Sign in with
Your question

Why 4GB of RAM doesn't make any obvious difference to 3GB of RAM?

Last response: in Memory
December 9, 2010 4:05:04 PM

Here is my laptop:
Asus m51sn
Intel Core Duo 1.83Ghz
GeForce 9500 GS 512 RAM
and I just replaced 1x3gb of ram to 2x2gb of ram

I just don't see any visible difference in system and game performance, thinking about returning it and put 1x3gb ram back. What do you think? Thanks
a b } Memory
December 9, 2010 4:13:49 PM

Depends on what Apps you use to access the additional RAM. If an App or process needs only x amount of RAM adding additional RAM is not going to show any noticable difference in the system running the App. Windows 7 64 allocates all the installed system RAM with Superfetch. So 4GB is put to use with Win 7 64. With XP, the extra RAM is not allocated due to the 4GB limit of the 32 bit OS. If you expected the machine to go speed crazy by uggrading system RAM from 3GB to 4, it is not going to happen.

I have not heard of 1 x 3 GB system RAM. The notebook was issued with 2 GB system RAM.

http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=Qe92mgm2F2CdAEoN

Quote from the linked ASUS online product page specs:

DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SODIMM socket for expansion up to 4GB SDRAM
*Due to the 32-bit operation system's limitation, only 3GB will show up with a 4GB memory. The 64-bit operating system will not have this issue. For more information, please check Microsoft's support site:
m
l
December 16, 2010 11:03:09 PM

I dont know how to make it run in dual mode. I thought if U get 2x2gb they will run in dual mode automatically, no? and it is 533Mhz. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2010 11:04:00 PM

badge said:
Depends on what Apps you use to access the additional RAM. If an App or process needs only x amount of RAM adding additional RAM is not going to show any noticable difference in the system running the App. Windows 7 64 allocates all the installed system RAM with Superfetch. So 4GB is put to use with Win 7 64. With XP, the extra RAM is not allocated due to the 4GB limit of the 32 bit OS. If you expected the machine to go speed crazy by uggrading system RAM from 3GB to 4, it is not going to happen.

I have not heard of 1 x 3 GB system RAM. The notebook was issued with 2 GB system RAM.

http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=Qe92mgm2F2CdAEoN

Quote from the linked ASUS online product page specs:

DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SODIMM socket for expansion up to 4GB SDRAM
*Due to the 32-bit operation system's limitation, only 3GB will show up with a 4GB memory. The 64-bit operating system will not have this issue. For more information, please check Microsoft's support site:

Yeah sorry I meant 1x2gb in the first place. Thanks.
m
l
December 26, 2010 11:03:01 PM

Best answer selected by Devol.
m
l
!