Sign in with
Your question

Want to SLI, but can't buy exact card. HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2010 3:15:57 AM

Hey guys,

I want to buy a second GPU and SLI, but I can't buy the same card. I have a BFG Tech GTX275 OCX, and I want another card because I want more than 2 display outputs. If I can't buy the exact same card, could I buy another 275 and be able to run them in SLI?

Thanks in advance.

More about : sli buy exact card

March 16, 2010 3:29:34 AM

thebski said:
Hey guys,

I want to buy a second GPU and SLI, but I can't buy the same card. I have a BFG Tech GTX275 OCX, and I want another card because I want more than 2 display outputs. If I can't buy the exact same card, could I buy another 275 and be able to run them in SLI?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I recently did this with a PNY card and a BFG card. I had trouble because mine were two different vram sizes, but if yours are the same it should be easy. If you do end up going with a different memory size, the lesser of the two is used(if you have a 1gb and a 512, you only get 512. kinda like how RAID 1 works with hard drives. Also, if you get two different sizes you need to setup this thing called coolbits. Other than that, if they are idential other than the brand name, it will be a piece of cake.

Oh, and btw, SLI only works with one display. what you want is to simply add another graphics card to display the secondary screen(s). what I would suggest in this case is that if you aren't going to be gaming on the extra displays, to get something cheaper than the 275. If you want to sometimes game with increased performance on one monitor and other times get the flexability of multiple displays, then it is simple to turn sli on and off for these times.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 3:31:52 AM

yeh, you can buy another GTX275 and they can be SLied. It will downclock to the slowest GTX275.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 5:34:33 AM

Like said before, you can SLI it with any other GTX 275. Even though you cannot find the exact BFG version, try to find another GTX 275 that is at least factory overclocked similarly to the BFG OCX so that you can benefit the most with your SLI. It'll also make your personal OCing less problematic.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 3:02:42 PM

^+3
Just like the others said above... :D 
m
l
!