Safe mode

For differents reasons I need to start in safe mode.Reasons are out of
the scope.

Have XP SP2. Since I am SP2 i am enable to start windows in safe mode.
Use F8 on startup or "/safemode" via MSCONFIG.
Every time windows start normally until after the splash screen then reset.
When I used F8, it was OK to restart in normal mode afterwards but when
using the MSCONFIG could not manage to return to normal mode, windows
starting going in loop in reset mode.
Fiddle with recovery tool option "bootcfg" and manage, I do not know
how, to recover my normal mode.

1. Why am I not able to start in safe mode after SP2?
2. How to get out the kind of loop I mention above?
3. Is there any instruction how to use boocfg optimally. The help option
is rather limited.
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about safe mode

    Hi

    Safe Mode really only needs to be accessed for troubleshooting purposes.
    Not sure why you fiddled with 'bootcfg'?? You will now have to boot into
    Safe Mode and try a System restore back to a point before the problem
    started.

    Why do you 'need' to start in Safe Mode??

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Safe Mode really only needs to be accessed for troubleshooting purposes.
    > Not sure why you fiddled with 'bootcfg'?? You will now have to boot into
    > Safe Mode and try a System restore back to a point before the problem
    > started.
    >
    > Why do you 'need' to start in Safe Mode??

    For several reasons:
    The first logical one is that it must work at it should and have the
    possibility to start in safe mode.
    One of the reasons is to set file permissions as in pro version (have
    security tab available).
    I tried the bootcfg because I could not leave the the loop of reset created.

    How am i suppose to start in safe mode if it does not work?
    Thanks for any reply

    > Will Denny wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Safe Mode really only needs to be accessed for troubleshooting purposes.
    >> Not sure why you fiddled with 'bootcfg'?? You will now have to boot into
    >> Safe Mode and try a System restore back to a point before the problem
    >> started.
    >>
    >> Why do you 'need' to start in Safe Mode??
    >>

    > For several reasons:
    > The first logical one is that it must work at it should and have the
    > possibility to start in safe mode.
    > One of the reasons is to set file permissions as in pro version (have
    > security tab available).
    > I tried the bootcfg because I could not leave the the loop of reset
    > created.
    >
    > How am i suppose to start in safe mode if it does not work?
    > Thanks for any reply

    Hi

    1. Yes a good precaution
    2. Why not set the file permissions via normal mode? Can't see the
    advantage of setting them via Safe Mode.
    3. 'bootcfg' is used to check the hard disks and the result used to edit
    the boot.ini file. What error(s) did you have relating to the boot.ini
    file?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User