate a better graphic outcome?

Depends on game but GTS 250 runs cooler for the most part ^^ My selected case is specifically for small footprint gaming rigs as it is 2 x 120mm fans capable (a fav along with the mATX Cooler Master 341 hehe) and comes with a rear one preinstalled - whitefang's config with higher heat generation and poorly ventilated case is some cause for concern....
  9. any extra fans needed? and would you recommend a different case for I had a little extra money? and would this set up give me area to grow and upgrade?
  10. Also are these cards easy overlocked?
  11. I would hit a Nexus 120mm case fan and install in front of case for about $10 hehe YMMV for clocking
  12. any different cases? would this set up give me area to grow and upgrade? sorry for being a little redundant
  13. batuchka said:
    I would hit a Nexus 120mm case fan and install in front of case for about $10 hehe YMMV for clocking

YMMV?
  14. If u want more room to work with go with an ATX case with reasonable cooling (at least 2 x 120mm capable intake/exhaust) and clearance for big GPUs else for a budget investment it's good to go YMMV - your mileage may vary
  15. and so spec wise batuchka yours is better all around and will play games like a charm well along with being quick and cool and quite?
  16. Yep build lots exactly like these ^^ The twin froz cooling solution on that GPU is also great ^^
  17. batuchka said:
    If u want more room to work with go with an ATX case with reasonable cooling (at least 2 x 120mm capable intake/exhaust) and clearance for big GPUs else for a budget investment it's good to go YMMV - your mileage may vary

Is there a different setup you would recommend then and YMMV meaning that if I overclock I can mess up the card and shorten its life span?
  18. Every chip/card OCs differently but for entry level gaming even at stock i dun see a problem really
  19. Because I want to be able to not have to in a year turn around and rebuild because I want to grow a little bit?
  20. batuchka said:
    Every chip/card OCs differently but for entry level gaming even at stock i dun see a problem really

haha ok so will your original build be able to upgrade with time? or what would you recommend instead>?
  21. Antec 200/NZXT Beta EVO case with a bigger PSU but be prepared to fork out more for the same gaming performance though
  22. I disagree, the setup I chose is a much better build over batuchkas. The only advantage batuchka has is supposedly a better case for cooling, which I still disagree upon.

Let's go down on the parts.

MotherBoard: Biostar M-ATX < Asrock 770 ATX + CFX
    VideoCard: However the GTS 250 might run cooler, the 4850 beats the GTS 250 in most games.
    Powersupply: OCZ ModXtreme pro 700W > OCZ ModXtreme pro 500W
    CPU: Rana 435 2.9 ghz > Rana 425 2.7 ghz
    DVD: The same
    HD: Switch to his Samsung Spintpoint F3 as it is faster, didn't know they had them in stock.

Only thing that could possibly be at a disadvantage is the case, although I'm pretty sure a ATX case would be better at cooling then any other M-atx case no matter how many fans there is.

Switch to this case with free shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119161

Or this case and your in a win win situation
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129070&cm_re=antec_case-_-11-129-070-_-Product
  23. batuchka said:
    Antec 200/NZXT Beta EVO case with a bigger PSU but be prepared to fork out more for the same gaming performance though

so would you recommend just sticking with your build and building a new one when im ready will your build go SLI? and do you have any other recommendations for the case that would still work with your other parts?
  24. jmfranklin164 said:
    so would you recommend just sticking with your build and building a new one when im ready will your build go SLI? and do you have any other recommendations for the case that would still work with your other parts?

If you wanted Crossfire (Sli is for nvidia cards) I would look at 500W+ of a quality brand (better then OCZ) Or a OCZ 600-700W PSU.
  25. whitefang said:
    If you wanted Crossfire (Sli is for nvidia cards) I would look at 500W+ of a quality brand (better then OCZ) Or a OCZ 600-700W PSU.

Is one card good enough or is two really make a big diffrence Im really into graphics I love beautiful games and I want to make sure which ever way I go it will look amazing? what do you recomend
  26. A single video card is always the way to go. Crossfire/sli is meant for an upgrade option down the road. So if you find you can't play the games you want at the desired settings then you can pop in another 4850 / gts 250 and it can help a lot.

You should look up some benchmarks.
  27. so is your build with the antec 200 the way 2 so I will be able 2 upgrade from that later on like crossfire and whatnot what upgrades would you recommend down the line and what do you mean by benchmarks?
  28. The antec 200 is a nice sized ATX case that will have every thing you need for future upgrades.

Benchmarks are when people run a game with a specific PC setup and record there FPS they got.

Search in google 4850 or gts 250 benchmark, 4850 crossfire benchmark etc. To see what it can do in games.

Down the road the first thing you would probably want to do is upgrade the video card. If you went with the OCZ 700W I suggested your upgrade path expands a bit so you can fit in a 5770, 5850, or even a 5870. So the video card would be the first thing to be upgraded.
  29. I just got done watching a video about the 200 and it says the venting is a bit on the bad side also will the 700W contend with crossfire?
  30. Like said - at budget points like yours concentrate on best gaming performance for the $$ else u have to be realistic and bump up your budget Once CF/SLI you'd have to go at least 8x/8x PCIex16 gen 2.0 mobo (NOT 16x/4x ) and bigger PSU, yada yada In fact for say a HD 4890CF or higher you'd best hit a full blown 16x/16x CF/SLI mobo....
  31. With my build he already has a bigger PSU. The 8X8 is pretty important, you'd be looking at spending $40 more for that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398
  32. how long do you think realistically this setup will last for good graphics wise? because you recommend just doing this now then when the time comes pay a lil more and build a new 1 um also can you recommend a different case for your set up.
  33. whitefang said:

MotherBoard: Biostar M-ATX < Asrock 770 ATX + CFX
    VideoCard: However the GTS 250 might run cooler, the 4850 beats the GTS 250 in most games.

Please do not recommend a 16x/4x board for CF and do share data/benches on HD 4850 gaming vs GTS 250 in games where it beats the latter
  34. batuchka said:
    Please do not recommend a 16x/4x board for CF and do share data/benches on HD 4850 gaming vs GTS 250 in games where it beats the latter

What do you mean by that?

how long do you think realistically this setup will last for good graphics wise? because you recommend just doing this now then when the time comes pay a lil more and build a new 1 um also can you recommend a different case for your set up
  35. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2756/7

What's your resolution? At 1400x900 the 4850/gts 250 will play most recent games at high settings. I'm guessing you will want to upgrade in a 1-2 years for just the video card. The other parts will still last a while.

Jmfranklin what are you looking for in a case? LED's? See through side panel? What do you want us to suggest? there are a bunch of cases that will work just fine.

*EDIT* Batchuka look at that review, the gts 250 only beats the 4850 at call of duty and only by 3 fps. The 4850 wins on all the other games.
  36. jmfranklin164 said:
    What do you mean by that?

how long do you think realistically this setup will last for good graphics wise? because you recommend just doing this now then when the time comes pay a lil more and build a new 1 um also can you recommend a different case for your set up

Yes for your budget point just go for best frames at reasonable temps (single GPU option for budget rigs) for the $$ For 1680 x 1050 mid prolly good to go for a while else look to upgrade later down the road
  37. I have a monitor I bought a while ago but it is at most 16 inch hd I believe I may buy a new one depending on how it fairs with new build
  38. Then no worries for a 16 incher (am thinking its like 1366 x 768?) GTS 250 would be more than fine
  39. Or a 4850.... :P

Get whichever one is cheapest, they are almost identical with the 4850 winning just barely in some games and with AA turned on.

So again, whichever one is cheapest.
  40. batuchka said:
    Then no worries for a 16 incher (am thinking its like 1440 x 900?) GTS 250 would be more than fine

Do you have a different case suggestion for your build?
  41. what do you have to do to over clock?
  42. whitefang said:
    Or a 4850.... :P

Get whichever one is cheapest, they are almost identical with the 4850 winning just barely in some games and with AA turned on.

So again, whichever one is cheapest.

Thanks for keeping my wallet in mind
  43. jmfranklin164 said:
    Do you have a different case suggestion for your build?

Hmm if this is within your means:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146059
  44. whitefang said:

Will all of theses work with both builds?
  45. Yes, almost any case will work. Just look at the specifications and see if it accepts ATX motherboards.
  46. batuchka said:

Do you recommend it?
    Any extra fans needed?
  47. Yes for a budget case it does a fine job and has good cooling solutions - try the included stock cooling first and look to include more/aftermkt fans down the road
  48. Thank you both very much
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Computer Games Systems Product