My previous HDD was the Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5", and due to an error with the HDD, i made the switch to the WD Caviar Black 7200 1 TB 32MB cache and SATA 6.0Gb/s.
When my PC would boot up withe the seagate, it would list the HDD as a 6GB/s like it was supposed to be. However, the WD is only being displayed as a 3GB/s. Nothing was switched on the board, as the only thing that was done was unplug 1 HDD and plug in the other. Lookin for some advice before I start poking and prodding my war machine. Thanks guys!
wdsspeed utility is giving me the error, "This version is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running". Application must be for 32 bit? I'm running Win 7 64bit. As for the jumper in the rear question, I'll pop it open and check it out. There were 2 jumpers in the back.. And now that you mentioned it, I cannot recall if both were plugged in to the original HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I wouldn't be worried one bit about this 'issue'. SATA3 makes absolutely no difference compared to SATA2 when it comes down to mechanical HDDs apart from that small burst speed from reading file in HDD's cache.
I wasn't too terribly worried, it's just something I came across when I was troubleshooting my computer. I've had the first bluescreens on a windows PC in 7 years recently. At first I believed it to be a bad RealTek Network Card driver, however I had another BSoD today. The problem mostly (75%+ of the time) when waking up from sleep.
So, I turned off all Hard Disk sleep settings, and in the course of doing that I happened to notice that the HDD was only reading as 3GB/s. I know the issue is probably unrelated, but coming here was mostly a safety net to eliminate the possibility that this was the issue